• This topic has 84 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Would you be worried about buying this due to the dent?
  • wwaswas

tbh, I think this thread has killed any chance of selling it for the asking price on here – too many questions/observations. Try ebay with a reserve maybe?

nuke

Was actually considering the frame when it came up on the classifieds but it does look look/sound like its had a hard life. Dent aside, the photo of the dent in the link also shows half the cable guide has been ‘sawn’ off by a gear/brake cable

wwaswas

the marks at the top of the dent look worryingly close to being creases too?

iolo
    Free Member

Your mate rode it. He broke it. He pays. Stick it on eBay for £300 and he makes up the difference.
    Or get it written off by lbs (it looks like that) and get onto your insurance.
    All you need to know is this is not the first and definitively not the last yeti to break. It’s probably cracked elsewhere if you look closely.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wwaswas’s posting that picture says the frame is worth nothing. It’s a tough market out there and these are “damaged goods”.

weeksy

I have to agree, if i’d seen that pic, I doubt we’d have even made 5 posts in the thread.

bigjim

Is that a crack in the frame/paint or the sticker?

Top tube gives the impression of being bent but could just be a combination of the camera angle and curved tube.

I do know someone looking for a small frame like this, so not trolling btw.

AlexSimon

That pic makes it look bad, but the others on pinkbike make it look completely trivial.

As others have mentioned though – just the general hard life would put me off.

What I would do is take some better shots (ones that show it exactly but don’t make it look worse than it is), make a really honest description (without the aerospace stuff), say inspection welcome, etc and be a little more patient.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dont know if its been said but your best bet is to split it up – sell the rear and, the linkages and the shock separate- and the mainframe for scrap as that’s what it is.

If its your bike you continue riding it and be proud of your battle damage (like a war wound)…. but your not going to buy it like that. Who wants someone else’s battle damage! when you buy yourself a new toy like that you want it be perfect (or only cosmetics if second hand). Otherwise you would just be looking sadly at it all the time wishing you saved up for a little longer.

deanfbm
    Free Member

That picture isn’t a fair portrayal of the dent. I literally did not find it until I was stripping down the bike, ran my finger along the TT and felt a dip.

I think the appearance of a crease is due to light/angle/tube curvature etc.

I think I’m going to get some better pictures of dent, a rule up against it from various angles just to show how square or out of square everything is.

I’m really quite surprised how put off people are by this, but you learn.

As I say, I buy based on performance, in my mind, performance has not been compromised, comes with a shock that really does make the bike so much better, but hey ho, people want different things from bikes.

Something like the paint wear on the guides, that’s a zero issue to me, the guides are there to hold the cables and to protect the frame, the paint damage is hidden by the cables.

weeksy

in my mind, performance has not been compromised

You’re not the one buying it fella… you’re the one trying to sell it… Your opinion on it’s structural integrity is irrelevent

wwaswas

in my mind, performance has not been compromised

but as a prospective buyer it’s very difficult to be as sure that the long term viability of the frame is unaffected.

Maybe it’s like advertising a car with a dent in the wing. Performance unaffected but it’ll impact the price because it introduces doubt in the buyers mind.

franksinatra

As I say, I buy based on performance,

How do you do that then when buying through classifieds as all you have to go on are descriptions, pictures and gut feeling

weeksy

dent in the wing. Performance unaffected but it’ll impact the price because it introduces doubt in the buyers mind.

The wing doesn’t add any structural integrity… it’s more like seeing a dent in a chasis.

mrhoppy

If it’s not that bad you really need a photo directly down the top tube because that looks like its bent out to the side as well as dented.

deanfbm
    Free Member

How do you do that then when buying through classifieds as all you have to go on are descriptions, pictures and gut feeling

Bit of an odd statement. Isn’t the performance of something the same regardless of being new or second hand, assuming everything is functioning and has been maintained correctly?

An old frame is going to perform just the same as a new one.

It was also presumptuous of me that when something is stated as replaced under warranty, that prior to failure, the product was used in a manner within the realms of what is expected, and that any repairs carried out is the manufacturer accepting liability that they messed up during manufacture of said product. This implies that the product was not manufactured to design specification (or there’s a big problem they’re hiding) not that the product was used outside its intention.

/keyboard warrior mode for a bit. It’s really hard to control.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

MTB frame in hard life shocker. Who’d have guessed it?

pinetree
    Free Member

@Deanfbm:
    Have you contacted Silverfish about a crash replacement price on the front end?

IIRC the back end is the same on all the models, so if you wanted to get a medium front end, I’m sure they’d hook you up.
    You’re saying that the reason for sale is that it’s too short, why not try and do that?

Damn sight easier to sell a medium than a small anyway, when the time comes to move it on…

franksinatra

An old frame is going to perform just the same as a new one.

