• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,121 through 6,160 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • v8ninety

Ideology is for dictators.

Bollocks. Although, with a ‘flexible’ attitude to morality like that, you’d have been okay in 1930s Germany I suppose. Might have even got a nice shiny Hugo Boss uniform out of it, too…

ferrals
    Free Member

if so, it’s not really a clear mandate for anything particularly useful is it?

See previous post re. tory proportion of vote (hint, its 45%)

I’m not convinced independance would win a second ref., but I think its fair enoguh for them to try. I fear for Wales’s status in the union if they do become independant, as we’d jsut be an even more minor concern at westmister

Sinn Fean (sp.?) also want a referendum for NI given the NI MP composition.

Cougar

Anyone interested to hear what the most prominent demographics were in the Lab > Con shifts?

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-the-map-of-british-politics-has-been-redrawn-11885274

I know, I was shocked too.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Nahh, the Nazis were principled in their own heads.

Truly ideologically unprincipled people understand that no ideology is worth the harm ideologues can cause.

Labour need more flexible mercenary like characters again to be able to take the fight to the conservatives.

TiRed

Posted that earlier cougar. Very strong correlations noted in labour swing with education and work. The public got what the votes for. The working classes wanted Brexit and that’s what they voted for. Labour were not offering it.

grahamt1980

Tbf labour need someone who is seen to actually be effective as an opposition leader, rather than a bumbling old fart who isn’t aware enough to call out issues in Parliament or in interviews.
    he just came across as someone who really didn’t want to win or be pm.

nick1962
    Free Member

Boris was described today as ideology lite,not good on detail more of a broad brush approach to issues and relatively liberal.An ERG type zealot as leader would be far worse.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Yup, Boris is a bloody walk in the park compared to what would happen if we had a principled headbanger like Mark Francois or Rees-Mogg.

bikebouy
    Free Member

@bikebuoy – crap flounce dude

&

@cougar

Yeah, well I’m not in a good place ATM. So thanks for commenting.

I understand all too well the intricacies of this current political situation. I am up to speed with all the daily issues we’ve read/witnessed.

It wasn’t a flounce per-se’ more a case of nothing more to add, that hasn’t already been said.

Cheers.

Its Friday o’clock…

Cougar

? Wasn’t me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Daft sod.

Plaid Cymru then? You’re spoilt for choice.

Cougar

Posted that earlier cougar. Very strong correlations noted in labour swing with education and work.

Very strong correlations noted in Tory swing with lack of education and age.

5thElefant
    Free Member

They just won a load of working class constituencies.

v8ninety

It’s a dearth in the ability/desire to critically analyse what is read on Facebook/Twitter/gutter press/memes shared on WhatsApp that makes people so vulnerable to this modern style of propaganda.

Correlation is entirely predictable I think. Sad.

bruneep

@Del wrote:

I distinctly remember sturgeon saying that this election wasn’t about Scottish independence before it happened. Funny how quickly things change.

It wasn’t! It was about being dragged out of EU against what Scotland voted for, now that looks more than likely that we will be dragged out of EU after yesterdays results.

Why shouldn’t we now focus on independence so Scotland can seek joining the EU as a separate nation?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The SNP has the advantage of being Scottish in an English dominated world.

Exactly. Think Catalans, Quebec, Georgia etc. Northern Ireland is going that way if these results are a guide.

They don’t even need a slogan, for the most part it’s a simple Crosby, type message right in the name.

If it ever happened they’d end up were the UK is now. Once you’ve lost your USP, you’ve got to have an actual plan.

bikebouy
    Free Member

? Wasn’t me.

You quoted a bit of my post and answered…

AD

This is a thoroughly depressing read – my hometown.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-results-boris-johnson-conservatives-workington-man-a9245496.html

We just got rid of an excellent local MP (Sue Hayman) and voted in ex-UKIPer.

Well at least the ‘spoons at 8am’ denizens are happy.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

They just won a load of working class constituencies.

That voted leave. The graphic which showed that Lab. lost votes to Con and brexit in strong leave areas and to SNP and Lib Dem in strong remain ones.

That and Cummings literally telling everyone it was about brexit today.

The structural problems in the labour party are absolutely a problem but they weren’t the problem this time around. Even the opponents spad is saying that.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It is about winning. If you don’t win it’s because what you have to offer isn’t what people want. In a democracy a politicians job is to do what the people want.

No, in a democracy people choose the politicians whose ideas align with their own. A politicians job is to deliver on their promises if they get chosen

BruceWee

Sturgeon didn’t push IndyRef2, that’s true. She made it all about stopping Brexit. 75% of people in Scotland voted for parties pledging to stop Brexit or offer a 2nd referendum with a remain option. The SNP couldn’t have a stronger mandate to do everything in their power to stop Scotland leaving the EU.

