Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 402 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

My old racing partner Chris did something he called the 100 day challenge – from 16th September until Christmas Eve, he exercised for a minimum of half an hour (excluding any commuting <10 miles) every day. Chris was killed in an Avalanche in Glencoe back in 2013 and in the past few years some friends and I have done it, partly in his memory and partly because it’s a really good way to get some fitness to see you through the darkest months of winter with.

The rules are fairly simple-

– Exercise every day for a minimum of 1/2 an hour between 16th September and 24th December.
    – The exercise is basically whatever you want – biking, hiking, canoeing, swimming, running, yoga.
    – It’s not serious. Apart from the first year, we have all taken the odd day off if something more interesting/important was happening in our lives.

My pal that I normally do it with has a 4 month old so he’s decided to leave it this year and I thought a bit of motivation from others doing it on here would help.

Who’s up for it?

breninbeener

Sounds great! Im in. Sorry about your friend. This stuff is good as a tribute.

Ian

DrP

I’m up for this..will put a diary entry in!

DrP

ton

so just carry on as normal then. but I will put my name down.
    gonna swap a couple of rides for a swim and a bit of crossfit.

simon_g

I’m in. I’d been trying to do P90 most days in July, slipped a bit with holidays and stuff this month.

geex
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your mate.
    As with Ton I don’t really see how it’s possible NOT to exercise for 1/2 an hour each day (unless laid up ill or something) so I suppose by default I’m in too.
    Why is commuting excluded?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Mostly because everyone that we’ve done it with in the past cycled to work anyway and it’s not a challenge to just do what you always do. My mate cycles a ten mile round trip on the flat on a singlespeed at a gentle pace in normal clothes every day, so he decided that didn’t count. We decided that as my commute last year was a 32 mile round trip at about 18mph in cycling gear that I normally did twice a week it counted.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

If you do an hour one day,can you have the next day of?I think this might require some guidelines/rules.In my case motivation and support are also probably necessary.

munrobiker
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – nope, if you do an hour one day you still have to do half an hour the next! Every day is the crucial bit.

geex
    Free Member

My mate cycles a ten mile round trip on the flat on a singlespeed at a gentle pace in normal clothes every day, so he decided that didn’t count. We decided that as my commute last year was a 32 mile round trip at about 18mph in cycling gear that I normally did twice a week it counted.

Does sitting in the pub for 2 pints with a cycle helmet on count then?

;D

Iz confusing as.

My commute varies between a 20-40 mile round trip in normal clothes at 20mph average. (so at least an hours exercise each day)
    Would that count?
    To me exercise is exercise. No need to dress up like a fanny or use any special equipment to make it count. Whether it’s riding to work, walking to the pub and back or shagging a milf it all counts as exercise surely?

doomanic

Why do your pints need to wear a helmet?

geex
    Free Member

my pint doesn’t as it’s not a soft southern shandy.

kcal

@geex – maybe give it a rest eh?

Its a good motivator for sure – I have no real barrier to doing exactly that and yet don’t always – and then feel bad when it doesn’t happen. Don’t commute anyway !

Akers

I usually exercise every day, so in theory this should be easy, but in reality doing 100 consecutive days is hard.
    I don’t think I’ve ever managed it. Things like a travelling on holiday or full day out with family/friends will often scupper you.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don’t really see how it’s possible NOT to exercise for 1/2 an hour each day

Oh it’s pretty easy. Drive to work, sit at a desk all day, drive home again, sit on the sofa watching mind numbing reality TV shows until bedtime. I work with people who do exactly that. I can’t get my head around why you would want to live like it, but plenty of people do.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t really see how it’s possible NOT to exercise for 1/2 an hour each day

Oh it’s pretty easy. Drive to work, sit at a desk all day, drive home again, sit on the sofa watching mind numbing reality TV shows until bedtime. I work with people who do exactly that. I can’t get my head around why you would want to live like it, but plenty of people do.

It’s waaaaay more than plenty of people, it’s the vast majority.

peteimpreza

I am already doing this . 190 days continuous and counting.

catch up you lot.

Sorry about the OPs friend.

geex
    Free Member

Chill out kcal

lunge

Yep, I’m on. I’m not far off this anyway but it’ll give me the kick to stop Fridays being a lazy day and actually do something with them.
    Does walking count by the way? or are we thinking “proper” exercise here?!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Lunge – if you want walking to count then it counts.

jimmy

I’m in but know I’ll fail. But I’ll try not to. Commuting would count for me though, soz.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m up for this, be a nice run in to the festivities. Sorry about Chris munrobiker, a great way to remember him each year.

easily
    Free Member

I’m in … though a little bit peeved that my commute doesn’t count.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m up for this, just started stronglifts again and this would help keep me on track as well as prompting me to inject a bit of variety.

sandboy

What a great way to honour your friend. Count me in, I’ve being meaning to get on the bike every day like i used to when i was commuting half hour each way before getting made redundant. This is just the push I needed.

twistedpencil

I’m in. My commute is pretty sweaty so I’m going to include that. May have some long days when travelling but will fit it in somehow.

Wife is in as well.

What a great way to remember your friend.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Great idea. I’m in.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Lovely idea, I’m in.

I did 30 Days of Biking in April and felt really good. Enjoyed the challenge of fitting it in around family and work, and sitting down planning my week’s riding.

Will include any commutes I do if that’s okay. They’re only half hour each way but there’s some punchy climbs and I have to drag two full panniers around with me. 🙂

Will do the first couple of weeks of the Strava Escape Plan as warm up.

momo

What a brilliant tribute.

I’m in, it’s all too easy for me to slack off at the moment with a baby and toddler in the house!

cookeaa

I think I will opt into this one.

At the request of er’indoors half the garage is becoming a mini gym now.
    So far there’s a punchbag, some kettle bells, a Cross trainer and of course a turbo trainer, rowing and/or running machines may follow.
    So in the depths of winter neither of us will have any excuse not to be doing at least some exercise…

100 day challenge seems like a perfect extra little bit of motivation. Nice one OP.

rubymurry
    Free Member

Munrobiker, what a great idea and tribute to you friend.

I’m up for this and so is wife and kids

onehundredthidiot

Yep I’m in, just the incentive I need to fill the blank days.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Done a brisk half hour walk,for me not to bad.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea. Both the exercise and as a way of remembering your mate.

I need to get out of the slump of just commuting at the moment. 30min is a good excuse to go to the gym or get the CX bike out for a blast round the park.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Are we supposed to provide regular updates or support/motivation for stragglers?Otherwise what’s the point of this experiment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are we supposed to provide regular updates or support/motivation for stragglers?Otherwise what’s the point of this experiment.

If a tree falls down in the forest but doesn’t live stream it on social media, does it still happen 🤔

munrobiker
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – it depends how nerdy we want to get. I was thinking about setting up a Strava group, and/or we could have a Google spreadsheet similar to the one used for the STW Chub Club where we could have a list of user names and a column for each day to record what you’ve done. Or we can just keep it on the thread. Does any of that sound good?

Glad you’re all into it!

lunge

Not a bad start for me. Sunday was 20 minutes of running and a 30 minute walk, today will be 2 hours on the bike.

Tomorrow I have a dilemma, I’m doing a run that if I’m feeling good can be done in a smidge under 30 mins but could also easily be just over. Do I take my time to fit the rules or go for a faster time and work harder?!

munrobiker
    Free Member

lunge and monkeycmonkeydo – you know it doesn’t start until the 16th? 😉

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Let’s just keep the thread going.I forgot about it starting on the 16th.I,ll view my efforts as pre season training.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 402 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.