Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Why won't my phone stay logged into STW?
  • dawson

Having to log in every time to get rid of ads is annoying.

Google chrome on Android

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Double whammy

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Have you got it set to clear cookies on exit?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do you tick the “keep me logged in” box when you log in ?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^
    That. Feature. Doesn’t. Work. Correctly.

I don’t know when this will sink in around here.

dawson

Yes, I put the tick in the box but doesn’t make any difference.

Will check cookies

dawson

Cookies are set to ‘allowed’

Stoner
    Free Member

I reboot my phone at least once a day (because, reasons) and every time I open stw afterwards I have to login again.

“remember me” is up there with other top promises like “of course I love you” and “this won’t hurt”.

hammyuk
    Free Member

When will someone actually realise this?
    Doesn’t matter how many times it comes up – the standard answer is trotted out….
    There is something wrong with either the software or the monkeys programming it!

scotroutes

Strangely enough, it works fine for me – and on any browser/OS/device.

Drac

It’s a very odd thing though as I never have that issue on any of my devices.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Does this for me too. Always has.

Trimix
    Free Member

I get logged out on my PC at work and at home and on my laptop. Happens regularly. All set to “keep me logged in”. Bloody annoying.

MoreCashThanDash

Happens on all our phones, PCs, laptops and tablets. Have to log in every 3-4 weeks, or whenever MrsMC decides to clear her browsing history and delete all cookies.

Something about “life being too short”…?

scotroutes

every 3-4 weeks

Yep. Same as many other sites.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Strange that Scot – NONE of the other sites I use log me out unless I log out myself.
    Especially the ones where I tick the “remember me” or “stay logged in” box…..
    It’s definitely a backend issue for the number of users who are getting it – someone needs to take a good look at the settings in the software and sort it.
    Although – as its pointed out on the front page (and the classifieds, etc) “this forum is provided free of charge” so I’m guessing they aren’t that bothered about fixing it….

Be interesting to know just how many users/subscribers came to the Mag through the forum and how many to the forum through the Mag?

It was the former for me and many I know on here.

cp

Something about “life being too short”…?

to be fair, logging into this site on a mobile device is painful – ads take up a lot of processing power if they aren’t already taking over the whole screen and it’s often hard work just to get the text into the right boxes to log in… and the last thing to load on the page… the login box. tiny, in a corner surrounded by ads.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

to be fair, logging into this site on a mobile device is painful

This. “Remember me” my arse.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Works sometimes on my iPad, never seems to work on my phone.

Trimix
    Free Member

I know the Ads make the forum free – and its a great forum.

But whenever I get issues with the site for me its due to the Ads causing problems. So now I associate issues with certain Ads.

Which is bad news for those advertisers.

I also never click on them anyway. I’ve always wondered how much revenue an advertiser gets directly from its Ads on Forum sites.

njee20
    Free Member

I have to log in about once every couple of weeks. On mobile it’s possibly related to turning phone off and on. Doesn’t bother me.

Drac

There is a log out period of around 4 weeks IIRC which is normal but not for every time you visit.

Cougar

to be fair, logging into this site on a mobile device is painful

Bookmark this as your start page:

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum/

It’ll take you to the forum if you’re logged in, and an advert-free sign-in page if you aren’t.

It’s definitely a backend issue for the number of users who are getting it

It’s definitely not a backend issue for the number of users who aren’t getting it.

Some people report that it happens “regularly,” which might seem like confirmation but isn’t actually all that informative. Christmas happens regularly.

I get logged out once every few weeks. I believe that’s the same for most people. The cause isn’t clear to me, I’d guess either a cookie timing out or some form of site maintenance going on. If your “regularly” is every time you visit, then (assuming you visit more than once a month) there’s something curious going on with your browser.

Stoner
    Free Member

every time I reboot my phone, I need to re-log in.

Seemingly, having done that I also need to re-log in to the one or both of the chromebooks as well and to the tablet. (Ive just had to log in to my chromebox, having just logged into my phone this morning)

I use Cougar’s “obviously the code is crap, but here’s a workaround because we cant be arsed to fix it and surely it’s your hardware’s fault because Onion doesnt have any problems….” link so that I dont have to endure ad-loading before I can log in to premier view.

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=/forum/

hammyuk
    Free Member

Cougar – sorry but bollocks
    You only have to look at the number of times this comes up to realise it is not a user/browser issue.
    Just to be clear – at this end it does it on the Macbook, iPhone, iPad, Windows laptop and PC across every browser I’ve tried.
    If it was just the “4 week” thing then we wouldn’t be on here telling you about it would we…..

gary

That. Feature. Doesn’t. Work. Correctly.
    I don’t know when this will sink in around here.

This.

It’s definitely not a backend issue for the number of users who aren’t getting it.

It can still be a back end issue, even if it works for lots of people. It just means that some assumptions in the back end logic aren’t universally valid for all browser/OS/whatever combinations.

