Home Forums Chat Forum ⛷️ ❄️ The STW Ski and Snowboard thread : the 2024-2025 season

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • ⛷️ ❄️ The STW Ski and Snowboard thread : the 2024-2025 season
    nbt

With the Captain still absent on a deep cover operation, I thought I’d start this season’s thread as I can’t see one yet.

Who’s got plans for this season? How has last season affected this season’s plans?

We’d planned a MASSIVE trip last year, but a season ending injury for Mrs NBT put paid to all of that in the very first week. We’re still sorting the insurance (tip: think very hard about using MPI brokers), but hopefully it will all be resolved. We’d had a superb first week in Sainte Foy (base at 1700m ish), but the next part of our trip was due to be in Morillon (base at 600m ish) where the entire village was green for most of the season. The snow did reach as low as the 1100m “base area” at times, but for many weeks it simply was not possible to ski back down. That’s made us sit up and think about our chosen areas so we’re planning to stay in Flaine (base at 1600m ish) this coming January.

There did seem to be a very noticeable snowline in France this last season  – from about 1600m the snow was plentiful and stayed all season, where below 1600 it was sporadic and didn’t last long at all. Mrs NBT insisted I take a trip with friends at Easter, without here, so I went to Tignes for the first week of April and had some great skiing -plenty of snow, some freshies, and an excellent time. Tignes base villages are at 2000m though. We headed down towards the lower villages on one day but then turned back, and even getting into La Daille we could see the snowquality deteriorating (still, it was April so we shouldn’t complain)

Anyway, Flaine in January for us if things work out – we’ll be driving down so any recommendations for friday night stop-off somewhere around Troyes?

What have you all got planned?

toby1

Went to Flaine in mid-March this year, it was ok, but one trip over to Samones proved that the lower levels weren’t worth visiting. By the end of the week in Flaine the snow was patchy at the village level and crispy higher up, the groomers did well with what little they had.

Personally I’d not go back to Flaine, but I know you know your way around so I’ll not go into detail.

It’s hard to know what to do for next season, leave it till the last minute and book based on weather, or book ahead and hope for the best.

As for a stop over Troyes is a lovely town we stayed at one of the hotels on the main road in from the autoroute, probably 10 minutes walk to the town sqaure, underground carpark was secured too so no need to worry about kit in the car.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hopefully doing a week in Tignes for season opening with my mate….will be flying and staying in a Chalet. Not done that kind of trip in about 6/7 years. Mate is a VERY good snowboarder, so will be out of my depth at times!

Then a trip in our motorhome in late March again. Will see where has good snow. Serre Che and Montgenvre are so well set up for motorhomes, which make them the obvious target. But may try a a site in Bourg St Maurice which has access to Les Arcs etc. Not been there before.

Also, new snowboard will hopefully be happening, likely a Salomon Sick Stick.

mrhoppy

Last season we went to Trysil in Norway after a grass skiing trip to Saalbach the year before. Scandi skiing does remove the concerns over snow cover somewhat, and it’s nice to generally not have to fight for lifts and not have to faff with deteriorating snow conditions through the day.

So back to Scandi again, just trying to sort out the final bits on a trip to Äre over Christmas (Mrs Hoppy teaches and Hoppy Jr in school so very much tied). Nobody appears to be running there this year which is a bit of a ball ache but it keeps her busy planning over the summer hols.

blackhat
    Free Member

A week in Val d’Isere in December for a training tune up ahead of a bucket list trip to Utah.  Been to Utah before but BiL was in charge of itinerary and got it completely wrong, spending too much time at the less good places (Park City) and very little time at the good places (discovering Snowbird only on the last day was a kick in the nuts).  This time just me and Mrs BH and we have blown the holiday budget.  BTW trips to SLC are now much easier due to there being a direct LHR to SLC flight.

Next debate is “what skis for….”  Black Crow Serpos look to fit the bill for my mix of groomers and slack country skiing

ads678

Went to Flaine in mid-March this year, it was ok, but one trip over to Samones proved that the lower levels weren’t worth visiting. By the end of the week in Flaine the snow was patchy at the village level and crispy higher up, the groomers did well with what little they had

I went to Samoens in April and conditions were amazing!! It was dumping and we literally had the slopes in Morillon to our selves one day. Top of Flaine was great although it did get slushy at the bottom later on in the week, but I find that fun! I know the season wasn’t great overall but we really got lucky and they could have actually extended the season as it kept snowing for a good month or so after we left, but most had given up by then.

