Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,268 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas
  • Pook

Bern stumbling through lazy walks the last few days so feel like I’m cheating a bit,  but still clocking more than I typically would. Wet night rides for the next few nights it looks like

sirromj

Two rides today (to/from, not commute) total 18.7 miles, on the hardtail, doorstep, cross country, link-lanes, muddy in places. Intending to keep effort low, but needed to get places after the rides but wanting to go places during the rides and windy and tired from exercise yesterday evening. Summer really definitely over now.

lunge

65 miles on the road bike today with a shed load of climbing. Not ridden that far this year as my focus has been running so it was good to test the legs.
    And having done that I then had to go and run 4 miles as I have a streak to keep up.
    Won’t lie, I’m shattered now.

scotroutes

Bern stumbling through lazy walks the last few days so feel like I’m cheating a bit

It’s not a race. We’re only on day 26 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

A quarter of the way in, rattling on towards a third. It’s definitely not the time to go tearing around every day – I think I’ve learnt a lot this year about riding slowly to ride faster so while I’m doing a few tough rides every week I’m doing a lot of gentler stuff too. It must be working – I’ve had a Strava achievement every week of the challenge despite not having really had any for the past five years, and am beating times I got earlier in the year (up and down hills – fitness helps even if gravity is on your side!). So, don’t feel bad about taking it easy some, or even most, of the time.

Here’s what I’ve been up to-

Day 22 – A morning road bike lap of Arthur’s seat before a web conference for work.

Day 23 – Another early morning road ride made exciting by a bloody massive swan flying straight at me, only deviating at the last second.

Day 24 – A night time lap of Arthur’s Seat with my wife now that everyone’s decided to ignore the Scottish Government’s advice to work from home and drive to the city, meaning our usual loop is too busy.

Day 25 – I have two specialities on a bike, and they’re things no other mountain biker gives a shit about – trackstands and grinding up ridiculously steep slopes that most people struggle with- at least they’re rewarded with great descents. I love switching my brain off and mashing away up 20% gradients like the ones on this ride in the Pentlands. My mate Stephen, not so much-

That was 24 miles with nigh on 5,000ft of climbing and I followed that with an eight mile round trip ride to a 6 mile hike with some friends so I was fully toasted after that.

Day 26 – I had sort of hoped to just keep riding my bike but the big climbing efforts on the MTB the past week were starting to get to me so we went for a walk.

Peeped some good trains too-

Day 27- I’m on a diet (as moral support to help my wife with hers but I could do to lose 5kg anyway), the 5:2, and today is a diet day so I just got out of bed and went out in the pissing rain to avoid doing it when I’m really hungry later. It was nice enough – the colours are starting to kick off on the trees.

loum
    Free Member

Lovely pictures Munro biker.
    I’m out for a bit, just had surgery. Docs say nothing strenuous for a month. My last effort was a five mile run and 1km North sea swim on Wednesday.
    I’m going to claim that technically I’ve prepaid this month, cos I started my exercise every day in mid August knowing this time would come. Hope you’ll have me back when I’m allowed to exercise again, will be back to starting from scratch with gentle walks.
    One thing I have been doing is reading about training, and found some useful stuff on this sort of challenge in a Joe friel book.
    Apparently, mental toughness is made up of confidence, commitment and patience, and the biggest threat to consistent training is a lack of patience. It’s going too hard too soon today that’s most likely to scupper tomorrow’s session. So stay steady, all. 🙂

jimmy

What was your 24m/5000ft route MB? We have similar tastes in ride/climbing… I’m also way behind on the 7500m/month Strava challenge so need a big day this week.

EDIT: indoor bouldering on this wet day for me

munrobiker
    Free Member

jimmy – from my house to Bonaly, round to Maiden’s and down, up the head of Loganlea then left and straight up the side of the hill to the top of Carnethy. Then over Carnethy and Turnhouse and up Allermuir, then descending the goat track to Hillend. Probably my two favourite descents in the Pentlands but not quite as big a ride as the full Kips route.

DrP

I’m just feeling tired at the moment!! Keeping it up, and got a 20k ride planned from home to my other half’s this evening..
    I’m going to take it easy – keep an eye on the power meter to ensure i’m just turning the legs, rather than the 40 minute TT i normally turn it into!

DrP

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Nice pictures munroe.Not convinced your wife needs to be on a diet though!Jimmy,what on earth is indoor bouldering?Where would that take place?

munrobiker
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – it’s basically just rock climbing indoors. There are climbing walls that offer it – it’s quite dear compared to say, swimming, but it’s bloody good fun. There’s loads of places set up for it now.

