Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Why won't my phone stay logged into STW?
  • Cougar

Cougar – see if you can recreate that on your android device.

Nicely. You’re definitely on the right tracks here. Rebooting with STW open as a browser tab doesn’t log me out; if I close the STW tab and then reboot I get kicked. Experimenting…

gary

I wonder, is the common denominator here perhaps people rebooting iPhones? Those who don’t have an iDevice or those who do but leave theirs switched on overnight aren’t affected?

No apple devices here. And in fact, in the same browser (Firefox, Windows Server 2008) as I posted my earlier reply from I’ve just had to log in again to post this.

Browser hasn’t been closed/restated/whatever, but I’ve been in and out of the site a couple of times. As per the other thread I linked, and Stoner’s observation above, my money is on something fragile in session tracking.

fatmax

Every week or two at most – using Chrome on an Android phone, and using IE and Chrome on the laptop. All log out on that frequency. Admittedly a first world problem, but still a pain in the arse. Doesn’t happen on Ebay, Wiggle, work related sites etc.

franksinatra

Chrome on Android here and I have to log in every time I open STW, irrespective of whether I have rebooted or not.

sc-xc

I’ll just chime in.

With me (iPhone) it is several times a day. I just don’t bother logging in any more unless I want to post.

I also agree with this…

to be fair, logging into this site on a mobile device is painful – ads take up a lot of processing power if they aren’t already taking over the whole screen and it’s often hard work just to get the text into the right boxes to log in… and the last thing to load on the page… the login box. tiny, in a corner surrounded by ads.

It’s fine on any of my work devices (laptop, surface, desktop).

bikebouy
    Free Member

I raise this issue about 2 years ago..

Still get booted out every 3-4 weeks and was told it wasn’t STW doing the selfish deed.

Also during that escapade loads of folk replied “yer, me too” Mods replied “not us mate, been logged in for centuries, can’t see what the fuss is about”

Has been happening on all devices, iphone6s, iPad Air, MacAir … Blah di blah 🙄

Drac

Also during that escapade loads of folk replied “yer, me too” Mods replied “not us mate, been logged in for centuries, can’t see what the fuss is about

Then we did some testing too, reported to the tech guys who tried a few things and like wise couldn’t replicate the issue so it’s proving hard to locate.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well it’s still happening and thankfully I’m not the only one it happens too otherwise I’d feel a right dick.

As is, you kinda get used to it. It’s a pain, probably a mix of issues and to be honest I only get really angsty when logging in from my phone as the page takes about 16 years to load then the “login” at the top of the page is soooooooooo tiny the Adz cover it, then you have to expand the page with yer thumbs then all the sodding Adz expand also making it a lot harder to scroll past without clicking on an Adz.

I’ll just chuck a rolling eyes emoticon here for you’s 🙄

Drac

It must be a right pain when it happens but it’s not being ignored.

weeksy

The login issue is horrible around here… but I refuse to pay for the site again after being banned for a fairly innocuous comment around Xmas…

But without the P, the forum is painful !

Cougar

Well it’s still happening and thankfully I’m not the only one it happens too otherwise I’d feel a right dick.

I think we’re at angry dolphins here.

No-one is disputing that it happens every few weeks. A few people are complaining that it’s happening to them much more often than that. That’s the issue we’ve been trying to get to the bottom of, and thus far it’s been challenging as we’ve been unable to replicate it. If we can’t replicate it, we can’t fix it (and if we can replicate it we still can’t fix it, but we can at least pass on the info to those that can).

The info from Stoner has been the first useful lead in ages. Many problem reports are of the “it’s broken / you’re all shit / I was going to buy a subscription but I’m not now / I don’t like your attitude” variety, which is fine and all as not everyone is technical, but it doesn’t really get us any closer to a solution. But until we get someone technical in the same place as a reliably replicatable fault we’re at a bit of an impasse.

And your wah wah adverts issue is a non-issue as it’s easily worked around, it’s been mentioned at least twice on this thread. And yes I know it shouldn’t be necessary but a minor bug isn’t going to be high on a webdev’s priority list.

STATO
    Free Member

I think longest ive managed was a week, but that was with the computer left on and probably not closing the browser (but leaving the site). All other times since the great hack of ’08(?) ive never managed more than a 24hr period at most, thats with a range of browsers, home and work devices etc. that youd expect someone to go through over a number of years. Thats why ive never bothered with a ‘P’ as id have to faff with the crappy login access every time.

