• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • mefty
    Free Member

Massive respect for Barnes, great referring today.

Was his consulting the TMO on the fly a new innovation? When can they consult TMOs now?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A lot of cynical play from the all blacks, New Zealand

Plus ca change….

Was his consulting the TMO on the fly a new innovation?

Nope. Y Nige has been doing it for a while now. Including, during the Georgia/Tonga game saying to the TMO (And I paraphrase)., “Yes, yes, I saw it. Nothing in it, we’ll play on. Thanks….” in a slightly annoyed tone. 🙂

Kryton57

Eh?

IdleJon

No, I don’t agree about Barnes. He penalized Argentina several times for breakdown offences but allowed NZ to get away with exactly the same ones. Not consistent.

I looked at those laws as well, CFH. Terribly written, terribly unclear. It defines what the cards are but then doesn’t expalin when to apply them. On page 6 it says that a red card is used for contravention of Law 10, Foul Play. But under Law 10 every single offence is listed as a penalty. If you use the laws as written nobody ever gets sent off.

anagallis_arvensis

Only one answer to all these injuries

wrecker
    Free Member

I think he should just be a good boy and stay nice and safe in Brizzle. Rugby world cup? Pah. We’ve got Jersey away next week. 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve had two tries called back now just prior to the conversion after the ref has seen the big screen. I sincerely hope the video guy at Twickenham does not show any replays of England tries 🙂

Also I propose the producers keep a camera on McCaw and show a replay on the big screen every time he’s on the opposite side of the breakdown to the ref 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Thought carter trying to dislodge the ball with his foot needs looking at, reckless and caused injury.

No different to one of North’s concussions really

duckman

Nope. Y Nige has been doing it for a while now. Including, during the Georgia/Tonga game saying to the TMO (And I paraphrase)., “Yes, yes, I saw it. Nothing in it, we’ll play on. Thanks….” in a slightly annoyed tone.

That will be his touch judges,not the TMO.
    According to this page, Wayne Barnes is either a good ref or one who just misses NZ infringements.The usual suspects are again pedalling their “They only win because they cheat.”rhetoric. Oh,or target Courtney Lawes…A visit from Zokes and we can call house. Ali Williams is tying evidence labels to some of you as I type.
    The uncomfy fact for all the Engerland fans is the NZ put in exactly the type of performance that you lot did in 03. They imposed their game plan on one of the best sides in the world and didn’t fold even when down to 13 men…And you lot didn’t on Friday. Not seen AUS yet,but based on that weekend, still NZ by a mile.

Kryton57

Lol!

England’s defence will stop that AB March up the field much harder and quicker than Argentina did. If McCaw is neutralised by the ref we stand a much better chance. Sonny Bill looked impressive though – ultra world class.

Walls should b worried – if Englamd don’t put them to the sword it’s a massive fail on our part, we should, edge them all over the park, and a little intensity into the mix should see the, crumble, as long as we hold onto the ball and take it up,the middle.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

We’ve had two tries called back now just prior to the conversion after the ref has seen the big screen.

Indeed, but there was a difference between them too.

In the Eng/Fiji game the ref awarded the try and then saw it on the big screen and went to the TMO to reverse it.

Whereas in the Fra/It game the ref actually went to the TMO to make sure the ball had got to the try-scorer legally and then gave the try and THEN noticed him dropping the ball on the big screen and called it back. Why couldn’t the TMO have just spotted it in the first place?

duckman

England’s defence will stop that AB March up the field much harder and quicker than Argentina did

That is the only way to beat them,but I can’t see it,esp as you are playing without a 7 or a quick 8. I can’t see how anybody is going to deal with the sheer number of threats the AB’s have in every sodding position. However if I never have to see Woodcocks ears again that would be fine by me.
    The TMO isn’t supposed to speak until spoken too! I don’t think they are either,Ben Kay highlighted Barnes talking to his TMO today as good,but it was the touch judge the ref was talking to.

IdleJon

edge them all over the park, and a little intensity into the mix should see the, crumble, as long as we hold onto the ball and take it up,the middle.

I’m confused. Are you going all over the park or going up the middle? Have you been watching Lancaster Lecture 001.3, England Tactics 2015? The one they applied to the Fiji game. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The usual suspects are again pedalling their “They only win because they cheat.”rhetoric.

+1

It gets a bit boring. They win most games because they’re awesome at rugby and as duckie says, every player poses a threat with his mobility.

I will concede that the green machine only win when they cheat. 😀 (A level 11b referee told me.)

Kryton57

I’m confused. Are you going all over the park or going up the middle? Have you been watching Lancaster Lecture 001.3, England Tactics 2015? The one they applied

My point is, that they play England 101. If the forwards take it up e park and we play the mauls, we’ll suffocate the Welsh. Should it go outside, or priest land kicks like that again we finally have a threat on the backs to score that way.

