Home Forums Bike Forum Would you be worried about buying this due to the dent?

• This topic has 84 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Would you be worried about buying this due to the dent?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/yeti-sb66-frame-alu-small-turqoise-vivid-air-price-drop-700-701#post-5601010

Looking for peoples thoughts.

Quite surprised that someone piped up and stated that people would be worried over the structural integrity of the dent, really?

If I was in the market for a SB66 at that price, even with the dent, I’d be biting their hand off.

Dent wouldn’t put me off one bit, that’s from beating the crap out of BMXs for 15+ years, bike industry for 10+ years, masters in mechanical engineering, now working in aerospace industry.

If it upsets you aesthetically, fair enough, just really surprised it would worry someone structurally.

weeksy

It would stop me from buying it.

iolo
    Free Member

Offer him £300 for a quick sale

Wozza
    Free Member

That’ll be reet. I had a Zaskar from new with a miles bigger dent than that and it went on for 10 years. Shame its a small.

matt_outandabout

There is always another bike out there. I tend to hang out for good ones. A dent and a new rear says to me that it may have had a hard life so far.

weeksy

iolo – Member

Offer him £300 for a quick sale

LOL, it’s his frame !

PiknMix
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch it due to the dent, not unless it way waaaaaaaay cheaper.

nickjb
    Free Member

If I dented my frame like that I’d happily carry on riding it but I wouldn’t be happy buying it pre-dented unless it was dirt cheap.

hora
    Free Member

I had a massive dent in a Enduro frame I bought from another STW’er. He’d ridden it like that for years. I had no problem riding it as I was told by a reliable source ‘under or above tube can equal bad. Side = ok.

I’d ride that frame you linked happily.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Quite surprised that someone piped up and stated that people would be worried over the structural integrity of the dent, really?

Nobody is throwing a hissy fit. Someone just pointed out that your ad started with ‘no dents’. Obviously you stated why after.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What puts me off is that you say in every way the bike has had a hard life (perceived or actual) frame done under warranty, shock done under warranty. Bushings knackered. Hand bike out to mates who don’t look after it.

chakaping

Hasn’t your mate offered to take it off your hands at your asking price?

As others have said, I wouldn’t worry about the dent but I would value the frame closer to £500 or £600 – due to expected difficulty of re-sale.

You might have got your asking price anyway if there wasn’t a new wheelsize knocking about and it wasn’t a fortnight til Xmas though.

Also, your advert and responses do come across a bit stroppy in places, if you don’t mind me saying.

EDIT: And the buyer has to source a mech hanger and another bit to get it running?

:)

haggis1978

Bikes/frames half in value the first year they are ridden and then a further 10% each consecutive year after that. So in good nick for that frame with shock serviced £1k. But that does look like a sizeable dent though, although might just be the camera angle. I’ve not checked out the pinkbike advert. I doubt it would fail but anyone buying a Yeti wants it to look the balls and with a big dent on the top tube, that one doesn’t as it’s right in your face every time you look down. Plus as you’ve mentioned it has had a hard life.

njee20
    Free Member

What puts me off is that you say in every way the bike has had a hard life (perceived or actual) frame done under warranty, shock done under warranty. Bushings knackered. Hand bike out to mates who don’t look after it.

This, and it’s a piss take that you’re not including a mech hanger. Buy a new one if you want to sell.

You saying “it’ll be fine” would do nothing to encourage me either, you have a vested interest in saying that. Starting threads like this also does nothing – you’re just spamming the forum to get some interest.

At the end of the day the people have spoken – it’s not sold. Whether because of the dent, the price, the history or because it’s 10 days before Xmas and people don’t have that money to throw away on themselves.

deanfbm
    Free Member

All interesting responses, always good to get points of view outside your own.

Also, your advert and responses do come across a bit stroppy in places, if you don’t mind me saying.

Yea, it is all leaving me with a little bit of a bad taste.

I realised at time of listing that my expectations and the typical STW buying expectation may not be in sync, growing to realise that are drifting further and further out of sync.

To me bikes are tools, a tool has certain requirements, if something fulfils those requirements (geometry, suspension, structural integrity in this case) then it’s a goer.

It might just have to go to the ebay wolves.

weeksy

deanfbm – Member

All interesting responses, always good to get points of view outside your own.

Yea, it is all leaving me with a little bit of a bad taste.

