Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 402 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas
  • alwillis

I tend to search YouTube for “yoga for cyclists” or “yoga for runners” or “yoga for lower back” (my biggest weakness) and pick a video over 30 minutes. I’ve got a few go to ones now that I know are good, some are hard, some quite relaxing but it all counts!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yeh,I should go for one of them lower back videos.

jimmy

For yoga I’ve always used Abi Carver on YouTube but they’re mostly 15mins. Used NTC last night which has 30+ min sessions.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

This constantly dark wet gloomy weather isn’t making the challenge any easier. Still,weight training yesterday and probably yoga today.Really must start swimming again.

sandboy

When i saw this challenge, the first thing I considered was how difficult it will be to go out on the bike on a cold wet and windy night in November but then thought that’s what this challenge is all about. The old saying “no pain, no gain” is spot on. This morning at the amazement of our family over for the weekend I dug out the gortex boots and jacket and went out for 2 hours in the pouring rain. It was great, and was reassured to see some other cyclists and a few dog walkers enjoying the weather. Now home, eaten last nights leftover curry, beer in hand looking forward to an afternoon of footy. Happy days!

munrobiker
    Free Member

The challenge is definitely about getting you out when normally you wouldn’t – and you’ll find it’s never as bad as you think.

How was everyone’s weekend at it? On Saturday I had a really nice spin around Glentress with some friends for a birthday, but despite taking it easy was still pretty tired. Then on Sunday I spent the whole afternoon sanding the woodwork in our spare bedroom and was so exhausted I was tempted to count that, but my wife persuaded me to go out for a walk with her and I felt better for it.

Here’s my mate Rosie showing that exercise can definitely be fun!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hrqwi6]LRM_EXPORT_1651333736376_20191005_181555879[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

momo

Well I failed at the challenge, the first 10 days were fine, but the Thursday of week 2 I was wrecked, not from this just stressed from work/kids/life and couldn’t get myself into exercise at all. Got back on it on the Sunday though with a bodyweight session. On holiday last week and spent lots of time every day walking and playing with the kids – also did body weight exercise sessions and yoga on a couple of mornings, recovery was much easier with a hot tub to soak in!

Back home Friday to a disaster though, nothing done over the weekend, proper winter training starts tomorrow though with a FTP test, I accept that the challenge has gone, but I’m going to do my best to keep it going until Christmas now. The rewarding feeling of having done something active in the day definitely helps boost my mood before bed.

naffa
    Free Member

It was going so well. In my last update on Friday i commented on feeling under the weather, little did i know what was to follow. Without being too graphic ive become rather well acquainted with the upstairs and downstairs toilets since Friday night until today. 5lbs lighter and feeling a good bit better i might get out on the onza for a quick ride tonight. Hopefully ill be able to get back into the challenge without interruption this time.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

momo,why dont you extend the challenge to the new year.A number of late starters are doing that.Perhaps naffa you could do the same.I think we all need to remember this is a marathon not a sprint.I,ve started slowly and intend to get slower.A couple of my days have consisted of brisk walks and dancing!AND I,M STILL TIRED.In my case,however,its more down to poor sleep patterns,diet,lack of initial fitness and mood disorder.I will battle on.

onehundredthidiot

Today was the toughest. Managed the 30minutes on rollers. Shit night’s sleep, rubbish day at work and then a meeting. Felt heavy but better for doing it.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

^ perhaps a days stretching and rollering would help and give you a rest.

onehundredthidiot

Yeah I have much easier days. But I was just fatigued today. 7km run tomorrow followed by a frickin’ cold shower (still no hot water in the male changing room). That’ll wake me right up.

cookeaa

I’ve been keeping up with it more or less.

The garage gym has been getting increasing use as the weather gets wetter. I can work up a ridiculous sweat in half an hour on the running machine and ‘er indoors is getting into the whole idea.

She had a eureka moment the other night when she suddenly went “hang on, I spent 250 quid for a year’s gym membership last year, and all the kit in the garage has cost less than half that! And I don’t have to drive anywhere!”

So I quietly suggested that a (used) rowing machine and maybe a smart turbo could also be worthwhile investments. The ideas were not shot down.

We do need to find some rubber flooring, I have a square bit under the punchbag but the noise from the running machine definitely carries through into the house making it less viable for use later at night…

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yeh,need to consider noise and neighbours myself.The Joy’s of living in a newish build.Anyway,yesterday was cycling along the river tees,today perhaps some weight training and stretching.I have been wishing we started this challenge in June.Autumn has not been pleasant so far round here.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Monkeycmonkeydo- I think that is why Chris started doing it now, to keep the work on whilst getting through the time of year when you want to start hibernating.

I had to get up at 5.45 yesterday to fit in my half hour before catching the train to a meeting in England. Then I was overnight down here at my parent’s so I was struggling for ideas of what to do today.

I ended up going for a walk with my dad, who has turned out to be a reasonable inspiration for the challenge. He had a triple heart bypass in mid September and has been told to walk on the level every day to get his fitness going. He’s walked every day for 3 miles and the improvement has been massive. He’s pretty slow up his hill but he has had his sternum broken and a new blood pipe put in his heart from his leg!

danimalz

My input, 3.5 weeks in. Thought I’d join in, and the motivation of this challenge has really helped me – I feel driven and productive, and am fitting in more than I thought I could. I have missed one day due to lack of time but have managed to fit something in every day apart from that one. Busy schedule makes it difficult and I’m often quite tired but feeling strong and seeing the benefits already!
    “Tapering” today/tomorrow with some indoor stretching and bodyweight work before 2 days of rainy DH action at BPW this weekend…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Also failing here 😔 boady is feeling the strain, all sorts of aches and pains. Going to try to keep active though even if it is just a walk.

jimmy

I missed a day, Tuesday, was just too tired and the day squeezed that it was nearly 10pm before I could do anything. By which point I fell into bed.

