• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What a way to win too! So calm and clinical in injury time. Great try too!

wrecker
    Free Member

Holy crap, the scots should be absolutely petrified!!!!!

gordimhor

Very well played Japan, looks tougher still for Scotland

anagallis_arvensis

This is getting stupid now!

Caher

Fantastic.

Earl
    Free Member

Even if they didn’t win – they will be know for not taking the penalty option.

But they did win! KFC Bargain Buckets all round!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

wrecker – Member – Block User – Quote
    Samoa for me. Keen on the canadians too.

Poor Canucks – had a bit of lesson today. 🙁

dantsw13

I expect Scotland to comfortably beat Japan. A 4 day turnaround, plus there is NO chance Scotland will now be as complacent as the boks.

Chances are SA will still top the group if they beat Scotland, which is certainly now in the balance. This game today as made this WC already for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Nobby

Very good CFH. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Super Gavin Henson ?@UnrealGavHenson
    Amazing stuff! Not seen the Japanese cause such a big upset since Big Gav ate that gone-off sushi! #RWC2015

davosaurusrex

On my way back from the match now. That was unbelievable! Turned up expecting a drubbing, witnessed sporting history. The atmosphere was electric, Springbok fans were really sporting in defeat too, great event!

jambalaya
    Free Member

South African friend posting this on Facebook, I replied at half time with “Her majesty has called the Japanese to say she is not amused”, in my wildest dreams I didn’t think they’d close it out.

Unfortunately did not see the game but will find a re-run. What an outstanding result.

@dave, yes indeed Rugby history made in Brighton of all,places !!

I too think Scotlamd will be too fresh and wise to allow another Japanese win, sadly. Would love to see a Japan / England QF, even if we where tuned over I’d be pleased for Japan.

wrecker
    Free Member

Poor Canucks – had a bit of lesson today.

as expected.

I expect Scotland to comfortably beat Japan.

hmm. there was a lot more quality in that SA side than the scots can muster. I expect it’ll be anything but comfortable.

tinybits
    Free Member

As often happens, I expect this to be Japan’s ‘final’ and there’s no way they are going to match that again.

Shame really, but even that result is going to be such a massive boost to rugby in Japan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, we had a grand day at Kingsholm yesterday – really enjoyed watching the Georgians and Tongans go at one another. Some of those Georgians are big lads! 😯

We were stood just outside the Shed – couldn’t quite believe we were bathed in sunshine for the whole game. 🙂 Saw that nicely worked Tongan try in our corner that Nige disallowed which was rough on the Tongans we thought.

Down to the Fanzone for the first half of Canada – Ireland and then to the pub for a bite and a few pints for the second half. The atmosphere round the ground, Fanzone and pubs was grand – helped by the autumn sunshine no doubt.

A throughly enjoyable day out. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

dantsw13

Wrecker, there is a lot of quality, but the boks have been in turmoil for a few months, and badly out of form. Eddy Jones also knows their setup intimately and devised a game plan to counter their lumbering giants.

There’s not a lot between all of the other teams in group B, so it will be really interesting as a neutral, but I still expect Scotland to qualify, and probably SA too.

anagallis_arvensis

Just back from anagallis juniors first rugby training session!

anagallis_arvensis

Can anyone explain what the point of that Orangutan is? I hate itv this world cup for me proves the worth of the license fee.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker, there is a lot of quality, but the boks have been in turmoil for a few months, and badly out of form.

Absolutely, but they are still ranked 3rd in the world.
    I agree that group B has suddenly become one of the most interesting. Any two of four in that group could go through. Samoa have a very good team this year and are more than capable of beating the scots, Sa and japan on their day.

Kryton57

Can anyone explain what the point of that Orangutan is? I hate itv this world cup for me proves the worth of the license fee.