I realised at time of listing that my expectations and the typical STW buying expectation may not be in sync, growing to realise that are drifting further and further out of sync.

To me bikes are tools, a tool has certain requirements, if something fulfils those requirements (geometry, suspension, structural integrity in this case) then it’s a goer.

It might just have to go to the ebay wolves

Leaving a bad taste because no-one wants to buy your frame ?

Just because you perceive bikes as ‘tools’ to be lobbed on the floor, given to mates and then sold on in a completely unrideable state (mechnhanger) obviously the general STW public doesn’t agree.

If i’m buying a frame I want to know I can have it built and ready to go ASAP, having to source my own mech hanger when it’s you that owns the frame is bordering on the ridiculous.

Personally i’d have to buy 2 hangers as I always have a spare for a frame… so that’s £40 on top straight away.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for it that dent is on the top tube and under compression so not ideal by any stretch whereas if it was under the down tube I would.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think you have a few things up against you; Time of year, dent, small size (albeit a big small, but people don’t check) on paper it looks like a well used example & you’re asking top dollar for it.

I know it’s got a nice shock, but again, it doesn’t add any real value. I’d say it was worth more like £500-600, which sucks. I’d have thought a well worded Ebay ad is probably your best out of it.

This little gem is amazing though:

Bikes/frames half in value the first year they are ridden and then a further 10% each consecutive year after that.

It’s clueless idea’s like this that don’t help. Then he goes & condradicts himself wonderfully in the next sentence.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I would add that “I’m a structural engineer, therefore it will be ok- trust me!” doesn’t have the effect that you think it may have.

Trust me on this.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Still stroppy then. To be honest I can’t see much that has been said that is getting you all moody about.

You come across as a bit arrogant and churlish to be honest.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That’s the thing dean. I think most people on STW/or those that buy a yeti, just want something that looks nice for pootling round swinley forest or wherever they ride. In this instance, that dent and the off colour rear won’t be helping.

Ebay is probably a good bet, maybe after xmas now though. Just stick it on for seven days with no reserve and see what you get. If it’s not looking good, just get a few mates to bid on it :wink:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Plus comments like this:

now working in aerospace industry.

mean jack sh*t to people. You could be an air steward…

njee20
    Free Member

This little gem is amazing though:

Bikes/frames half in value the first year they are ridden and then a further 10% each consecutive year after that.
    It’s clueless idea’s like this that don’t help. Then he goes & condradicts himself wonderfully in the next sentence.

[/quote]

But that is the rule of thumb, don’t totally agree, but it’s not a million miles off, and how does he contradict himself?

OP – if you know what the STW buyers want why don’t you tailor your advert to suit? Rather than whinging that you have different requirements, and then that it doesn’t sell?

chiefgrooveguru

The SB66 is a great frame but it isn’t all that rare and most people don’t ride them as hard as you do. And they’re known for breaking… Sell it somewhere where people don’t know how hard you’ve been ragging it. As you have an engineering degree you should know that alu alloy frames start fatiguing as soon as you start riding them and the harder you ride them the more quickly you’ll exceed the cumulative limit.

I too see bikes more as tools than anything more special than that. But I don’t expect to sell them secondhand for decent money. One could point out that you’re fulfilling the engineer stereotype of not really understanding people… :P

chakaping

you’re just spamming the forum to get some interest.

To be fair to dean, he’s a regular forum user and must know that these kind of threads usually see the seller ripped to shreds and told his bike is worth toss all.

DezB
    Free Member

I realised at time of listing that my expectations and the typical STW buying expectation may not be in sync, growing to realise that are drifting further and further out of sync

Oh, you mean mountain bikers?
    Ebay’s the place to do your selling then. Plenty like you on there!

deanfbm
    Free Member

One could point out that you’re fulfilling the engineer stereotype of not really understanding people…

:wink:

Lessons learnt here people.

Too easy to fall into the trap of being a keyboard warrior.

Buyers market and all that.

Bitter pill reference – clash of culture, what I feel is correct vs what others feel is correct here.

I’m trying to get money though, so it’s the market who is right in this instance.

Didn’t know mech hanger would be an issue either. My mind would say a mech hanger won’t take any longer to arrive than the frame, so no delays in building, but that’s just my mind.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

But that is the rule of thumb, don’t totally agree, but it’s not a million miles off, and how does he contradict himself?