Re NZ – yes our defence is more robust and we’ve send that possession is 9/10ths of the game Arg did that right. I also agree that NZ have a lot of threats, but it’s Smith/sonny Bill / savea that will undo us IMO.

IdleJon

priest land kicks like that again we finally have a threat on the backs to score that way.

He won’t be playing. (Please to all the gods and little demons, don’t let Priestland play..)

duckman

Changed the rules to stop you cheating DD… 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wales scrummaging options not looking too clever, perhaps uncontested scrums are part of the Gatland master plan ?

anagallis_arvensis

My point is, that they play England 101. If the forwards take it up e park and we play the mauls, we’ll suffocate the Welsh. Should it go outside, or priest land kicks like that again we finally have a threat on the backs to score that way.

You are really just making yourself look silly.

Kryton57

we’ll see next weekend wont we.

dantsw13

For as long as I can remember, the England game has been based on forward strength, 70% possession and squeezing penalties.

At the moment, we are struggling in the scrum/breakdown and having less than 50% possession, but still winning games – that has to be a good sign. We still have a great pack, and “if” they get themselves sorted, we could seriously click.

mrhoppy

I’d not be reading too much into the Wales performance yesterday, it was the u15 girls squad playing and you could see they were playing to score tries at the expense of playing ‘properly’. This may be over optimistic hopefulness more than belief. The winner from that group is the Aussies, none of the other teams looked convincing and they will take some reassurance from that.

After that performance I sincerely hope Priestland doesn’t get on the pitch again. I’m fairly sure I could hear his mum calling for him to be taken off when he missed touch the 2nd time and she was sat on the opposite side of the pitch to me.

anagallis_arvensis

we’ll see next weekend wont we.

No we wont thats the point. Priestland wont be at 10 Biggar will. Wales will most likely lose but your analysis is that of a parody rugby fan again.

anagallis_arvensis

u could see they were playing to score tries at the expense of playing ‘properly’

Priestland looked under orders to gamble to get pens right in the corner and not worry about missing. The rest of Wales missed touches were based on them not actually kicking for touch as its been a Gatwards tic tac for years.

DanW
    Free Member

Priestland looked under orders to gamble to get pens right in the corner and not worry about missing. The rest of Wales missed touches were based on them not actually kicking for touch as its been a Gatwards tic tac for years.

It was a definite tactic to get as many mauls in as close to the line as possible as it seems to be the one big area of success for almost all teams but not one Wales really count as a strength. I’m not sure I agree there wasn’t any pressure on the kicks to touch as Priestland looked really down in the dumps. The tic tac is normal… but we don’t have any kicking wings and could probably do with Hooks huge range if Williams is struggling

loum
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Lol!

England’s defence will stop that AB March up the field much harder and quicker than Argentina did. If McCaw is neutralised by the ref we stand a much better chance. Sonny Bill looked impressive though – ultra world class.

Will they really?

They’re not in England’s pool .
    They’re not in England’s side of the knockout draw.
    There’s a lot of rugby to be played,
    or do England just have a basket full of chickens and no eggs?

At this stage, it might be more relevant for the enthusiastic England fan to be talking about how they’ll cope with Wales, OZ , or just about anyone else, tbh.

What was Ali Williams saying about arrogance?

Kryton57

your analysis is that of a parody rugby fan again.

No it isn’t, its fact – see dantsw13 post under mine I’m not the only one that thinks so. As I said, IMO the best way for England to play is to their strengths, up through the forwards, threatening with the backs on the return phases, and the rush defence.

Forget the fancy pants tactics we employed against Fiji, the team didn’t adapt / isn’t practised enough to make it work, and better teams will rip them a new one.

wrecker
    Free Member

I agree with mrhoppy, you shouldn’t look too deeply at that game. A second string Wales side who looked pretty disinterested vs a team who could conceivably be considered the worst in the tournament. Saturday will be a seriously tough game.

On another note, I’m not normally one to express pleasure at an injury but huget is a total **** of the highest order and whilst he’s a fantastic player, I’m not upset that his RWC is over. If ever there was evidence of the existence of karma – this is it.

DanW
    Free Member

Walls should b worried – if Englamd don’t put them to the sword it’s a massive fail on our part, we should, edge them all over the park, and a little intensity into the mix should see the, crumble, as long as we hold onto the ball and take it up,the middle.

This would work for the historic England teams but the one weakness of the current squad is…. the pack! The forwards will need to have a hugley different game compared to the one against Fiji to do well in the tournament.

