Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,268 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

It seems people who did this last year are keen to have another go.

I used to race bikes with a chap called Chris who did this every year. He was extremely fit and very humble – to the point where I didn’t actually know he set himself the task of exercising every day in the run up til Christmas until after he died. Chris was killed at the age of 24 in an avalance in Glencoe. A few years later his friends started doing it in his memory (and to stop us getting fat in winter). For me, it’s good training for the Strathpuffer in January (which we race in Chris’s memory, raising over £30,000 for Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team along the way).

The rules are fairly simple-

– Exercise every day for a minimum of 1/2 an hour from 16th September until 24th December.
    – The exercise is basically whatever you want – biking, hiking, canoeing, swimming, running, yoga.
    – It’s not serious. Apart from the first year, we have all taken the odd day off if something more interesting/important was happening in our lives.
    – Your usual active commute doesn’t count if it’s fairly short. I’ll let you be the judge of what that is, but if you think it’s too short then adding 30 minutes on top of it is what my pals and I deemed appropriate.

There’s a Strava club in the link below but post on here as and when you want to update everyone, ask for motivation and complain about how tired you are/gloat about how good you’re feeling.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/551467

bigyim
    Free Member

I’m in!! Could do with losing a few pounds

MoreCashThanDash

I’m on for this 👍

sandwicheater

Cheers for posting OP.

I’ll give it a whirl.

Tried last year with the Mrs but a case of bad cat aids at about day 50 put an end to it.

I’ve started today, didn’t have anything better to do this morning. Mrs Sandwicheater will again keep me company.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just done 20 mins of circuits and made a spreadsheet. Working up to the 30!

lunge

I’m in and have joined the Strava club.
    I suspect the majority of mine will be running

DrP

Good shout on the new post..I’m in again.
    I got really fit last year, and felt better for it…

I managed a mix of running/cycling/garden crossfit..
    5 sets of the this (below) took about 30 min

This year will add Zwift to the mix, as wrist isn’t up to ‘proper’ mountain biking as yet…

WE CAN DO THIS..

DrP

Pook

I’ll have a go. 16th September is my birthday. Never knew it was 100 days to Christmas from then.

jodafett

Count me in. Mostly running and HIIT in the kitchen for me I hope!

I’m going to do this. I would imagine mostly Zwift.

ahsat

I’m in – cycling, turbo (FulGaz for me), walking, home weights and Pilates for me. I’ve been awful at getting out in the week round WFH, so good motivation.

piemonster

I’m in as well!

sirromj

I’m in. Though I begrudge the non-inclusive-commute stance. Not everyone commutes at a pace so slow they don’t need to get changed, most of my commutes are substantially more intensive than a brisk walk for instance. Sorry to moan! However I do feel like I need to expand my range of exercise and move about more (due to sitting at PC for hours on end) so doing this is more about other exercise than commutes. When I get back to commuting properly hope to ensure more gentle rides to avoid wearing myself out before I get the chance to do other forms exercise. Joined Strava club but only upload rides/runs.

wooobob

Great idea. I’ll give it a whirl. Need some fitness focus, this sounds just the thing.

breninbeener

Im in. Thanks OP. I have joined the Strava club. Its a strong way to remember your friend.

Ian

schmiken

I’m in.

longdog
    Free Member

Joined the club, so I’m in. Cycling, zwift and walking mainly, but I intend to do some upper body stuff and yoga too.

jimmy

I begrudge the non-inclusive-commute stance

Include it then, I did last year.

LAP13
    Free Member

Thanks for this.

mogrim

Also joined, should be a decent incentive to avoid those “it’s pissing down and I can’t be arsed so I’ll call it a rest day” moments 🙂

willard

In! Worst case I will actually run for 30 minutes, but I think 30 minutes of press-ups or burpees would kill me.

icic
    Free Member

I’m in, it only takes 21 days to become a habit 😏

doomanic

I’m in. Currently on a three week streak anyway, just hope the gyms remain open as I quickly lose motivation if I’m not paying for my exercise opportunities…

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m going to try this!

Really strangely, I was in the Scottish Highlands for the first time a few weeks ago and it jogged my memory of the avalanche…..I was telling my girlfriend about it. I seem to have missed this exercise challenge in years gone by though. We’re both going to attempt it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sirromj- if it helps, I do include my commute if I go out of my way. The rule came about because one of my friends was not including his 6 mile flat commute in Denmark, but I was including my old 16 mile 19mph commute. We decided that was reasonable.

Now my commute is 4 miles (well, since March it’s been zero) I up it to a 17-30 mile trip to keep in the rules.

Tom B- I still get the willies when I drive through Glencoe.

I’m surprised that on a bike website how few of you are saying you’ll ride your bikes. It’s basically all I do!

doomanic

I’ll be riding most weekends, but there’s not a fat lot of fun riding locally that’s interesting enough to get me out on a grey day during the week and there’ll be a few those before Xmas.

mogrim

I’m surprised that on a bike website how few of you are saying you’ll ride your bikes. It’s basically all I do!

I’ll be riding… just on the road. Or turbo when winter gets here. (Plus running and swimming).

lunge

I’m surprised that on a bike website how few of you are saying you’ll ride your bikes.

There will be a most 1 ride a week here I suspect. Though if I get back to the office, 20 hilly miles each way may be counted too.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden since 2015 😳

Really keen to start again, however time is fairly limited and my girlfriend hates biking, so hiking/climbing/scrambling is our thing together.

Gonna do some home HIIT training as part of the challenge, trying to get into the habit of going up Bosely Cloud every day with the dog too (it was hell in the emergence from lockdown though). We’re also committed to a proper 6 hour hike every Sunday come rain or shine until the end of the year. Ticked another 3 Wainwright’s off on Sunday in both rain and shine!!

TheWrongTrousers

Oh go on then, I’ll have a go.
    Thanks for the suggestion

dan2406

Thanks I will try and give it a go. 👍 Signed up to the Strava club too. Hoping for some motivation along the way 👍

bartesque

I am up for this started lockdown really well with lots of excercise but has reverted back to pre covid levels now i am back in the office mix of mtb, zwift a bit of cliff running (maybe)if i can persuade my good lady to join me. She took a nasty tumble at the start of the year which has put her off a litlle

swavis

I’m in too, and I’ll mostly be riding my bike (mtb & Zwift), well and walking the dog 😉

twistedpencil

I’m in again. Mainly riding my bike with press ups and sit ups.  When knackered you’ll see a few dog walks on my strava feed 🙂 (good shout swavis)

swavis

I’ll use the dog walks when wife is working and the kids don’t want to ride bikes. Plus doggo is retired as a trailhound now 🙁

crapjumper
    Free Member

I’m in too . Just running for me

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Is running every day not somewhat damaging to the body.I,m a non runner but I would imagine your knees are going to take a hit.

lunge

Is running every day not somewhat damaging to the body.I,m a non runner but I would imagine your knees are going to take a hit.

Same as anything, you get used to it.
    I’ve run every day since lockdown began and there’s at least 1 person on the running thread who’s at about 18 months.
    Knees are fine, calfs ache from time to time, and energy levels go up and down, but no major issues overall.

richmtb

I’m in too.

It will be TrainerRoad and MTB mostly for me.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Gosh,I walked six miles yesterday along the river in my new Grensons. My feet are a bit battered today.Anybody know about quality shoes?Do they require a breaking in period or am I just soft?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,268 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.