Here’s the last thread I got sucked into on this, 7 months ago. Still getting logged out on a less than weekly basis on multiple systems. Still seems like some kind of session tracking issue to me.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-please-stop-logging-me-out/page/3

Cougar

It can still be a back end issue, even if it works for lots of people. It just means that some assumptions in the back end logic aren’t universally valid for all browser/OS/whatever combinations.

True. So what’s different between my configuration and Grumpytrousers’ up there?

obviously the code is crap, but here’s a workaround because we cant be arsed to fix it

I don’t have access to the codebase so can’t fix it irrespective of any degrees of arsedness. That “workaround” link isn’t any sort of official solution, it’s just something I tripped over.

Drac

You only have to look at the number of times this comes up to realise it is not a user/browser issue.
    Just to be clear – at this end it does it on the Macbook, iPhone, iPad, Windows laptop and PC across every browser I’ve tried.

About every 6 months. Just to be clear – at this end it doesn’t do it on the MacBook, iPhones, iPad, Windows laptop and PC on a variety of browsers I’ve tried.

Can you see why it’s not easy to find the issue?

squirrelking
    Free Member

every 3-4 weeks

Lucky git, I’m doing well if I get 3-4 hours.

Can you see why it’s not easy to find the issue?

Yes. Can you not see how it would be easy to fix?

(clue: new software that isn’t bugged out crap)

And x2 for ads crashing the browser, Windows Phone does not like this place.

Cougar

every time I reboot my phone, I need to re-log in.

Seemingly, having done that I also need to re-log in to the one or both of the chromebooks as well and to the tablet. (Ive just had to log in to my chromebox, having just logged into my phone this morning)

I thought you might be onto something there, so I’ve just tried it. Rebooted my (Android) phone, opened up Chrome, still logged in. So it’s not that (in isolation anyway).

I wonder, is the common denominator here perhaps people rebooting iPhones? Those who don’t have an iDevice or those who do but leave theirs switched on overnight aren’t affected?

Drac

I wonder, is the common denominator here perhaps people rebooting iPhones? Those who don’t have an iDevice or those who do but leave theirs switched on overnight aren’t affected?

Hold on I’ve 3 Apple devices with me now I’ll give it ago.

Yes. Can you not see how it would be easy to fix?

(clue: new software that isn’t bugged out crap)

You’re suggesting changing the whole software for an issue that only effects a few users?

Cougar

I’ve got a Windows phone here too, I can test on that.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Happens to me on two Sony Xperias, regardless of reboot or not.

Drac, I don’t think your attitude is helpful. It would be easier to admit there’s a problem (FWIW it doesn’t especially bother me) and say you’ll pass it on the STW internet bod who’ll look into it than say “well, it’s fine for me” repeatedly.

Drac

Still logged in with iPhone.

I’m providing feedback thanks and testing it too, we’ve reported it every time it pops up.

Stoner
    Free Member

it could be coincidental that the chromebook needing re-logging in having got to the 3-4wk cut off.

However, my android (phone 5.1 build) will ALWAYS require re-logging in on reboot.

Im just going to see if the same happens with my android tablet.

Drac

Rebooted my iPad Pro and still logged in both use Safari.

I forgot my other iPhone isn’t linked to my keychain so I can login at all with that one as I’ve no idea what my password is.

Stoner
    Free Member

just tested my tablet.

The first time, I left the browser on STW, then rebooted. The browser re-opens on STW, logged in.

The second time, I left the browser on another site, then rebooted. The browser reopened on the other site. On going to STW, I had to re-log in.

So that got me thinking…

I log in to STW, then go to another site. With that site running, I force close the chrome session and relaunch chrome browser. Browser opens in the “other site”. I go to STW and I have to re-log in again.

To corroborate, I log in to STW, force close the browser session with STW as last site, reopen chrome browser, and I am logged in.

In all of this I have not touched the Cache.

So, in summary, the STW session cookie is not being stored/operating correctly unless it is running on browser session close.

Cougar – see if you can recreate that on your android device. I doubt iDevice does it the same way, but someone might want to try.

Drac

Thanks Stoner that’s appreciated.

Ok I’ve simulated the above on my iPhone and still stay logged in.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m not rebooting any of my devices here either and the issue happens regardless Cougar.
    How can I be Grumpypants if I’m not wearing any?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have experienced this problem on Mac, Windows 7, Windows Mobile 8, Linux, Android 2-6, Chrome, FireFox, Android Browser, Chrome OS, Cellular network, Cable Modems, Phoneline connections, in the UK and the Netherlands.

I really don’t think it’s us, it’s either your software or some user accounts that are the problem.

Yeah it’s not the end of the world, but it’s really annoying. Especially when you have a very slow internet connection* – I want to use the forum as it’s mostly text, but then it logs out and makes me wait some considerable time to load the page.

*This isn’t your problem, but it makes it more annoying.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Why won't my phone stay logged into STW?’ is closed to new replies.