• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,401 through 5,440 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • kimbers

Do I go on my ge avoiding, very damp night ride, os say fk it & crack open the beers once the kids ha e gone down?

Certain it’ll be a Tory win, so we’re all **** anyway, right?

crazy-legs

On that point I like the facebook posts saying that if you want to really vote for Boris and Brexit, make sure to put an X in both boxes to reinforce the point. (if you’re dumb enough to do that you probably shouldn’t be trusted with the pencil they give you let alone a vote)

I saw a similar post saying that due to anticpated very high demand at polling stations, if Labour and Lib Dem voters could please come along on Thursday and Conservative / Brexit could all do Friday, that would ease the queues nicely.

v8ninety

Anyone else feel an uneasy, sicky feeling in the pit of their stomach? I’m not normally massively bothered, but this election… it’s really got to me. 🤢

My other half thinks I’m bonkers to be bothered 😏

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m going to call it now. Nicola Sturgeon will be the next PM.

That would be a constitutional stretch but still probably more chance than Jo Swinson!
    People of East Dunbartonshire please vote Jo out of parliament altogether

curto80
    Free Member

Bit more movement towards a HP in the betting markets over the last hour…

AlexSimon

Anyone else feel an uneasy, sicky feeling in the pit of their stomach?

Yes. I don’t think I’ve ever thought that one of the options would be so damaging before.

crazy-legs

Yes, very but then I’ve had that feeling since the morning after the 2016 referendum.

doomanic

My Tory MP had a majority of 23,326 in 2017, all I can hope for is that it’ll be a bit leaner this time around.

alpin
    Free Member

I’ve had that feeling since the morning after the 2016 referendum.

VERY much this…..

ctk
    Free Member

My constituency – Vale of Glamorgan could be close. Not a massive fan of Welsh Labour for local reasons but this is definitely not a win win situation! Hope Cairns is kicked out!

amedias
    Free Member

Overheard in the corner shop from the mouth of mouthy flat-capped pensioner:

“Course I voted for boris, can’t vote for corbyn or he’ll let all the terrorists in”

🙁

twistedpencil

Like @crazy-legs had this sinking feeling since the 2016 referendum.  I’m slowly coming to accept that on the whole we’re not a nice bunch as otherwise why would we keep voting for parties that screw the 99%?

What makes this whole kerfuffle worse is that if we don’t care for our fellow country folk how are we going to minimise the impact that the cluster muck that is climate change is going to have?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, really am quite concerned about the outcome of this one. I can imagine this being studies generations in the future as the knee point of the sudden decline.

wukfit
    Free Member
    v8ninety

It doesn’t feel over dramatic (well maybe a bit) to feel a bit like this might be the UK’s 1933 moment.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m always nervous, but this is the most drastic turning point election I can remember. Not since Thatcher have the alternatives been more drastically different.

somafunk

Nah, whatever happens with how the vote goes south of the border i figure that Scotland will vote accordingly and independence at the earliest opportunity will be the only possible outcome, i do feel sorry for those down south who are stuck with a bunch of **** ruling over them but there’s plenty of room up here if you wish to escape from the delusional brexit at all costs mass hysteria.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As with Somafunk I can see only one way it’s going to go if the UK does go to shit.

We might still sink but it’s easier to bail out a lifeboat than a cruise ship.

RustySpanner

“I’m alright Jock”? 🙂

tjagain

Yup – because whatever happens we are in for more turmoil – a lot of it. If Westminster goes tory then Scotland will go independent – with all the turmoil that brings. If its a hung parliament then its turmoil anyway

tjagain

Rusty – its not a nice feeling but we do at least have an escape hatch up here. Scotland has not voted for tories for something like 60 years now.

It would feel like leaving my friends down south to their fate rather

Ro5ey
    Free Member

V8…. We had a small run in yday…. But believe it or not, we’re probably on the same “side”

I’m with your wife…. It’s gonna be OK.

I believe in the un-reported Tory swing vote….. For all those who would have voted Labour but are drawn to brexit… There are an equal number who know Boris is a lying toad and will not vote for him.

molgrips
    Free Member

If Scotland goes independent, they should (if they know what they are doing) allow immigration from rUK. I might move.

tjagain

So done my civic duty and voted – icluding a proxy vote in a differnt constituency. turnout looks high up here.

Hung parliament looking more likely to me now an I am hping for a few “Portillo moments” – with Swinson at the top of the list jointly with Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaab

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe it’s time to start thinking about where in Scotland would best suit us.