Not going back to Samoens or the grand massive next year though as the lift prices are **** stupid nowadays, It used to be cheap there!…

Monday 1st April 2024, Morillon:

toby1

@ads678 You were lucky! Samones was a muddy field in mid-March.

Kramer
    Free Member

As I’m the sort of person who keeps spreadsheets about what I pay for things, it’s noticeable that the prices for snow sure resorts have gone up significantly this year, whilst the prices for the resorts that were green for most of last year have dropped.

For a few reasons (planning a big bikepacking trip) I’m not sure whether I can afford to ski next year.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Hopefully Chamonix week before Xmas, been last two years and struck lucky on snow, so fingers crossed.  End of Jan Mayerhofen where I have not been for a long time and mid March Morzine both booked already.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Trying to decide. My St Anton bubble was fully burst this year on our February trip. At Christmas the snow was great and I could forgive the lazy bastards not opening Riffelbahn Zwei a couple of days.

But returning in February to find it was actually policy to not bother opening it most days just took the **** piss. IIRC it was about 400 Euros for a 6 day pass and we ended up doing loads of hikes from Riffelbahn I to get the last bits of of fresh.  They’ve got such a **** cheek.

Then the next for days were just minging damp sweaty clag and awful sticky snow.  Unless you’re lucky, local, very flexible, rich or like piste skiing I just don’t think it’s worth it these days.

nbt

Not going back to Samoens or the grand massive next year though as the lift prices are **** stupid nowadays, It used to be cheap there!…

Tip, season passes are half price till October (I think) so if you’re doing two weeks a season pass works out cheaper than a 2 week pass. You also get 3 days in other resorts

nbt

Pre season ending injury in Sainte Foy

6fd4b043-ad38-415c-a1d9-8812859daa95

Tignes in April over on the rarely opened TK3000 in Val d’Isere

IMG_3052IMG_3049We went through the tunnel which I can honestly say I’ve never seen open before. We followed everyone else’s tracks and like everyone else ended up WAY off piste. Great skiing though!

grahamt1980

Back to finland in February.

Not the biggest area but the snow is amazing

tuboflard

Got three trips lined up this year. January long weekend in Chamonix for a friends 50th, then lads long weekend in March (venue TBC so open to suggestions but thinking of Zinal or Crans). And a week in La Plagne with another family over Easter for some sun and easy cruising.

Got a new board (Bataleon) and skis (Elan Ripstick 96) in end of season sales so looking forward to putting some miles in on both. Already tried the board in Deux Alpes at the end of last season in late April and really liked it, first new board in nearly 8 years.

nbt

Got a new board (Bataleon) and skis (Elan Ripstick 96)

Nice! I picke up some skis from Decathlon – bit matchy matchy but Mrs NBT and I are now both on Wedze Patrol 95 skis.

In the UK, they’re £350 flat, so you need to get bindings

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/freeride-free-touring-ski-patrol-95/_/R-p-326186?mc=8590043

But you can pick them up with demo bindings for £350

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/freeride-ski-patrol-95-binding-tyrolia-attack-2-11-at-demo/_/R-p-308573?mc=8548598

In france, we paid €300 per pair with bindings

https://www.decathlon.fr/p/skis-de-freeride-fr-500-patrol-95-w-pack-ski-fixation/_/R-p-308565?mc=8548631

They get good reviews , albeit we’re technically both on the 95W which is a “women’s” version – it’s light blue rather than red, and I’m only 70kg so the 175s are perfect for me, I’ve really enjoyed skiing them

Wed’ze 2021 Ski Test – Chamonix

PlanetSKI Tests The New Wedze Skis From Decathalon

ads678

@ads678 You were lucky! Samones was a muddy field in mid-March.

I know, we were checking the web cams and wondering whether to bother going. I was thinking of taking my bike!