Indeed – ads in between the anthems and kickoff FFS! No idea about the monkey,

I hope Junior AA enjoy it – we’ve just started KJ01’s second season last week, and they’ve start pad work (mauls) and now all passes must be backward, whereas last year was throwing and catching, running then mini games of tag. Its starting to looking a bit more real!

vondally
    Free Member

Why is there no plate competition for the teamsvwho do not make it through….. I would have thought it would develop the skills of the countries and throw up some interesing games?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Apparently it’s so that my boys can try to be the first to shout ‘Sam/Joe get off the pitch’ at each other every time it appears.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Erm.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good to see the proper Haka back.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

McCaw binned, first time I have ever liked a Wayne Barnes decision

DanW
    Free Member

Glad we seem to have skimmed over the Wales game as it wasn’t great 😳 Pretty much as expected from a makeshift team (Wales not Uruguay!). Of the players on for any decent length of time, only Davies looked sharp. The team selection seemed to be about avoiding injury to the key players and they still seemed to pick them up! It can’t be long before Hook, Phillips and Jones re-unite 😆

It looks like Cory Allen has done a significant hamstring injury. He is going to be scanned tomorrow (Monday) and Liam Williams got a knock on the thigh. Samson Lee and Paul James have got tight calves and Dan Lydiate had a head assessment, but he has passed that, which is good, as he’s now able to take a full part in training next week. Aaron Jarvis popped a rib cartilage as well. I don’t think it’s too serious, but he was in quite significant pain. He really dug in deep for the last 20 minutes or else we would have had to go down to 14 men. He really put his body on the line which was impressive from him. Sam Warburton had a bit of a tight groin, but he’s ok. I’m all right!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Given the way this tournament is being reff-ed so far and the use of TMO McCaw is going to have to change the way he plays or he’s going to be off the field every match. NZ looked pretty rusty and butchered plenty of chances, they’ll get better but didn’t look close to RWC winners today

anagallis_arvensis

Havent watched the Wales game. Bit worried about Williams and Samson. Can we risk starting with Samson or having him on the bench? If Liam plays Amos can play wing and butter fingers Calamity Cuthbert can be dropped. No idea who would cover back 3 from the bench though. Please no one say Morgan or you will make me cry!!

HughStew

I’m not much of rugby follower but I’m enjoying watching some matches on TV so far, except for that caterwauling horror Paloma Faith. What were they thinking!

wrecker
    Free Member

from how cuthbert played today, morgan is the least of the problems!
    That Uruguayan open side looked like a 45 year old prop! Turns out he’s an IT consultant……….I’d better watch what I say, he might be a STW member!

DanW
    Free Member

Cuthburt and Amos were both pretty awful. Cuthburt didn’t catch anything all game and Amos was constantly offloading to the opposition. Morgan even cleaned out a ruck!

No idea who would cover back 3 from the bench though.

When asked in the studio the unanimous answer was “Hook…. or er… well Hook… but here’s some others Gatland will actually bring in instead”

Given the way this tournament is being reff-ed so far and the use of TMO McCaw is going to have to change the way he plays or he’s going to be off the field every match.

There was a noticeable difference between watching NZ around the breakdown and everyone else so far- they really did stick out for pushing the limits (and breaking them). That said, the way the breakdown seems to be refereed is anything goes for the attacking team and only slightly stricter for the defending team. It does make for more flowing rugby but the pedants must find it hard to watch 😀 You still won’t get away with tripping someone though by the looks of it- naughty boy!

mefty
    Free Member

Well that was a pretty fantastic first weekend of the world cup, good opening ceremony with a nod to the history albeit inaccurate, lots of good games, brilliant crowds (both size and atmosphere) and a big upset – roll on next week.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep, absolutely loved the first weekend!! Some great games! SA v Japan, NZ v Argentina and Tonga v Georgia we all fantastic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would appreciate a proper STWRefOpinion but isn’t a deliberate trip a straight red?

IdleJon

I thought that as well, CFH.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It would appear not!

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?highlight=Trip&law=10.4

Seems a yellow was above the norm. Bravo, Barnes!

toemul
    Free Member

Thought carter trying to dislodge the ball with his foot needs looking at, reckless and caused injury.

Kryton57

A lot of cynical play from the all blacks, they do t like it when it doesn’t go there way. McCaw sent for ‘ I can barely believe it.

Massive respect for Barnes, great referring today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.