Somewhere warm, sunny and no midgies?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just read this gem:

“There was a sweet old lady outside the polling station with a blue rosette, meaning she was a representative of the conservative party. I went to the presiding polling officer and said I felt threatened by her. She looked at me and asked “Seriously?” I said yes with a big grin. They had to ask her to leave. “

ads678

I’ve been dreading this day since the brexit referendum, I just hope it doesn’t completely go to shit. Anything but Tory would be a win at the moment.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking on the drive home – Labour seem to have come up with a slew of new policies for the manifesto and just afterwards. I wonder if this is in recognition of the fact that they best they can hope for is a coalition, and they stuffed their manifesto so they have stuff they can cut when their potential partner demands it (i.e. free broadband). And if they don’t get the chance to form a coalition then it’s immaterial.

scotroutes

Yes, very but then I’ve had that feeling since the morning after the 2016 referendum.

I had it 2 years before that and it’s been worse than I’d imagined it could be.

v8ninety

V8…. We had a small run in yday…. But believe it or not, we’re probably on the same “side”

Yep and for that I apologise. Bit wound up and snappy at the moment. I admire your optimism and hope that you’re correct.

curto80
    Free Member

The movement in the odds is interesting – the pace of change is glacial but the direction of travel is definitely convergence of Tory majority v no overall majority

squirrelking
    Free Member

“I’m alright Jock”? 🙂

I know it’s probably said in jest but absolutely not. I’m under no illusions that independence wouldn’t be an easy ride and would throw up as many problems as brexit already does (land borders being a major one). However when you have nothing to lose I’d rather try my luck that way.

I’d sincerely hope rUK would be welcome as well.

If Labour got this I wonder how they will counter an Indyref? Federalism? Finally get all the devolved parliaments on an equal footing. Because we’re not falling for another promise it’s just going to be better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Every nation gets the government it deserves.

Which, if true, means that a Tory win is perhaps the least if this country’s problems

crazy-legs

I think there’s a few fairly basic fixes that should be done to explain certain things to people things.

So every time you visit a doctor, go to hospital, have any treatment whatsoever, you get a bill stating the full breakdown of costs and it would be nice if it said “your x-ray technician was Polish, your doctor was Dutch, the cleaner on your ward was from Croatia, the nurses were from Romania, Bulgaria, Spain and Czech Republic….

At the bottom, it would say “paid by NHS, drug safety and management by EU” and then a warning like you get on cigarette packets saying
    “could you have afforded this without the NHS?”
    “immigrants saved your life”

An urgent overhaul of media rules around elections and minor things like – oh I dunno – not lying. A requirement for all party leaders to attend certain interviews on all channels, none of this weaselling out of it like BJ did with Andrew Neil. Full costed manifesto plans printed in full in all national newspapers.

None of that is actually that difficult or controversial. I spent a few days in a Swiss hospital (thankfully covered by EHIC and insurance) but the insurance company got a full breakdown of every drug, meal and operation I had along with a bloody big bill. I have no doubt that every doctor, surgeon and nurse was also fully traceable on that.

To be honest that’s fairly basic audit trail stuff. Sadly we’re so far down the rabbit hole of 24hr rolling news where everyone is desperate to be first so elementary things like fact-checking sort of fall by the wayside and a population that can’t think in more than 280 characters and certainly won’t read past the headline that I think we’ve become the architects of our own demise. Got a worrying feeling that The Hunger Games was not a dystopian sci-fi series but actually a documentary about the UK in 2025.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone won yet 🤷‍♂️🤪

kerley
    Free Member

If Scotland goes independent, they should (if they know what they are doing) allow immigration from rUK. I might move.

I’m tempted. There is a large office there with the company I work for and my wife works for NHS. The cold and wet weather is the only thing stopping me really.

woodster

Voted nice and early this morning.

Labour have been campaigning pretty hard here so I’m holding out hope. The tories clearly think it’s a pretty safe seat and have been very quiet.

molgrips
    Free Member

So very British:

The Labour party leader, Jeremy Corbyn, was greeted by supporters and a lone protester as he and his wife, Laura Alvarez, arrived to cast their votes in his constituency of Islington North in London. Footage appeared to show the female protester, who was dressed as Elmo from Sesame Street, remonstrating with security guards and police who tried to block her, before Corbyn intervened to ask: “Hello guys, can we stop the arguing please?”

RustySpanner

I know it’s probably said in jest but absolutely not. I’m under no illusions that independence wouldn’t be an easy ride and would throw up as many problems as brexit already does (land borders being a major one). However when you have nothing to lose I’d rather try my luck that way.

It was said in envy. 🙂

If it wasn’t for the grandkids, we’d be there already.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Think I figured out where his strategy came from.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,401 through 5,440 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.