Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 402 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I was on a self-imposed bike ban today so went for a stroll instead. 6 miles later I was ready for my tea. Back on the bike tomorrow.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Think you need to do more than just cycling and walking MrP.You might get a bit bored of the routine.Last two days I,ve managed weight training,dancing and some walking.I,ve noticed since starting this challenge I’m eating more and sleeping better.I was wondering whether hearing a bit more about the OP’s friends life, might help us with motivation.Just a thought.Anyway, we’ve all battled on through the awful weather,so I think a big well done to everyone on here.Neil.

jimmy

I kind of failed Friday. Was exhausted yesterday, haven’t been sleeping well recently and that was last night too. But I’ve been on my feet all day, swimming and walking with my daughter so I’m counting that activity. Plus I feel everything stretched from recent workouts so I’m doubly ok with an easy but active day.

Mmkay?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Half an hours yoga might be of some help Jimmy.Seemed to loosen me up and energise me!I really could do with finding a class somewhere.

DrP

It’s good to mix it up, and I find myself planning the week around what I can fit in…
    Fixie sprint yesterday… 8k run today.. Gym tomorrow.. Mtb tues amd wed.. Then gym Thurs..

Got the kids at the weekend, so might take them for a big or something!

DrP

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Mac?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Think you need to do more than just cycling and walking MrP

Don’t worry about me Monkey. Next week will be swimming, surfing and hopefully a bit of SUP if the hire place is still open on the beach in Portugal. Heck, if Friday night’s date goes well I might even get some sex!

onehundredthidiot

The Strava leaderboard seems to be on the Fritz.

Anyway still plugging away. Sunday’s ride was fun steep stuff 10.5km with 650m of climbing (and descent). Could have gone for a few more laps but mate was goosed.
    It’s showing in the scale 0.9kg gone last week.

sandboy

I’ve been suffering with a touch of man flu so have not been doing anything cardio but have spent the weekend helping a neighbor remove all of the pan-tiles from their roof. Woken upthis morning, feeling like I’ve gone 12 rounds!! Man flu not too bad so hopefully get a bike ride in later. The lad is still bouncing and hooping, says he has more energy, I’ve noticed him to have been much calmer and anything that gets him outside and away from a screen really is a positive.

DrP

All this talk of weight loss… I seem to be gaining weight 😀

But it kinda has been my goal to ‘beef up’ a bit over the past year…. All that gym work and ‘roids* etc I guess..

DrP

*hemorrhoids… That’s what it means, right….

nt80085

Went OTB on my Friday night MTB ride so had the weekend off as v sore, hope to get back on the bike today and make up the two days in due course. Shame was doing alright too with a ride/exercise everyday.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Last night’s exercise was grim – we’d come back from a weekend away, after a four and a half hour drive, arriving back at 8.30 and I was planning on having tea then going out while my wife had a shower. She decided she wanted to shower then have tea so I trudged off on the bike in the cold and the dark on a very empty stomach. And it was fine. Then today I’ve done 30 miles on the gravel bike to kick the week off and it was lovely and sunny and a little chilly and autumnal.

Monkeycmonkeydo – you time your request for more information about Chris well. The challenge got a bit more serious for me on Friday as we entered the Strathpuffer again, so this is now training. 24 hours round a wood in January north of Inverness. Previously when I’ve done this it’s been to raise money for Mountain Rescue. Over the years we’ve raised £30,000 for Glencoe Mountain Rescue team – they were the team that recovered Chris after the avalanche.

Chris and I went to uni together. In my first year he got me into racing short course events, then we entered what became the Puffer Lite as a pair on a bit of a whim. We won it and over the next three years we raced together and won medals at 10 Under the Ben, 10 At Kirroughtree, Relentless and we also won the first Hit the North.

Chris was very kind and welcoming, with a very deadpan sense of humour. He was the first of my friends I told about my wife and I getting engaged, and my wife has always said he should have been an usher or my best man at our wedding. He was exceptionally smart, going on from his MSc in maths to a PhD in ocean currents at the Scottish Association for Marine Science in Oban. As I got fat and slow after I graduated he got fitter and faster, competing in the Celtman triathlon (202k bike, 3.2k swim and 42k run over two munros) and getting a bit cheesed off with me when we finished 7th at 10 at Kirroughtree! Chris started this challenge and was so humble that I didn’t even hear about it until after his death. He devoted a lot of his life to training – I remember turbo training sessions in his uni bedroom with two people blasting away on a turbo each with another two club members yelling encouragement, timing and pointing desk fans at them. He threw just as much effort into partying and having a good time though – I remember destroying a set of speakers at one of his house parties, for which he has a special coloured lightbulb. He was also amazing at gnadgery switchbacks and one handed wheelies.