Cougar

I refuse to pay for the site again after being banned for a fairly innocuous comment around Xmas…

An admirable play for sympathy over your injustice, but if you think “transgenderravingfaggotworld” is fairly innocuous I’d hate to see what you’d come up with when trying to be offensive.

bigblackshed

I’ve raised this a few times and had the rebuttal of “it doesn’t happen here”. Tried the bookmark of the ad free login page, which works after waiting for the ad covered content page to start loading after being logged out, then going “oh, logged out yet again”. But the ad free login page never remembers my details, even with the remember me box ticked.

This is on iOS, OSX, on MAC, iPhone, iPad, all running the latest software. Also happens, but with less frequency, on android running 5.1.

When I say logged out, I mean every time I browse the site. I can login, open the forum on overview, open a couple of threads in new tabs, read one, maybe comment, get logged out whilst hitting the send button. Log back in, I’ve now taken to copying the text I just typed so I can just paste it in to the reply box, then try send again. Go to the second tab and find I’m logged out.

The next time I might be able to browse a few threads, bang logged out again, even worse the iPad stalls on loading, requiring me to double tap the home button, quit Safari, reopen and then login again.

At least the Mac remembers my login details on Keychain, both the iPhone and iPad don’t even with the data in keychain and remembered sites.

No other website has these issues. Other forums I use logout about once every 2-4 weeks. STW 4-5 times a day.

(Now copying this text just in case I’m logged out on sending)

bigblackshed

I didn’t get logged out. I was holding my breath.

Cougar

I’ve just had another play with this on the back of Gary’s post on the previous page.

I noticed that I get three cookies set by the site. WordPress_test, wordpress_[biglongnumber] and wordpress_logged_in_[biglongnumber]. I’ve experimented with deleting them; removing wordpress_ logs me out, and removing wordpress_logged_in_ seems to break the admin panel.

But.

These were all set as ‘session’ cookies, temporary ones if you like. I thought to myself, “self,” I thought, “that’s not right.” Comparing with another WP site, I can see that both STW and my own site set proper cookies with expiry dates if “Remember Me” is checked and session cookies if not.

I know this flies in the face of popular belief that the ‘remember me’ does nothing, but it clearly does, I’ve just watched it do it. I’m looking at a cookie with an expiry date 10 days from now.

So, two things. Firstly, even if you’re convinced it doesn’t work, always tick the ‘remember’ option. Secondly, I’m curious to know what happens to these cookies on a symptomatic device. Any takers? (I’m not sure offhand how to check on my phone, will have to look into it.)

franksinatra

I posted earlier today (it says up there 7 hours ago) Just hit the STW bookmark on my phone homescreen (android/chrome and it took 18 seconds to get STW up and with log in button visable.

It took less than 2 seconds to get to the same stage on BikeRadar (I don’t post there, purely for the sake of science!)

dawson

Blimey, this has moved on since I last looked.

I was experiencing the same Franksinatra – having to log back in every time.

Getting logged out after a couple weeks is kind of expected as the cookie will have lifespan to expire.

I’ll have Google to look where the cookie might be stored on my phone

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not I that thinks you’re not doing owt b’out it, nope Sireee, not I.

You said last time I raised it you’d look at it, you did and found nart. For me at least you tried. Over the last year I’ve gotten used to it and not complained uno singlo iota’o.

I mean, what’s the point. We moan about it, try in vein to explain, you try but fail to replicate and we just sulk.. Until the next time Adz Per Nauseous’s and its booted us out again.

As said, for me, I just think “chuffin ek” and wait for the phone to load all the Adz and go make tea/make toast/have an 11 course meal in The Ivy/stick 4 loads of washing on/watch a box set of Taken until the the Adz have finally finish loading and Google have tracked my clickbait for some third world targeting marketing wonder that thinks I need Women’s Underware “for the larger Lady” or a watch I don’t even like the look of, nor think I’d even furnish the company with my hard earned Yen for.

T’is why I subscribe, I hate Adz. They invade my private time, time precious to me for the fleeting 26mins, 36secs I frequent here until I get that feeling of deepest guilt… and go do something less proactive, far from productive.

So hey, P’s rulez, t’ill next time I get booted oot aghain 😆

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’re suggesting changing the whole software for an issue that only effects a few users?