In what reality? Mainstream tat maybe. I don’t think i’ve seen any ‘premium’ brand frame selling at 40% of its value after 2 years. Even 2 year old Orange 5’s still go for well over 50% of their SRP.

He suggests the ‘golden calculation’ and then reckons it’s worth a grand. It’s a 2 year old frame, that had an RRP of £1899. You do the maths if it’s accepted selling formula ;)

haggis1978

So how any I clueless HobNob? If a bike is a 2012 model and cost £2k new then that’s £1k now. What’s wrong with that? I’m pretty sure I’ve bought, sold and built more bikes than you have.

Just read your reply and no not just mainstream tat. As you’ve already been told, I’m not a million miles off.

haggis1978

If it’s been ridden the way a mountainbike should be and has been taken care of then yes around 40% prime example is the Turner Flux in the classifieds right now.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

50%, then 10% a year. Unless it’s 50% until 31st December then loses another 10% overnight…

Well, using that guide, I must have been selling all my old bike for way too much money. Fell sorry for the buyers now. Must have ripped them all off :(

chiefgrooveguru

Just like cars, bikes must depreciate due to age AND condition/usage. How many big drops and gaps has it ridden? How many landings has it cased? One of my mates jumps relatively big stuff and I wouldn’t buy a frame off him – and funnily enough he just snapped his rear triangle on his 160mm full-sus. Even a middling skill regular rider like me is going to have given a frame a lot more of a beating than most!

haggis1978

10% of the 50%

I’ll do the math for you
    £2k frame
    £1k after first year
    £900 second year
    £810 the next

GEDA
    Free Member

Sorry for commenting. I also have got to sell a frame and I would not want loads of people bitching about it when I posted it up. I only thought it was a bit comic that you stated no dents and then the next picture showed a dent in the frame. Understand it was a copy paste error. I am sure you will sell it to the right person at the right price. I bought a new Nukeproof Mega AM frame instead of going the usual secondhand route this time. I bought that as I do not want to case my prophet trying out bigger drops and jumps.

richmtb

To be fair the ad does come across as though you are rather grudgingly offering your frame to an undeserving public!

“I know how pedantic you lot are…”

Ebay is less hassle and has fewer time wasters and you have a bit more protection from the charlatans. Just stick it on there instead, it will cost you 10% of the final selling price mind you but that’s the price you pay for a quick hassle free sale.

Oh and get a mech hanger

njee20
    Free Member

Well, using that guide, I must have been selling all my old bike for way too much money. Fell sorry for the buyers now. Must have ripped them all off

Get over yourself. It’s a bit of a guide for the value of things. I’d also pitch higher, but it’s a starting point.

To be fair to dean, he’s a regular forum user and must know that these kind of threads usually see the seller ripped to shreds and told his bike is worth toss all.

I realise that – but he could have posted the picture, rather than linking directly to the classified ad. There’s a classified forum, a discussion is taking place there. It doesn’t need reposting in other places. Just annoys me that sort of thing.

justinbieber

It’s a dent, and if it was your own frame you’d keep riding it.

Unfortunately, Yeti have recently slashed the prices on the all aluminium SB66 frames – you can get them for £1400 from various places, and the new alu version has a carbon rear end, which means that the value of second hand ones has fallen through the floor.

I reckon it’s a combination of the above and that it’s a week before Christmas, not just the dent which means it’s not selling.

Superficial
    Free Member

As a bit of defense for Dean: the dent wouldn’t really bother me, although I’d expect some cash off. Likewise the fact that it’s had a hard life would mean the price would have to be more negotiable. But if that was a large (and came with a hanger!) then I’d buy it.

bigjim

I think the keyboard warriors are being a bit harsh.

I think some more info might help alleviate any fears that the frame has been thrashed, eg why was the rear replaced and why was the shock warrantied. Also what caused the dent in the top tube – knee, bars, or rock? My only concern would be if the tube was bent as well as the dent which you can’t tell from the photo really.

For example my rear shock was serviced under warranty, due to a manufacturing fault, so that would give no issues to worry about in terms of it being thrashed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Personally no I would’t consider it with the dent at half the asking price. Plus given what @justin says above regarding the availability of new frames why would you buy this one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Would you be worried about buying this due to the dent?’ is closed to new replies.