• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,081 through 5,120 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Have you thought through the implications of a 4 day week?

Yes, increased productivity while at the same time workers working less hours and enjoying their lives more.

I doubt many people’s words on their deathbed are “I wish I spent more more hours of my life working for company x”

That’ll be a “no” then! 🙂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Nobody is lying about the “Inclusive Ownership Fund”

Oh, it exists and is in the manifesto, which wasn’t published when the FT did their ‘analysis’.
    The lie was and is that they were going to steal shares from your pension fund. That was never true yet you were terrified of it happening you claim to have moved your funds.
    So can you show where it says they are going to steal shares in private ownership, or is that a lie? Since you moved your funds, you either didn’t know it was a lie, or you went to great lengths to propogate the lie.

v8ninety

People are more important than money but people’s work has a market rate.

That’s a very disingenuous statement. What happens to the (ever increasing) pool of people who get priced out of the market value by machines or outsourcing?

If your job could be outsourced because of a 20% increase in costs that a four day week would cost, why can’t it be outsourced now? I’m sure potential savings would be greater than 20% if you look east?

Admittedly this is a far bigger problem than we can hope small minded domestic politics will be able to solve. It’s probably going to be the problem that brings humanity to its knees within the next century.

slowoldman

Have you thought through the implications of a 4 day week?

3 days off?

jet26
    Free Member

Four day week great idea. Probably not achievable for many NHS staff, or certainly not a 32hr week.

outofbreath
    Free Member

If your job could be outsourced because of a 20% increase in costs that a four day week would cost, why can’t it be outsourced now? I’m sure potential savings would be greater than 20% if you look east?

Already has. 75pc of people in my role are in Eastern Europe now. That’s why I’m not mad keen on the cost of ‘me’ going up by 20pc while I’m no longer available for a whole day every week.

If I thought I could sensibly negotiate that kind of deal, I already would have!

dovebiker

So I work 10 hours a day for 4 days, but my employer now saves 20% on his accommodation costs because he only needs office space for 80% of his total workforce by carefully scheduling. Studies have shown that employees are more productive too. Furthermore, you arrived less-stressed at work because there’s 20% less traffic on the road. But then that’s using facts and reasoning…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Oh, it exists and is in the manifesto, which wasn’t published when the FT did their ‘analysis’.
    The lie was and is that they were going to steal shares from your pension fund. That was never true yet you were terrified of it happening you claim to have moved your funds.
    So can you show where it says they are going to steal shares in private ownership, or is that a lie? Since you moved your funds, you either didn’t know it was a lie, or you went to great lengths to propogate the lie.

If you take 10pc of something away, as opposed to buying it, the existing owners lose 10pc of it. HTH.

BruceWee

Unions are good for business. Just ask BP.

Had the workforce on Deepwater Horizon been unionised do you think they would have carried on working in a way that ultimately led to their deaths?

How much money did BP lose on Macondo?

I’ve worked offshore in the non-unionised UK sector and the heavily unionised Norwegian sector. I’ve been involved in operations in the UK sector where the operators were acting dangerously and I didn’t say anything because I didn’t fancy ending my career. I’m not proud of it.

I’ve never even been asked to work in unsafe ways in the Norwegian sector. If I was I would have no problem saying, ‘Nope, put me on the next chopper. I’m off to call my union rep and tell him you want to drill into the reservoir section with an ROV umbilical tangled in the BOP pod lines.’

outofbreath
    Free Member

Probably not achievable for many NHS staff, or certainly not a 32hr week.

I have to wonder what sort of contract length Labour think is acceptable. Banning zero hour contracts and full time contracts, I wonder how wide the permissable slot will be?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you take 10pc of something away, as opposed to buying it, the existing owners lose 10pc of it. HTH.

No, it doesn’t ‘H’ because we’ve done this to death – no-one’s said they are ‘taking it away’ without paying for it. And yet, you keep on about it this thing that isn’t happening like you are a Tory propagandist or something.

v8ninety

Banning zero hour contracts and full time contracts, I wonder how wide the permissable slot will be?

OOB, you’re being deliberately obtuse. You know that the objection to ‘zero hour’ contracts is not the actual hours worked, but rather the ability the exploit those workers and prevent them from working hours elsewhere, as well as the misrepresentation of these workers as ‘employed’ in statistics. Similarly, the four day week idea is actually just a policy of governance supporting an improvement in work life balance for the majority of people, paid for by an increase in automation etc, rather than the fruits of automation going straight into shareholders pockets.

bazzer
    Free Member

No, it doesn’t ‘H’ because we’ve done this to death – no-one’s said they are ‘taking it away’ without paying for it. And yet, you keep on about it this thing that isn’t happening like you are a Tory propagandist or something.

How is it going to work then @molgrips ?

outofbreath
    Free Member

No, it doesn’t ‘H’ because we’ve done this to death – no-one’s said they are ‘taking it away’ without paying for it.

They are not paying for the shares.

Here’s the policy:
    https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-2019.pdf

It’s p60. Or search for “Inclusive Ownership Fund”.