With this challenge sort of in mind I used the start of lockdown to convert my loft into a bouldering wall using old carpet from rooms we’d done up, paint left behind by the old owners, free sheets of wood from IKEA and some high quality timber. This should be enough to keep me entertained when it’s too wet for me to face going out-

[/url]IMG-20200518-WA0007

ahsat

@munrobiker that is awesome.

I miss the wall and I’m wondering about making it my one thing I’m prepared to mix with people for. That said, they fall under gyms so if Leeds heads the same way as Liverpool, they won’t be open for long.

7 Teams meetings today…think it’s time to head into the garage for some kettlebells.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Munro biker can we swap lives!!!

Mega day out hiking in the Lakes yesterday and the 7km in the Peaks today. Didn’t check the forecast today and it wasn’t raining when we left! Pint at the Ship at Wincle sorted us out though! As did the Sausage Rice and Gravy for the pooch!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

25 minutes go at some weights.Will try to do some more later.Felt a bit tired after the weekends mild cold like symptoms.Didnt want to push it with my asthma.I also think,not having music blasting in my ears tends to make me a bit bored.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I think you could play five a side in Munros loft.

sirromj

things no other mountain biker gives a shit about – trackstands

Ah thought you said you can barely do that type of thing? It’s a fundamental building block of trials. Could probably build a fairly decent beginner trials park in that loft 😉

A 5k run for me today, with a little walking either side to warm up & cool down.

scotroutes

90 minutes walking. 6.5km.

I took the opportunity to explore a little corner of the world I’d always wondered about and where a bike would have been a complete hinderance.

Caught some canoes going down the Spey too

jimmy

Loganlea then left and straight up the side of the hill to the top of Carnethy

Oof. I’ve never biked up those hills as I thought it’s mostly unclimbable… Until last week. Went from the col between West Kip and Monk’s rig around the Kips (Northside, not over) then lurched up alongside the felled trees on the forestry path up to the col an up Scald Law. The slippery grass caught me out near the end (was pissing down). Needed all the gears for that.

The loft looks great, good work.

jeffl

Dragged myself out for a run after binning the broken washing machine, replacing it with a spare the parents had. But the waste pipe on that had been mangled by my dad when he took it out of their kitchen so that needs a new waste hose which I’ve ordered.

Now just been into the kitchen after my run and the sodding dishwasher has leaked all over the floor.

1st world problem, I know. But FFS!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Struggled today, busy at work, being audited 😵, eldests birthday tomorrow so flying about sorting that plus domestic gubbins. Gone 9 by the time I could even consider it. Didn’t fancy gearing up and going for a run or a ride so stuck 20kg of weights in my rucksack and went for a walk up and down the hill. Weird but good. Turns out you can also drink beer while doing it. Win.

scotroutes

Once again – thank goodness for running. Shitty weather all day but I eventually dragged on my shoes and did a 31min/6km.

ahsat

Dragged myself out first thing for a walk whilst it was sunny. Thank goodness I did as another 11+ hour work day followed. Thank goodness for this challenge as otherwise I’d easily not leave the house!

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve failed today 😔 life has just got in the way.

Will get out tomorrow though….99/100 days will still be a good effort I think.

sirromj

Attempted to do the Bodyweight Warrior’s PNF Full Body Flexibility Routine today. Struggled with the hip flexor stuff

Got the rarely used gymnastic rings out this evening and did half an hour off basic support holds, hangs, and planks, and hangs with different grip on the pull up bar.

scotroutes

Dragged myself out first thing for a walk whilst it was sunny.

This is what I should have done, instead of seeing the best part of the day slip away into grey mizzle.

jeffl

Yesterday I was struggling for motivation after a busy day of working then sorting out some leaking plumbing so wasn’t able to do anything until 10pm. Didn’t help that it was lovely and sunny in the morning whilst I was stuck at my desk working and then the rain descended around 1pm 🙁

So dug out some resistance bands, which I’ve never used before, and did a YouTube video for half an hour. Was quite good fun but I definitely ached when I woke up this morning. Probably due to the fact that I never do any upper body work.

ahsat

In the garage at 8 am this morning with the dumbbells. I never had to sweep the floor at Nuffield before I worked out… ha! Getting bored of a limited dumbbell and kettlebell range after 7+ months. Thinking of investing in a Olympic bar as I don’t see myself back at the gym for a long time (plus my garage is more convenient round work!).