Not if it breaks

deviant
    Free Member

Mountain bikers do make me laugh sometimes…and i include myself in that statement!

Comments like ‘i wouldnt buy as it looks like its had a generally hard life’…..erm yes, its a mountain bike and it will have been designed and built for that purpose….hopefully.

Although the comments about Yetis cracking on a regular basis would put me off the brand entirely rather than this particular model, if a supposedly good manufacturer has a reputation for frames that break then surely they’re not fit for purpose in general?…in which case how does a firm like Yeti get to command high prices for their frames?….bizarre.

As somebody else alluded to, a lot of ‘mountain’ bikes get wheeled out around Swinley once a week and polished to within an inch of their lives.
    There comes a point when people should admit they bought for fashion reasons or that perhaps they overspent and are now worried about damaging a bike that cost thousands.

I’ve been there with Motorcycles, to the point that i wouldnt ride the bloody thing if there was a cloud in the sky and the slightest chance of rain.
    It was ridiculous and detracted from my enjoyment of riding motorbikes….to an extent it was similar with my last FS mountain bike too.
    The solution?….life is too short, with my 30s coming to an end and riding time (both mountain bikes and motorbikes) increasingly precious i decided to downgrade both the bikes….the end result is i now have a mountain bike i can happily put away dirty and not feel guilty for doing so and also rag the arse off it knowing that i wont cry if it gets dented and wont cost the earth to replace if the damage is terminal.

I agree with the OP’s sentiment, bikes are tools that allow you to enjoy the hobby which is riding….but bizarrely we get hung up on the tool itself!….a great, blingy and expensive bike on a crappy trail will result in a boring ride but a cheap bike (perhaps second hand, maybe end of year clearance, damaged stock etc) on a great trail will result in an enjoyable ride….its not the bike, its the trail….we know this which is why holidays in Canada, the Alps etc are so popular as terrain like that is hard to come by on these shores….and yet the irrational part of us always puts far more importance than is necessary on the tool required for the job….i.e this new squash racquet will make me a better player, no it wont….increased fitness and skills coaching will do.

The same is true for mountain biking and most sports to be fair….companies know this which is why advertising works and marketing budgets are huge, we are easily lured by the new and shiny.

citizenlee
    Free Member

If I was in the market I wouldn’t let it put me off, especially as you said you’re prepared to offer a refund if it does go kaput.

I think people are just being bitchy as they’ll never own a Yeti 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

Your ad would put me off.

Paint work shows sign of use, no significant scratches IMO, but i know how pedantic some people can be, if you really insist i can get more pictures of all marks.

If I really insist? Sorry you’ve lost me as a buyer straight away.

Rear triangle is a warranty replacement, so again if you’re pedantic, it is a slightly darker turqoise than the front triangle.

Pedantic, nice. Even if I was interested I’m not going to bother to send you an email.

Rear shock has just been serviced and rebuilt under warranty. It really transforms the bike, none of that fox boost valve harshness then wallow then bottom out, just consistent, predictable use if travel.

Couldn’t give a toss about what you think of fox, only that the new shock is tuned to fit the bike.

Getting rid because it really is just about too small for me, im 5ft 10. I refuse to run a longer stem than 50mm, with a 70mm stem it would be perfect for me, but would ruin the handling for me.

I don’t give a monkeys that it’s too small for you or that you refuse to run a longer stem or that you like the colour green and drink PG tips. By this point the ad has turned into a bit of a joke.

I must iterate if used as a trail bike, seated most of the time, the bike has an eff tt bigger than any other small, the size of most mediums, it’s the standing length which is small (but still on the small to med size).

How is this useful? Put the actual length of the TT

Requires switch link bump stop (£2.95) and mech hanger (cant find my spare).

I have to find my own mech hanger?

Reason for price drop – friend rode it, hit a gap blind and put a dent in the TT.

Ah the icing on the cake

If you’re are seriously interested, talk to me about price if it feels steep.

After that ad, yes it feels steep.

Basically your add is total shite. Take out all of this and only put the facts about the frame and the price. Then you might get a buyer.

citizenlee
    Free Member

@kudos100 Feel better for getting that off your chest? It’s already been said countless times and the OP has since responded to most points and accepts his original ad may not have been ideal. No need to keep kicking a man when he’s down.

ianv
    Free Member

FWIW, I am looking for a small bike for my son and clicked on the original ad. Now I am not a tart when it comes to bikes and my stinky has a way bigger dent that that in the top tube but, my initial reaction was that you were having a laugh with the price and clicked away.