Chris, who was from Lancashire, loved being in the Highlands. He died one week before the 2013 Strathpuffer in an avalanche in Glencoe. He was showing around a group of four friends on a popular and well known route and they got unlucky. He was 24. It left our group of cycling friends devastated, although his funeral turned into a big fun party. Along with Chris, three of the party also died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21115428

The response from STW at the time was incredible.

Chris Bell Racing at Strathpuffer

Which brings me round to this year’s Puffer. I’ve done it three times in memory of Chris to raise money for Glencoe MRT but this year we’re raising money for a different cause. The wife of one my team mates died recently and he’s asked that we raise some money for St Michael’s Hospice who cared for her. If anyone has a few quid spare then please feel free to chuck something in the kitty.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/strathpufferforstmichaels?fbclid=IwAR136N8tcDQu1o_bvSJSJaBqcgkZbGY_1vbcXrhxkQChzRfM9gI5Kr61Fa4

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ho4zAu]622812_10100362921115340_2321260_o[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and he set up the excellent website https://scenicpees.com/, which I now run.

nt80085- missing days for injury or illness is a sensible thing to do. Hope you’re feeling better.

naffa
    Free Member

Sounds like Chris was a top bloke and the kind of mate we all like to have or, even better that we are or become.
    I’m so pleased that you posted about this 100 day challenge. I needed a reason to ride again. I rode 192 days consecutively last year and nearly killed myself in the process as I put in some pretty epic efforts. I lost 2.5 st and felt great, until I didnt. Then my riding fell off a cliff along with my fitness and I’ve put 3.5 st on.
    So we’re 2 weeks into this and I’m really enjoying it. Ive even bought an old turbo out of retirement and I’m doing my sessions on that when the weathers as dog as it is tonight. Whats more my mental health is improving too. I actually feel my mood lift as I’m riding. Physical health, mental health, its a win win for me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Excellent news naffa, glad you’re feeling better!

DrP

The lederhosen (it was meant to say leaderboard but that is such a good autocorrect I’m leaving it!) seems to be only showing cycling and running again 🤷‍♂️

Hey ho.. I guess I’ll keep my cardio and gym work to myself!

DrP

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve failed in the attempt. I’ve not done anything since last Thursday. My knee has been playing up and life got in the way over the weekend.

Although I won’t be chasing the 100 days I am planning time in to my week to get outside and do some exercise regardless of the weather.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Mister P – it’s showing a couple of workouts, hikes and rows by other people for me, I think people are just doing mostly riding and running!

flowerpower
    Free Member

Dr P – It shows workouts, hikes etc in the recent activity, but it doesn’t include that time on the leader board (just swim / bike / run).
    A good job really – because with 9 hours hiking alone last week I would have knocked you off the 3rd position 😉

But I’m not bitter… 😋😘

beaker

I had no choice but to run in the rain earlier, if I wasn’t doing this challenge I’d never have got off the sofa and gone out. I had a great run and even though it hammered down it didn’t matter.

DrP

Well that was a bit of commuting for me this morning… Then a nice 12ish km run tonight as me and a pal couldn’t be arsed getting muddy out on the downs!

Sheesh… Running is hard isn’t it!

DrP

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Half an hour of yoga will have to do for me.You lot must be knackered or super fit.Hopefully get out on my bike tomorrow.I,m taking it really easy because Christmas is a long way of.Pace yourself guys.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I dont suppose a challenge like this is a good time to start running.Injury would ruin the challenge.

onehundredthidiot

Well I’m in a nice routine and the 6-7km on the treadmill is getting easier. Wedding next weekend and Mrs 100th has decided I can run over to meet her at her hair appointment. That’ll be 15km, after a curry and beer.

My weight loss is greatly helped by tracked and lowered calorie intake. It’s helping push the exercise as that buys me more calories. Means I can have a scoff but have to use them up.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve done nothing about this despite being inspired by it. It has led to me buying some running shoes and last night I did my first run in about 30 years. 30 mins and 5km of running with a bit of walking. I won’t be running today but hopefully legs will have recovered enough to cope with a bike ride tomorrow night.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Bit chilly out this morning. Milton Keynes is actually quite pleasant before people get up.