Played football last night for the first time in maybe 2 years, though. Oof!

DrP

Struggled yesterday… 😕
    Having diarrhoea for 11 days straight now has really drained me…
    Got a race this weekend, and wanted to reserve what energy I had for that…
    Commuted about 20 miles today.. But took it easy…

Meh…

DrP

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

If I tried football Jimmy my challenge would be over!Dr P would also have a new patient.Why dont you all try my idea of starting slow and getting slower.Works for me.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I’ve been feeling good this week, I know there will still be bad patches, but I think I’m beginning to see the fitness benefits. Managed my first good, proper, long run which I actually did for enjoyment rather than the 30 minute minimum I have been doing.

I’ve also been travelling for work, so had to resort to my fall back pilates DVD one evening, up for an early morning swim today. Next week might be a bit of a challenge as I have 3 days away with a supplier. Usually long days with lots of hospitality… but I’m actually looking forward to having to make a bit of time for a run in the evening. 😀

1/4 of the way there 👍

onehundredthidiot

Still on track. Wednesday was a very gentle hour as I set up the smart turbo, (anyone wanna buy some rollers?).
    Tomorrow and Sunday are the challenge. At a mates wedding. Sunday especially as I need to leave early to get to Edinburgh to watch the rugby. Peebles might witness the world’s slowest 30 slog (slow jog).

onehundredthidiot

Tough today 11.5km Peebles to inners. Should have had breakfast but last night’s curry powered most of the run.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Well done,sounds exhausting to a non runner.For me,a hundred minutes cycling yesterday and weight training today.Managed 10.5 hours sleep last night which is unusual for me.I also seem to be stuffing my face constantly.Even my easy regime leaves me wondering if my body will make it to Christmas.Neil.

beaker

Well done to you all so far…. the weather has been awful recently down here in the south. YouTube search cyclist yoga, it has been great for when the weather isn’t great.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Do any of you find a couple of hours cycling in Autumn much more knackering than in summer?I seem to.Unless,of course,its just tiredness kicking in.Could be cycling into strong winds that doesn’t help.

sandboy

The wind has certainly made it hard work this week especially when out on the road bike. I’m starting to feel aching all of the time and I’m having to stretch and use the foam roller almost every day now to keep me going. The lad is still right on this, still bouncing and hooping but has spent this afternoon playing footie with his mates, as well as a couple of loops of the woods after school I’m really pleased he’s showing a commitment to this challenge, can’t feed him enough!! It’s good to read how everyone else is finding it and knowing others are finding it tough is reassuring as well as spurring me on. Keep going folks.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It is harder in winter. You burn more calories when it’s cold, trying to stay warm, there’s a head wind that’s stronger and often there’s wetness whipping heat from your body.

I had a weekend bike touring in the Cairngorms so am all caught up. I’m eating like a pig, it’s great.

onehundredthidiot

This morning’s post wedding run was slow and I think the Orcadian strip the willow has buckled my knee. It’s certainly a bit puffy. Easy turbo tomorrow.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d count a ceilidh as exercise to be honest. It’s certainly the sweatiest thing I do.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What is Orchadian strip the Willow?Is gardening now included in the challenge?

onehundredthidiot

It’s a no holds barred proper ceilidh dance. Bruising is considered a standard reaction.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stonking cold + weather means ive been nowhere near exercising every day, there was a week where I only commuted by bike once!

Not doing so badly now, last week was good but skipped Friday as I was in bed by 8! Saturday afternoon was spent doing gardening, dug out two big leylandaii stumps. Sunday morning clubrun followed by a third leylandaii stump has utterly done for my hamstrings and back muscles though! So will either get the rollers out for a spin or look up some of this yoga tonight.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Weight training yesterday,cycling today.I,ve been eating alot and sleeping better.A couple of dry windless weeks would be a pleasant change.My main challenge is psychological….motivation is a challenge for me.A month in I,m determined to finish and not feel like a failure.Easy day tomorrow after my flu jag.

jimmy

jimmy

Subscriber
    I missed a day, Tuesday, was just too tired and the day squeezed that it was nearly 10pm before I could do anything

Tuesday seems to be my grind to a halt day, same last night. Actually felt fluey and achey so rested. Rather that than break myself for the remainder. Weekend of cycling and beer coming up too.

jimmy

TINAS – was gardening on Saturday and my watch beeped at me loads for reaching my goal x1 X2 X3 so planned evening exercise got canned (beer canned)

sandwicheater

So far so good, doing it with my wife and she’s saved the day on more than one occasion (making me do a yoga session at 23:15 was ever so welcome).

Mixture of running, cycling, turbo, walks, yoga and circuit training.

I’ll check in next month.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Still haven’t had a day of bad enough weather for me to start learning yoga – it’ll happen at some point though.

I can’t blame people for having had the odd day off. I’m really impressed at everyone who’s kept it going though, well done!

onehundredthidiot

Still ticking them off old knee problem strapped so it’s been turbo all week. Hoping to get an outdoor ride tomorrow followed by at trip to thornielee Sunday. Saturday probably back on the turbo.
    Too stubborn to stop.

onehundredthidiot

Still going, it’s been a week of sufferfest. But I’m quite enjoying it. Tomorrow it’s thornielee for some steep fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 402 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.