Tip, season passes are half price till October (I think) so if you’re doing two weeks a season pass works out cheaper than a 2 week pass. You also get 3 days in other resorts

Yeah, we pretty much only get a week nowadays with school holidays and stuff so never works out unfortunatley. I did a full season in the Grand Massif in 2007, the season pass cost less than 300 euros! And we got day passes for Chamonix, Morzine/Avoriaz and a few other places incuding Cormayeur*!!

*Cormayeur was shut the day we over there though….

nbt

Shame, Courmayeur is one of my favourite resorts. If they still include it on the season pass, we might even venture over there – but then again there are so many resorts I haven’t yet skiied, like I’ve never been to Chamonix, or the Portes du Soleil!

tuboflard

@blackhat, Snowbird and Brighton are both super. Didn’t do Alta but only because I was on a snowboard at the time. Powder Mountain was also great but read somewhere it’s turning in to a members only kind of resort, which sounds shite IMO.

@nbt
    , Chamonix should be on everyone’s list at least once. Yes, the infrastructure is only now getting some long overdue investment and it’s a bit of a pain to get between lift areas but still a great experience.

I’m currently at 48 different ski resorts at 50 years old, was desperate to get to 50 at 50 so need to start picking off a few new spots hence Crans being an option as not been before.

scaled
    Free Member

This was Flaine mid april 2023

We’re heading back there for new year, we did La Plange last new year and it was ace. Again with UCPA on a family plus week, we tried to get in at La Plange again bit it sold out, fully looking forward to Flaine again though, 4th time back in Grand Massif.

La Plange wasn’t too shabby at all

giant_scum
    Free Member

Annual ski club trip to Zell am See first week of March.

This year we were in la Thuile for the same week, loads of snow but the weather was challenging on a few days.

Other than that hoping for some Scottish ski days!

sprootlet
    Free Member

Flaine in Jan and March for us – dates not entirely confirmed but likely to drive out on a Friday and ? back on a Monday. Looks like March maybe a 2 week trip.

Edukator
    Free Member

Debating whether to join the ski-mountaineering club again after a couple of years doing mainly X-C. All the gear but not sure I want to be teetering on my edges or hanging on an ice axe.

Snow has arrived late and melted early in the Pyrenees for several years now so we’ll probably do a Zoe trip to the Alps at some point. Somewhere around Bourg; Sainte Foy, Tigne or Peisey.

Gear? Apart from my collection of X-C skis the ones that got used most last year were some quite old, very short, very narrow, very light and very straight race touring skis. I’m hoping the conditions this year justify using something a little wider.

BoardinBob

Somewhere in the dolomites at easter is the only thing penciled in at the moment. I ripped the arse out it with 4 trips last winter across Europe but I’ll be scaling it back this season. Supposed to have a surprise 50th  ski weekend somewhere for a mate but his wife is supposed to be organising but we’ve heard nothing. This has reminded me to give her a nudge!

Prices are definitely up on last season though by about 20% although could certainly drop nearer the time

Usual Colorado winter for me. I’ll work at Breck, so I’ll mostly ski the Epic Pass mountains.

TheDTs
    Free Member

We had a cracking trip to Les Coches at easter, lots of fresh snow and quite quiet too. Going back to Les Coches at NY.

Also planning a short trip to Cham with my sister and some mates. My sister has always wanted to do the VB but that’s always a gamble with a short trip. Still as said above its always a great place to go anyway.

We will go again at Easter but that’s TBC. Somewhere big, high and French, I suspect.

ransos
    Free Member

We’re going to Les Arcs for Christmas, had planned to take the train but looking at the prices I think I’ll drive via the tunnel and stop in Troyes. The kids have never had a white Christmas, so we’d better get some snow!

garlando

Driving down for family Christmas in Morzine (big snow gamble) then planning a lads lads lads somewhere in Feb, thinking cervinia or Zermatt.