(I fear I’m being trolled so I won’t be replying to any posts on Inclusive Ownership Fund unless the post quotes the text that says the shares will be paid for in which case I will acknowledge that I failed to spot it and apologise.)

boomerlives
    Free Member

They are going to buy 10% using taxpayers money, and give it back to the taxpayers

Obviously

It’s the circular economy

outofbreath
    Free Member

You know that the objection to ‘zero hour’ contracts is not the actual hours worked,

That may be the objection, but the *policy* is to ban zero hours contracts. I’ve quoted the text before but the links above.

Similarly, the four day week idea is actually just a policy of governance supporting an improvement in work life balance for the majority of people, paid for by an increase in automation etc, rather than the fruits of automation going straight into shareholders pockets.

Quote it then so we can decide for ourselves.

slowoldman

When Microsoft introduced a four-day week, productivity increased by 40 per cent.

A friend of mine worked a 9 day fortnight with an engineering consultancy back in the seventies, so these ideas are not new. Not forgetting that back in the old days we used to “go to work down t’ mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out”. Things have moved on.

binners

Great quote on Radio 4 from Steve Coogan

Yes, Partridge would have voted leave because Alan is like one of those people who is very confident.

There are lots of people in government actually who are very like Alan Partridge in that they are super confident and not that well informed.

Alan Partridge, his points of view and attitude is influenced by the likes of Boris Johnson.

As Max Hastings said, Boris Johnson thinks he is Winston Churchill but he is more like Alan Partridge.

null

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Did I miss the bit where Labour have said they will just steal that 10% and not pay for it?

jam-bo

Did I miss the bit where Labour have said they will just steal that 10% and not pay for it?

i’ve got a friend who is a nursing sister at Leeds Hospital who says they will….

v8ninety

Quote it then so we can decide for ourselves.

https://www.ippr.org/research/publications/women-automation-and-equality

Is an article cited by;

McDonnell commits Labour to shorter working week and expanded free public services as part of Labour’s vision for a new society

Which is the press release from McDonnell announcing the policy that we are discussing.

kimbers

Why are people still arguing about labour policy ?

At best they’ll be in a minority government & will struggle to get much through beyond a 2nd ref and a loosening of budgets

The lib Dems were burnt badly by Tories last time & SNP have their own agends

Of far more concern is Johnson’s likely majority, a decade of divisive brexit talks, more grinding austerity & more lies than ever

outofbreath
    Free Member

The cost of buying the shares is not in the costing document (Grey book) so they will not be paying for the shares.

(Yes, I shouldn’t have replied, my bad.)

outofbreath
    Free Member

At best they’ll be in a minority government & will struggle to get much through beyond a 2nd ref and a loosening of budgets

…and an Indyref within the first year.

I don’t accept the logic that they can’t get a majority. To know that you’d need detailed knowledge of the seats, which doesn’t exist.

chewkw
    Free Member

Woohoo GE tomorrow 😀

Ready for late night watching election result.

llama

Of far more concern is Johnson’s likely majority, a decade of divisive brexit talks, more grinding austerity & more lies than ever

this

See there are tories, then there are bad tories, but this lot? A bunch of cynical lying evil compasionless manipulative toss buckets. They will do nothing for you.

VOTE TACTICALLY

binners

I don’t accept the logic that they can’t get a majority.

26/1 with the bookies at the moment. Stick a couple of quid on it

I stuck a tenner on a hung parliament last time out at 5/1. I’ve stuck a tenner on the same this time around but with labour getting more seats than the Tories but no majority. Same odds – 5/1

Admittedly I put that on a few weeks ago before Grandad phoned in his election campaign, but you never know….

binners

Right… on to the actual election night practicalities…

Who’s taken Friday off so that they can stay up and watch the results come in? Fess up… who’s as sad and tragic as me? 😀

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I might buy a pie and chips and watch The Strictly Come Voting Results Show.

Doubt I’ll stay up all night though.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Me! To be fair I was made redundant a week ago so I can spare the time. Now’s a good time to do it.Probably last until 3am though. Should have a fair idea by then. We need to find out when raab has his portillo moment? I’ll deffo stay up for that ( and probably Johnson and mogg too)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Binners you lightweight

Stay up with the boys and go in with the men.

binners

Looks like there are some good options, telly-wise.

Russell Howard is doing his show on Sky from ten onwards, and channel 4’s results show is being done by Rylan which would suggest they’re not planning on being too reverential

chewkw
    Free Member

Who’s taken Friday off so that they can stay up and watch the results come in? Fess up… who’s as sad and tragic as me? 😀

No off for me on Friday so no joy.

llama

Mrs is counting so might stay up until their results

Or might fall asleep on the sofa

one of those 2 is more likely

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll probably go to sleep as normal cos it takes too long for the results to come in, then in an agitated state wake up at about 2.30 and go downstairs to watch it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ll watch it on Catch up over the christmas holidays. I’ll try to avoid spoilers till then.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Is this the point where we need a post about just how tiring the late night will be for magic grandad? he’s getting on a bit, you know.

kerley
    Free Member

I will be off on Friday because I already work a 4 day week, some of us are open minded to new ideas while others are left behind voting tory.

(I don’t actually but I did take every Friday off for 20 weeks over the summer autumn and guess what, I got exactly the same amount of stuff done)

rone

binners

As a self-employed person I fundamentally objet to the principle of a 4 day week.

Why the hell should I be forced to increase the hours I work?! Bloody communists!! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 5,081 through 5,120 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.