It should be seen as a failure if England don’t beat a depleted Welsh side at home. The casual fan probably didn’t even recognize half the Welsh team yesterday it was that much of an improvised, C or D team so you can’t read anything in to that… but it will be the backs not the forwards who’ll clinch it for England

No it isn’t, its fact – see dantsw13 post under mine I’m not the only one that thinks so.

I read that as “we are traditionally strong in the forwards, have the players… but need sort ourselves out for it to actually happen like that”

Kryton57

but it will be the backs not the forwards who’ll clinch it for England

Sure, they’ll score. I just think England play better and look more powerful when the forwards are carry it up, rather than their absence based strategic against Fiji where we looked frail.

The forwards will need to have a hugley different game compared to the one against Fiji to do well in the tournament.

…is my point, back to what they know, and do week in week out. The fact we don’t have a genuine seven means they need to stay on their feet longer and are threatened there by Wales and Aus, but thats what we have, so we have to live with it.

dantsw13

I don’t think England’s pack is a weakness, they just haven’t played well for a few games. On paper, they are still a very strong pack.

duckman

Kryton57 – Member

As I said, IMO the best way for England to play is to their strengths, up through the forwards, threatening with the backs on the return phases, and the rush defence.

None of those are strengths in the current England team.You will beat what’s left of Wales,I have little doubt of that,but trying to make out that England has the attributes you mention above is evidence of a Meth habit. You do also realise that those “fancy tactics” are the result of the entire training camp,and thats how you are going to play,don’t you? Lancaster has schooled the plan B out of that side.

Kryton57

None of those are strengths in the current England team.

One of us is watching with some kinted of tinted glasses. I never said they were the best at it though, thats just how they play traditional vis a vis natural strengths.

You do also realise that those “fancy tactics” are the result of the entire training camp,and thats how you are going to play,don’t you? Lancaster has schooled the plan B out of that side.

IMO if we play like that for the rest of the tournament we are screwed.

loum
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

On that, why isn’t Cave in the ireland squad for the game? He looked excellent last I saw of him.

Going back a bit, but I’m really happy Joe gave Fitz a run out of position at 12.
    IMO, it wasn’t about fielding the best no 12 for the job against Canada but a little bit more experimentation on what players can cover as bench options.
    No doubt that if it’s a critical match and Henshaw’s out then Cave is next best starter centre. But neither are really “big game” first choice, and now Joe can have a bit of confidence that if he put’s Fitz on the bench he can cover 11-15 if needed.
    It’s been an ongoing experiment for the last two years with nearly every game including at least one player slightly out of position testing what they can offer as cover in case of injury. Mostly players who might be considered as 16-23 for the “big” games. Joe’s a “bench for cover first and foremost” rather than “bench for impact” selector.

On a similar note, England’s bench seems a little strange on the “cover front” to me.
    OFarrell is 10 or 12, SBurgess is 12too.
    From a “joe” perspective, that wouldn’t happen.
    Nowell would cover 11, 13, 14, 15 if OF covered 10,12.
    Or if Burgess is going to be there as 12 cover, someone like Slade would be a better compliment as he’d cover 10, 13, 15.
    And Watson would have had at least a match as an international 15 by now to give him confidence for covering Brown’s next knock

Likewise in the Forwards a bit. Selecting two out-and-out 8s in the 23 would require a bit more evidence that 6 and 7 are covered by someone in the 23.
    For me, it’s interesting how differnt coaches have different outlooks on making up a matchday 23.

duckman

IMO if we play like that for the rest of the tournament we are screwed.

You do realise Eddie Jones was free about the same time as you appointed a moral guardian coach….(Says the man from the country still paying Scott Johnston)

wrecker
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart said » Just spotted the cup and 2003 logo on the England shirt. Tacky

Sorry flash, had to come back to this. Did you see the AB and SA jerseys? 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

Or indeed the jerseys of all previous winners in the 2007 and 2011 competitions.

loum
    Free Member

Australia

15. Israel Folau
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
    13. Tevita Kuridrani
    12. Matt Giteau
    11. Rob Horne
    10. Bernard Foley
    9. Will Genia
    1. Scott Sio
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Kane Douglas
    5. Rob Simmons
    6. Scott Fardy
    7. Michael Hooper
    8. David Pocock
    Replacements:
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. James Slipper
    18. Greg Holmes
    19. Will Skelton
    20. Dean Mumm
    21. Nick Phipps
    22. Matt Toomua
    23. Kurtley Beale

namastebuzz
    Free Member

You do realise Eddie Jones was free about the same time as you appointed a moral guardian coach.

Yes but we don’t need reminding of that thanks. 😈

Nick Mallet was also available and he’d convinced Wayne Smith to come aboard as attack coach too – but we don’t need reminding of that either…….

duckman

…Pats NMBuzz on the back in a sympathetic way…

Seriously though,Mallet and Smith?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.