Tom-B
    Free Member

Back at it today, a nice sunny walk up Bosley Cloud with the pooch.

mogrim

Still going here – yesterday was one of the last few midweek after work rides, if we’re lucky it’ll be this week and next before the clocks change. Then it’ll be back to the turbo (or skive off work during the day…)

And it was a good ride, too 🙂 I went out with my mate Carlos on the road bikes, we gave it a bit, nicely cooperating as one flagged the other took over, and managed a few new PBs and a new PB average speed for the route.

Run+swim tonight.

BillOddie

Been keeping 1/2 an eye on this…

Not missed a day as yet but seeing as i have dog that needs 60-90 mins of walking per day, I’m pretty unluckily to miss a day unless i get sick/injured.

I have also been doing 3-4 garage gym sessions (powerlifting and bodybuilding work) a week too since i sorted out the garage, however I really must get out on the bike more as I have been very slack in that regard!

claudie

This challenge has got me swimming again to add a bit of variety to my activities. After about 10 sessions I thought I would get myself a lesson as it had been about 40 years since the last one – turns out there is definitely room for improvement, I stop kicking when I rotate to breathe and need to slow my arms down and stretch them out further amongst other things. It was a one to one lesson and I was exhausted after only 30 minutes, swimming is hard work!

Nick

Thank god for Zwift is all I can say, 31 days of at least 30 minutes exercise now in the bag, no way would I have managed if I had to go outside, not when I got home at 9pm on Sunday after clearing my mother’s house anyway, but was able to grab a 30 minute Zwift workout.

jimmy

Had planned to ride into Edinburgh yesterday and do a 7Hills route. However, it was hosing down so messaged my pal to say I’m not doing it, leaving it suitably open-ended so that he arranged to come to mine for midday. He got the worst of the day’s rain riding through and then we went up the Pentlands for a proper soggy round. Great fun.

After running, climbing and biking, goosed today but got an hour’s yoga in this morning to clear the rest of the day.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I managed to sneak in the 8-9pm dry weather window yesterday and did a ten mile loop at about 85% effort – I seem to struggle to get the gravel bike past the 19mph mark but it was fun to go for a bit of a burner, I might make it a weekly thing.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve tracking 3 days behind at the moment but plan to ‘buy them back’ by getting out twice on a few days over the next week or so.
    This is harder than i thought with work commitments, looking after kids and deteriorating weather.

Glad i’m doing it though.

sirromj

Stayed in all day yesterday waiting for covid test results for son who had a very high temperature Tuesday. Felt a bit tired from exercising so decided to wait until the evening when kids in bed, to do yoga. Instead I spent the whole evening trying to get a Windows laptop to print to printer plugged into a Linux desktop. Annoyed with myself because I missed the exercise and didn’t even get the IT stuff working.

Test results thankfully negative arrived this morning which we expected after his temperature had returned to normal yesterday.

Will be out on bike(s) today.

scotroutes

40km on the fatbike yesterday. Rode up to the Cas car park (always a joy 😉) for a hot chocolate and stashed a beer for our local beerienteering group. Colours are turning, especially the birch.

mogrim

It was a one to one lesson and I was exhausted after only 30 minutes, swimming is hard work!

@claudie
    if you’re swimming on your own (ie not a lesson) it’s worth slowing down and focussing on the technique, thrashing up and down the pool might make you feel like Phelps but long run you’re better off getting it right and making it look effortless 🙂

Last night’s training session was hard: the coach had promised “a surprise”, and that turned out to be a circuit – 3×50″x8 stations (with 10″ to move to the next one), things like skipping/standing jumps/running round cones etc. Nothing too hard individually, but the cumulative effect is a different matter. And then despite my “effortless” comment above, the swim was anything but. Felt great afterwards though!

mogrim

@scotroutes wtf is this? “stashed a beer for our local beerienteering group” ? Sounds great 🙂

scotroutes

@mogrim – something we started during lockdown. The idea is to take a can of beer, hide it, take a couple of photos and then post these on a Facebook Group we set up for the purpose. The photos ideally give a (not too obvious) clue to the location. Adding something in the text might be handy too. Then, other members of the group try to find it. It worked really well as a means of getting folk to explore some of the less visited areas around us when travel was restricted.

My own “rules” are only one beer per ride* and beer must be drunk where found. 

You want to keep the numbers in the group to a manageable size and best if you know they are all responsible types, so Invite only/Closed group. . We prefer no bottles (risk of damage), though beer has occasionally been supplemented by miniatures of whisky.

IIRC there are currently 20 caches up and down the Strath waiting to be retrieved.

* I made an exception to this on one bivvy ride when I picked up 2 cans en route to the 3rd, which is where I bivvied.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,268 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.