Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 402 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Anybody else had a bit of a dip ine month in?This week has been a struggle.It may be because I,ve seen a former “Loise” in my life!That and the weather has knocked me a bit.Time to MTFU me thinks.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Have we all died?

sandboy

Still going well although struggled on Saturday with travelling to Wales and going to the football on route in The midlands. Landed at Hermon Bach at about 10 pm and had to settle with walking the dog up a big hill in the dark. Yesterday was spent walking in the forest and down to CdB visitor centre to plan the weeks riding with the kids. We’re staying about 200m from the halfway cafe so have access to the trails from the door and the kids can’t wait to get there!! Hope to get up Cadir Idris if we get a day with a decent weather forecast so all is good.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I failed. Am gutted to be honest 😔

Was going well and feeling the benefits, then last week I was travelling abroad for work, with my boss and visiting suppliers. Early flights, moving hotel rooms daily, late hospitality… it opened my eyes as to how much these work trips take over your life while you are away. I feel a bit annoyed with myself that I didn’t make time, I think a big part of it was ‘not wanting to make a fuss’ or to having to explain why I wanted an hour to myself. But I wish I had – feeling really sluggish and unhealthy when I got home.

I will continue, but I probably need a new goal to keep me going. It’s my birthday at the end of Jan, so maybe I’ll look at using that as a target.

Well done everyone who is keeping it up. I’ll be a bit more prepared next year.

onehundredthidiot

Still going. Finding it a boost. Didn’t get as much done last week as I wanted and this week will be a drag but dog walk when I get home from work then probably hit the turbos again. Would much rather ride outside but it’s not a good idea, at least for this week.

rubymurry
    Free Member

Still on it, had a dip to be honest Saturday came down with a 24hr vomiting bug!!!! But back on it today just feeling weak, can I be let off Saturday for being sick 🤢

tiim
    Free Member

Commiserations to anyone who’s dropping a bit on this – Don’t beat yourself up, start a new streak.

I’m trying to do every day sept – dec which so far is on track, niggling Achilles injury and saddle sores have seen a lot more yoga than usual for me (i.e. more than none) and after a week racing across the Pyrenees it has taken some motivation to keep on it for the last week or so, but am coming out of the other side of the tiredness hole and still on track.

Good luck to all still going and those who’ve dropped a day or two, it’s a great habit to build even with gaps.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d definitely not consider it failing – it’s a voluntary, light hearted challenge. The real aim is to get you doing more than you would normally, and I think that everyone posting has achieved that. If you had a few days off and still want to do it, just keep going til Christmas.

I’ve realised (agian) that I just bloody love riding my bike. I’ve only had one day off the bike each week for the last couple of weeks and I’m not getting bored of it. I have some hard days (I had a bit of time trial this morning) and some gentler days to recover and it seems to be working.

Yesterday we lifted 1.5tonnes of topsoil up a flight of stairs and I counted that. It was tough.

sandboy

As I said right at the beginning of this challenge, I used to commute every day, one way I used to treat as a time trial and go as hard as I could followed by an easy spin. That coupled with riding with the kids on Saturday and club run on Sunday meant I rode a bike almost every day. Since losing my job this has slowly declined and this challenge was just the push I needed to get back at it and I can honestly say that I’m feeling so much better both in body and mind. I’m feeling fitter and stronger, much better appetite and sleep. The lad has also kept it up every day and although I made fun of his bouncing and hooping he has also felt a benefit. Today we did the blue route at CdB twice, once this morning and again in the afternoon and I noticed how much stronger on the uphills he was. In the grand scheme of things, half an hour’s exercise each day is within the scope of most people and the benefit is well worth the effort. My goal is to continue this for the foreseeable simply because I know it’s doing me the world of good.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I failed last week. Came down with humdinger of a cold so missed about 4 days, then had a weekend away at relatives which meant lots of driving etc.

And I missed adding a few non-recorded activities to strava.

Working away so only a walk tomorrow before a long train journey home.