The party who wouldn’t shut up about IndyRef2 was the Tories. Voters deserted them.

After 2017 the Tories were quick to jump on the SNP’s loss of seats as a sign that independence was dead. By bringing Indyref2 front and centre they’ve managed to gift the SNP a mandate to pursue independence as one of the options for keeping Scotland in the EU.

kelvin

The SNP isn’t just about independence. Whenever I do one of those online questionnaires that match your own policies to that of the parties, they always suggest that the SNP are the closest match, yet I’m in England, and don’t want Scotland to break away. I think those over simplifying and claiming the SNP only get support in Scotland because they have Scottish in the name should do more research.

v8ninety

A politicians job is to deliver on their promises if they get chosen

Exactly. I’d add that it’s their job to try to convince/educate the electorate as to why their ideology is attractive too. It’s NOT a principled politician’s job to flap around in the breeze of public opinion trying to please everyone; that’s populism, and leads to dark places.

zip
    Free Member

Great result for the country, affirming the sentiment of the majority. The fact that Labour held seats in predominantly University constituencies resonates their target voters – unqualified, inexperienced, easily influenced, idealistic day dreamers. I was one once. Thankfully the country has elected the best of a bad bunch of dross, given the limited options. Would the markets would have reacted the same way if Corbyn had slipped through the net? I think not. After all, most remainers’ main argument seems to be the economy, is it not?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Cougar

Posted that earlier cougar. Very strong correlations noted in labour swing with education and work.

Oh I understand what you guys are saying now. Basically it was the thickies and feeble-minded who don’t understand what they are doing that made the difference for the Tories. But wait, weren’t these the same morons who put Labour into power in the past? Splitters…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No, in a democracy people choose the politicians whose ideas align with their own.

Replace happy with principled/ideological.

Cougar

You quoted a bit of my post and answered…

Oh, did I? Sorry, my bad then, I don’t pay much attention to usernames.

kelvin

NHS A&E stats released today… and they’re even worse than the last lot, which were already the worst since records began… great timing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s just an age thing. Snowflakes have degrees and snowflakes want free stuff from the old beardy man in red this time of year.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Oh and if people do vote for ideologies, policies and principles – that kind of supports what we’re saying. Obviously they rejected Corbyns in this scenario.

v8ninety

Basically it was the thickies and feeble-minded who don’t understand what they are doing

Don’t forget the terminally selfish and nasty, and sadly decent people who’ve been misled in their droves. Which category do you put yourself in? Seriously, as you only feel able to join the political discourse from the safety of having won, how DO you justify voting for the dishonest, self serving, nasty bunch of **** that you did? Have you got a friend who’s a nurse in Leeds hospital by any chance?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Don’t forget the terminally selfish and nasty, and sadly decent people who’ve been misled in their droves. Which category do you put yourself in? Seriously, as you only feel able to join the political discourse from the safety of having won, how DO you justify voting for the dishonest, self serving, nasty bunch of **** that you did? Have you got a friend who’s a nurse in Leeds hospital by any chance?

Oh no, a non-believer in the echo chamber!

v8ninety

Oh and if people do vote for ideologies, policies and principles

They* don’t. They vote for personalities and sound bites. Doesn’t mean politicians should abandon principles. Just means they need more convincing personalities and better sound bites to sell them with, I guess.

Oh no, a non-believer in the echo chamber!

Absolutely! Pity he didn’t pipe up before really; it wouldn’t have been such an echo chamber then, would it?

*massive generalisation obvs; people vote for lots of reasons

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m reminded of the old adage that “the only thing worse than a bad loser, is a bad winner”

somafunk

So when do get to read the investigation into russian political interference?, or will this be canned by boris under his new mandate to do whatever he **** wants?

13thfloormonk

Yeah, there do seem to be a few new names floating around, quiet Tories? Why so quiet before the fact?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Arguing with lefties is not as much fun as you might think.

TomZesty
    Free Member

As an English Conservative voter, I believe the Scots should be given their second referendum. I can’t understand why we would or should deny it. Its a win win. The Scottish electorate get their say. If they vote to remain in the UK, they prove pretty decisively they want to stay as there would be two confirming votes in a decade, and Sturgeon would have to leave it alone. If they vote to leave, good on them and good luck, it’s their decision. I personally think it would ruin them, but it’s not my say and if its what they want, go for it. It won’t hurt England at all if they do leave (certainly not in the long run), if anything we’ll probably be slightly better off thanks to the Barnet formula.

Riksbar

What are the odds on the report on foreign interference in U.K. vote and democracy seeing the light of day now?

jekkyl

This hasn’t been an election in the conventional sense, it’s been a meme war!

Viewing 40 posts - 6,121 through 6,160 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.