Its too expensive and there are comparable frames out there cheaper and not damaged so what is a buyer going to do? No amount of sniping is going to change the fact that the market has decided its not a good deal.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m really quite surprised how put off people are by this

Really? its not just a bit of cosmetic paint scuffing, its a dent in a tube. If it happened to one of my bikes I’d be gutted, and I’d expect the frame to be unsellable. I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole unless it was being given sway. Why buy damaged goods when there will be better examples around?

I think people are just being bitchy as they’ll never own a Yeti

or have seen how reduced Yetis are regularly sold for, which hammers the value of a used bike, even one that isnt damaged? oh sorry, smiley face 🙂

from a PSA a month ago…

http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/2013-yeti-clearance-c-8365.html

DezB
    Free Member

the comments about Yetis cracking on a regular basis

Yes, my 2006 Yeti has cracked on a regular basis.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Whatever the reasons, I don’t really care, but the level of snark on here is uncalled for. Saying that, I don’t know why I expected any different as STW is famous for it. Happy face 🙂

weeksy

He asked…. the forum answered…

If you don’t want to know the answer to why your frame isn’t selling….

Don’t ask the question.

I could start a thread about why no-one has bought my Spearfish …. But… it’s not dented… so I don’t know.

Maybe it’s the puke blue forks.

llama

Take some quality photos of the frame stripped down

Take photos of the dent that do not make it look like the TT is bent

Get a stop and a mech hanger

Get the bearings replaced

Wait until spring

Then you might get near to that price if you are very very very lucky

kudos100
    Free Member

@kudos100 Feel better for getting that off your chest? It’s already been said countless times and the OP has since responded to most points and accepts his original ad may not have been ideal. No need to keep kicking a man when he’s down.

Op asked a question, I gave the reasons why I would be put off. Wasn’t trying to kick him while he was down.

If you want to sell something it helps if you don’t alienate potential buyers throughout your ad.

Edit: I realise my reply was not the most constructive. I felt the Op needed a reality check about the ad, but could have read the previous comments more closely.

bigjim

from a PSA a month ago…

those SB66 frames are twice the price of this one? Or am I missing something.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

those SB66 frames are twice the price of this one? Or am I missing something

Obviously.

1) they are new

2) If you’d read my post it would have been clear (given the quote I included) I was replying to another poster who said people posting here were bitter because they couldnt afford Yetis

3) regarding the OP, he’s suggesting 700 quid is good value for a used, damaged frame because it retails new for £2K. My point is that the frame can be had new for £1389, which makes the OPs frame half the price of a brand new one. Which isnt good value.

llama

Frame 700
    Stop + hanger 35
    Bearing kit 110 (unfitted)

= 845

And its still got a dent and a colour mismatch

Fact is you can get something similar in much better nick for that

deviant
    Free Member

Frame 700
    Stop + hanger 35
    Bearing kit 110 (unfitted)

= 845

And its still got a dent and a colour mismatch

Fact is you can get something similar in much better nick for that

Thats the crux of the matter, its a lot of money (irrespective of the original RRP) for something very much second hand and damaged….you can buy new stuff that is just as good if not better for that money.

With that kind of damage and a few niggling problems to sort out, the price needs to grab people’s attention as a bit of a bargain….£250 and tell your mate he’ll be buying the beers for the forseeable future.

fasthaggis

tell your mate he’ll be buying the beers for the forseeable future.

You break it ,you buy it 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Just send him a link to this thread if you’re not keen on broaching the subject with your mate.

iolo
    Free Member

The damage is not a dent. A dent is caused when something impacts the metal.
    What you have there is a fold where the impact forces have caused a deflection in the frame causing the damage shown. Who knows what other damage has happened.

asterix
    Free Member

reckon iolo and wwaswas are right, looks like deformation / fold rather than a dent. Not sure if it suggests there must be more deformation elsewhere on the main triangle?

as to value, the depreciation formulas are one thing but then you need to reduce the price even more for the damage

bails

This spring I paid £750 for a near immaculate and very well looked after ASR5 with carbon rear end, Hope headset, Salsa seatclamp and Syntace seatpost. Oh, and a mech hanger. I know it’s an older model than this, but no-one had tried (and ever so slightly managed) to fold it in half on a jump.

If I was considering buying something like that I’d want several decent photos showing the depth, length etc of the ‘dent’ and some with a ruler alongside it to show that the frame was still straight.

An internet pinky promise of ‘I’ll give you your money back if it fails’ isn’t all that reliable. You might genuinely mean it, but I don’t know that you won’t vanish as soon as I’m out of hospital after attempting another gap jump on it 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

having gone back and looked at the pic on page 2 posted by wwaswas, I’d have to ‘fourth’ the feeling that is more of a bend than a dent.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Would you be worried about buying this due to the dent?’ is closed to new replies.