TheDTs
    Free Member

NY seems frequently less snow sure than Easter. Several bad years at Feb HT as well. I do have a particular dislike of Feb HT. Too busy, too expensive. We did a Serre Che trip in Jan last year and took the hit from the council at home with the fines. We won’t be doing that again as kids will be in exam years now for a while. It was a large family group ours being the only kids so seemed unreasonable to make all the other adults pay HT prices.
    Kit, bought new skis last year so all good for now. Mrsdts could do with new boots but is reluctant to change.  Kids keep growing so will do a try on when we get back from summer holls. EBay here I come!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Zermatt is a Great place for any type of trip. Blooming love Zermatt. Great

scuttler

No plans yet but the Utah trip sounds mint. Cottonwood Canyons are ace! Does Alta still have a no board policy??? I had two weeks there being a ski bum in the 90s following a work trip to Santa Cruz, living in a shitty down town hostel blagging a ride with anyone who had a car. I had a few days with a nutty Norwegian hiking for our thrills. NBA matches and weak beer in the evenings.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Where’s Whotsisnane to tell us how he’s singlehandedly spending the carbon quota of a small African country on his ski travels this year?

Always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside….

tuboflard

Yep, still no snowboarding at Alta @scuttler.

https://www.alta.com/mountain-policy

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

This thread has just cost me! Just booked a week in La Plagne/Les Arcs for early April. Self-drive, self catering, full Paradiski pass, bargain!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Buy your pass on the LaPlagne side it will give you access to the fast queue / queue jump lane on the Les Arcs side? (Well it did last season) it’s a €€’s upgrade on the Les Arcs side

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Yes. Booking the Les Arcs extension was only £15 per person, and then we are spoilt for choice.

susepic

We were in Tignes lelac early March, snow bit slushy in the village in he afternoons, v warm.

I also felt quite a bit busier than same week previously. Thread on snoheads talking about fact that many people bailing on lower resorts and heading higher, and hotel occupancy unusually busy.

Not sure we’ll ski this winter (A levels) but I’d be tempted to book early and high and guarantee snow and a bed. Higher resorts are only going to get busier

tjmoore

On Utah, been many times in the past and snow conditions are generally great or at least there’s enough variety around with a lot of resorts. Cheap option is to stay in SLC and drive to where you want each day. The cottonwood canyons aren’t too far.

Not been for some time though what with Covid and other things, and situation has changed…

Lift ticket prices are now insane!!!

Used to be $30 – $50 a day (not counting Park City which was already silly money, and a bit crap anyway). Now they’re pushing $200 a day!

You can get an entire week with an area pass in Europe for the price of one or two days in an American resort.

Only way I can see for a reasonable deal is buying a season pass, and need to get it about now. They don’t cover all the resorts as they’re scattered across a few major resort chains.

Driving to resorts is getting more complex with a clamp down on congestion by making you book parking or get the bus. Used to be drive up, loads of free parking.

And yeah, Alta and Deer Valley are still stuck up their arse and in the dark ages with ban on snowboards.

Powder Mountain lives up to its name but also a victim of its own success and gone with the exclusive club resort thing in part at least.

The whole American snow scene has turned into a rich playground. Not so bad for weekend trips from a nearby city as they mostly do there, but bad for Europeans making a big trip out there.

ps, yes there are direct flights to SLC now, but they’re not cheap. But from experience, connecting flights risks your bags not getting the connection.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I would absolutely agree, the appeal of a US trip has worn off a bit. The thought of driving each day from SLC especially unattractive option. Each to their own,  of course. Lots of ‘mericans in Zermatt when I was there a couple of years ago likewise Verbier. Epic and Icon passes in hand. I was chatting to one guy on a lift.  One pass for MTB, golf and skiing. Plus option. To use it all over the place. Seems like a great idea if you have the time.

tuboflard

I ended up buying a season pass for a week trip to Tahoe a few years ago, worked out significantly cheaper than buying day tickets. I’m also really tempted by the spring pass offer at Timberline in Oregon, $200 or thereabouts for unlimited days access from around mid March to the end of the season. It’s not a massive ski area but with the Palmer snowfield open it’s enough to keep me busy and the setting is superb.

IMG_3223

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The year of the Icelandic ash cloud disruption, we did a ski-safari in Canada. We flew to Calgary and did 2 days at each of Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Sunshine, Lake Louise, with a single day in Jasper. Almost all of the resorts did a ski’n’stay package, with a 2-day pass and 2 nights accomodation, often B&B or even DB&B. It was great value, but long days, especially when travelling to the next resort after a day on the snow. Not child friendly. IIRC we had to fly home with the skis sticking out of a bike box as we may have picked up a cheap ex-rental DH bike on our travels…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.