Back on it Wednesday. Shows how hard it is to actually do it every day.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Seems to be alot of cold around.My mates are all suffering.MUST AVOID.

munrobiker
    Free Member

One thing I’ve found invaluable in dodging colds is this stuff. I use it whenever I get a hint that I’m getting a cold and it’s worked almost every time. When I haven’t used it I’ve gone down with something. It certainly helps at this time of year regardless of whether you’re doing the challenge or not.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/267308562

beaker

So I must hang my head in shame and admit defeat. I’ve been unable to do any activity for the last two days. I work a twelve hour shift and due to work load over the past two days I haven’t been able to take my lunch hour. I’ll pick back up today- great work to all of you that haven’t skipped a day yet!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Those shifts count in my book beaker.Sounds bloody tough and puts half an hours exercise in the shade.

onehundredthidiot

Today was just Pilates. First non cardio day. Hoping to get a good ride tomorrow.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Heavy rain tomorrow dude,might not be pleasant.

rubymurry
    Free Member

Decided to come to Lake District for a few days with kids so hiked up Loughrigg this morning, pony trekking tomorrow and a whizz up Whinlatter 🚲 tomorrow night… anyone in Keswick want to join me please feel free 👍

onehundredthidiot

yeah just spotted that longer ride might have to wait until sunday. it’ll be sufferfest again tomorrow.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Alas I have totally fell off the wagon. Felt a bit weary and run down, general manflu like symptoms. Turns out my blood pressure has sky rocketed. Currently trying to sort it out but the challenge has fell by the wayside. Hopefully get back on track though, just need to introduce something a bit more low-key.

twistedpencil

Looks like today might be my first failure. Was all set to head out on the MTB this evening when, alas, call from the wife and her car had broken down. So I’ve had to go and rescue the kids. Will try and do some sit ups and press ups when I finally get them to bed…  but first Fifa 19 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Tp,as you rescued the wife,aren’t you owed half an hour of rough sex?I,m single by the way.

munrobiker
    Free Member

but first Fifa 19 🙂

I think you’re the first person who’s missed a day I’ve no sympathy for – if you’ve time to sit playing a computer game where imaginary people exercise, you’ve got time to do exercise!

Speaking of time, I’ve realised part of my problem with this year’s challenge and how tired I’ve been feeling is my tardiness. A lot of mine is cycling a long, long way to work (direct is 4 miles, I go at least 13 and up to 30). I keep thinking “tomorrow I’ll take it steady” but then set off a bit too late and have to hoon it to get there in time. Weekend of decorating ahead so I’ll sneak in two properly gentle half hour rides to recover.

sandboy

Travelled back from Wales today and wasn’t looking forward to going out. I charged my lights yesterday and just got back from an hour out on the road bike. The challenge is now going to be even tougher for me, getting out in the dark after a day at work has always been hard, going to need some extra motivation if its wet!!

twistedpencil

Munrobiker Fifa 19 was with my lad before his bedtime, he doesn’t handle change of routines well so was a bit anxious after being stranded in the car.  But yes I did fail, tried to work up the enthusiasm for press ups but the sight of my mtb equipment already to go knocked the wind out of my sails.

Monkeycmonkeydo 1/2hour of sex. Jesus those days are long gone 🙂 a couple of minutes and an embarrassed apology is a good showing.

Thursday was a long day….

Been back on it since, blooming knackered at the moment though.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Struggling a bit with a mild chest infection.Mainly just walking and stretching,plus about to do some Yoga.The recent Monsoon conditions seem to have knocked my health/motivation for six.Perhaps, Dr P, if he’s still going can give us all advice.Staying healthy in these conditions is a challenge.

schmiken

Lost about 10 days total due to illness, but enjoying it much more than I thought I would! Done loads of climbing and running, which has really improved the mood 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Climbing and running are things I can only dream about.This challenge has made me realise what a knackered old man I am.I think,nothing short of a new life will galvanise me into real fitness.Perhaps, this adventure will make us all realise our lifestyle shortcomings.To that extent it’s a useful exercise.Neil.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m realising my own short comings. I think I’ve started to get the feelings of overtraining. I’ll take most of next week off the bike and do some hiking and stuff.

rubymurry
    Free Member

Still on it, had few days biking around Keswick over a long weekend, sadly the day I failed was an ear infection and not a sick bug (Labrythitus) bloody horrible feeling of nausea and vertigo, but only missed one day so tagging it on at the end (Christmas Day 🥳)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m realising my own short comings. I think I’ve started to get the feelings of overtraining. I’ll take most of next week off the bike and do some hiking and stuff.