DrP

[strava spy]How are you finding the 20ish mile commuting on a day to day basis?[/strava spy]

I did it for 3 days on the trot a few weeks ago and started to get tired/bored by day 3… Thankfully that was only a 3 day course, but if i had that commute daily, I think i’d Plan it 3 days a week, max, tbh…

DrP

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got into a rhythm of 20 mile-ish commutes, one way, similar to Mr P. I do a different route each day of the week and that livens things up a lot.

Last year I did 17 miles back and forth, home on Monday, in and back on Tuesday, in on Wednesday, home on Thursday, in on Friday. That worked OK, but it was on a quiet cycle route and I’d only see a couple of other people so I could really drop the hammer and use it as training which made it more bearable.

I’ve reached the “endlessly hungry” stage already, and my weight has dropped a tiny bit but I’ve started to gain some tone so I’m content to stuff my face!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Gym, Wattbike,walk,gym so far this week, going to actually try to get on a pedal bike soon.

naffa
    Free Member

Raining after work tonight and I fancied a walk not the trainer. Worked out well as on my way back and just at the top of the street I found £20. Bullseye!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Anybody starting to tire.I dont know if it’s the weather or old age but I,m struggling.I really must have a careful think about my food intake.

flowerpower
    Free Member

^ I was just about to post something similar.

For those of us new to this I think that the initial ‘novelty’ is wearing off… but I’m still determined and I know that I’ll be glad in the long run.

It is making me think of ways to include exercise into my life, rather than seeing it as an extra thing to do. Cycling the 10 mile round trip to the supermarket with my BOB instead of using the car, nipping out for a lunch run at work and doing ‘exploring’ bike rides rather than pushing the speed / miles are all helping. I’m also including one yoga or pilates session a week to break things up.

On the plus side I’ve lost a couple of lbs and must be toning up as my jeans fit better. I also like feeling physically tired at night, but I am trying to listen to my body and keeping things short when I need to. As always the hardest bit is getting out of the door, once I’m started its generally better than I expected!

Like the OP I lost a friend a few years ago, she was also doing the thing she loved, so at the end of the day I’m grateful that I still can go for a cold, wet, tired run… even if I don’t realize it at the time 👍

flowerpower
    Free Member

Doh… phone double post randomness

naffa
    Free Member

I’ve managed today but only just. Got a few days off work but I needed to put some money in the bank. Instead of driving right to the bank I parked down the high street, went to the bank and then continued walking. It was then I realised what a dump West Bromwich town centre is. I’ll walk a different way next time or ride there and head into Sandwell Valley.

DrP

I’m still going… Got the kids this weekend which will make any ‘focused’ exercise a challenge… Might have to resort to pull ups and kettle bells at home in the evening again!

I’m still feeling strong… Legs ache at times, but hey ho…

I guess a challenge will be actually taking it easy before races etc… I’ve the New Forest xc next Sunday. Prob get in a small jog for an hour or so on the Saturday…

Keep it up peeps!

DrP..

(clearly NOT losing weight cos I’m clearly NOT doing stoptober… More an early GOvember!)

sandboy

We’re both still at it, I’m starting to feel it, mostly heavy legs but as soon as I start riding I’m feeling much stronger. Regular stretching and using the foam roller is working to keeping me pedalling. Definitely need an easy day every 3-4 days. The lad continues to impress with his dogged determination to do at least 30 minutes every day, has said that he would like a gym membership with his school friends which could be a fitting reward for completing this challenge. Finding this a real motivation, there have been a few days that without this challenge I wouldn’t have gone out.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yep, I’m starting to tire. I’d recommend that you do some easier exercise over the weekend- I’m off mtbing but I’m going to park myself at the back of the group and spin away, then on Sunday I’ll probably limit myself to a walk.

I’d also suggest having a lie in if you can, it’ll really help you feel better.

Now is the time to start getting smart and mixing in some gentler stuff to make sure you last the whole challenge.

Mister-P
    Free Member

DrP – my usual routine is 6 of my 10 commutes by bike. I drive into work on Monday morning, drive home Weds night, drive back to work Thurs morning and drive home Friday night. I see my daughter on Weds night so no time for riding. However she was away so I rode more than usual and have to admit it was hard work. It felt like all I did was ride, eat and sleep. I forget that I’m not a young man anymore and recovery takes longer than it used to. I’m looking forward to not riding at all next week if I’m honest.

alwillis

Started this a week late with the intention of going to the end of the year. Going ok so far, and it’s a good motivator to get out, when for a lot of this year I haven’t made it.

Had a couple of days of 30 mins yoga, and I’m counting my 35minute bike commute when I can squeeze it in.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Al,are you doing your own thing,using a DVD or going to classes?Neil.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 402 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.