I did ‘Marcothon’ last year, it’s a similar idea to this, run 5k every day in December, and I ended up feeling a bit meh towards the end.

I reckon it would be good for someone who didn’t really do much, a wee kick starter, but tbh I ran less that month than I normally did, as I was only ever running 5k to tick the box, none of it quality training such as tempo, zone 2 runs etc, as such I never felt any benefit at the end up.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Well done Ruby,I,m beginning to think low level illness might just be a byproduct of this challenge.Food for thought from Nobeer.Am I really doing more than normal?Perhaps not more but just different disciplines.To all feeling tired out there I strongly recommend a Yoga session.Works for me anyway.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Almost missed it today (I’m off away for the weekend riding and if I didn’t go out this morning I’d miss the chance to exercise these evening because I’ll be on the beer) but wrenched myself out of my pit and snuck in a gentle ride!

I reckon it would be good for someone who didn’t really do much, a wee kick starter, but tbh I ran less that month than I normally did, as I was only ever running 5k to tick the box, none of it quality training such as tempo, zone 2 runs etc, as such I never felt any benefit at the end up.

I treat it as a real training thing to build up a base for the following year’s racing. It’s noticeable though that my average speeds are down for a lot of the challenge compared to when I’m riding in the spring. I’ve tried not to reduce my distances, and sure enough I’ve done 470 miles in October which matches my distance for August but is otherwise a good chunk above what I’d normally do.

It’s worked really nicely in the past – after the first one I did I rested carefully and then we got 5th at the Strathpuffer in Male Quads, and 2019’s race season was great. It is all about managing it though, so you don’t go to easy or burn out.

Also, the lower intensity of exercise helps me lose a bit of flab, my wife reckons I look really lean at the moment and the same thing happens every year.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Perhaps your speeds a down a little due to the rotten weather conditions.Speaking of which, the monsoon returns from today.Who would have thought Yoga could be so popular.

onehundredthidiot

Aye still on it. Pilates last night about to sufferfest in a wee while.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Still not been out today. I’ll do something but Jesus that weather is bleak.

We’re halfway in, though. Well done everyone that’s had a go, and especially those who have kept it up.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Weights today,cycling tomorrow.I cant say I,m really pushing the envelope.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I wonder if ton and DrP have fallen by the wayside.This thread seems strangely quiet.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m still at it. So far I’ve managed to avoid yoga on consecutive days as that feels like a bit of a cop out, but not sure I’ll manage to keep that up for the second half of the challenge as the evenings get progressively more grim.

DrP

Struggling a bit with a mild chest infection.Mainly just walking and stretching,plus about to do some Yoga.The recent Monsoon conditions seem to have knocked my health/motivation for six.Perhaps, Dr P, if he’s still going can give us all advice.Staying healthy in these conditions is a challenge.

It’s a tough one for sure… firstly it IS the season for colds and viruses, so you’re going to give your body a double whammy of exercising and being ill…and the trouble is that if you DO exercise when ill, it just prolongs the illness…
    I think it’s really important to keep up the fluids and a good healthy diet (i’ma firm non-believer in supplements..i think fresh fruit and veg and nuts should suffice.). I guess listen to the body – rather than punish out a 6 hour ride, just do a 40 min ride that keens the HR up, but isn’t punishing… like resting whilst exercising!

I’m finding that as soon as you break the routine, it’s hard to get back into it.

DrP

Disclaimer – i’ve failed this challenge as i had the shits for 4 weeks last month! thankfully all back to normal, and I don’t know why i had it, but it got draining in teh end and i had a few days rest.. also, some busy days when I’ve had the kids i’ve tried kettlebells and chin ups (got a bar in the garden) but really, if i’m honest, that’s probably only 15 min hard exercise as I get bored!

onehundredthidiot

Still on it. Two days non cardio due to buckled knee. Some easier days but feeling a bit exercise addicted now. 5km treadmill run this am and sufferfest this pm. Pity the weather is a bit shit.
    Now lost 5kg since the start. 74.4kg-69.4kg

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 402 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.