More than a few, and the ones you hear about are the vocal ones.

And no, theres more reasons to change the software which I’m frankly sick of rehashing, google it (because the search function probably doesn’t work properly either). Most centre on it not being 1996 any more.

As I said, every few hours, box checked or not on Win Phone 8.1 IE, IOS 7.1.2 Safari, Firefox of any flavour on Win10, IE 11 on Win 10, Edge on Win 10, Firefox of any flavour on Win 8.1, Firefox of any flavour on Win 7, IE 8 on XP, IE 6 on XP, Firefox of any flavour on Lubuntu 12.04, Firefox of any flavour on Lubuntu 12.10, Android browser on Xperia X10i.

Literally no other site I use that allows multiple sessions does this. Why can part timer run sites manage such a simple thing and still look and run better than a site with a (presumably) professional team behind it?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a look at zx10r.co.uk ‘s forum for an idea of how simply everything thats been asked for could be implemeted for basically now’t.
    That site sits on a server in the guys bedroom, has several thousand members, picture hosting, PM’s, avatars, signatures, etc and costs less than £150 a year to sit there ticking away.
    At any point he can log in, change a parameter, change permissions, etc.
    Oh – I’ve never been logged out of there once since joining in 2006…..

scotroutes

Make it go away!!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Make it go away!!!

You also have a control panel where you can choose to not see it scot.
    Little bit like the “P” you can get here…..

somafunk

I’ve just tried a few things mentioned above,

On iPhone open safari and log in to stw -browse one topic then open another tab to BBC website then exit safari (but don’t close program) – reopen safari and i have to log in again.

on iPad exactly the same as above,

On macbook OS X 10.8.5 pretty much the same as above except i closed safari then opened it back up rather than merely minimising the open window/tabs.

So that explains why i quite often have to log-in many times a day depending on what i choose to browse with.

BTW it does not happen on the few other forums i am a member of – seems to be limited to STW 😉

gary

So, two things. Firstly, even if you’re convinced it doesn’t work, always tick the ‘remember’ option

Just to be completely clear – I do check that 90% of the time, on the basis that its better than guaranteeing having to log in for every session. But I still end up logged out probably 2-3 times a week

Drac

Thanks Soma for testing a few things.

Drac

That site sits on a server in the guys bedroom, has several thousand members, picture hosting, PM’s, avatars, signatures, etc and costs less than £150 a year to sit there ticking away.
    At any point he can log in, change a parameter, change permissions, etc.

It has 2 thousand members and topics are several weeks old with no more posts, not really a good comparison. I bet it doesn’t sit in his bedroom either.

Most Online Today: 16. Most Online Ever: 405 (July 09, 2008, 04:30:18 AM)

Says it all really.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Actually Drac – it does.
    I know the guy personally – whilst I may not like him due to his attitude to others in real life I’ve seen the set up after that site was hacked around 2010.
    I suggest you look at the posts again – there’s been plenty of posting in what is a very small owners group.

The numbers have nothing to do with it though Drac – the point is if that site (and numerous others) can manage sessions without booting out members then why can’t this one?
    One that a large number pay “Premier” to have extra functions for.
    It becomes a joke when it can’t even keep you logged in.
    The rogues adverts are for another thread….

Drac

The logging out issue, as said numerous times, is proving difficult to pinpoint but thanks to users above testing various formats it may get narrowed down.

You can’t compare someone’s hobby site to a small business the way you tried but you’re right about the logging out issue. I run a small forum too, well 2 strictly speaking and they don’t have the this issue but they are also not serving 10,000s of visitors.

dawson

Anyway…..

Ironically, its stayed logged in since yesterday, and I’ve not needed to log in this morning to post this.

Not made any changes to settings.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I didn’t “compare” them Drac – my comment was about the fact that a site ran on a server in someone’s house has masses more features and is more stable than one run by a large magazine with paying members, advertising and a paid web developer.
    Other than allowing access to some stuff to read and no adverts ( which many use a blocker for) – the “P” here doesn’t do a thing. It certainly doesn’t make visiting here any different.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s been mentioned, but currently STW asks me for permission to use my location every time i click on it or on a thread etc. It’s getting tiresome….
    (I’m on iOS)

bigblackshed

dawson – Member
    Anyway…..

Ironically, its stayed logged in since yesterday, and I’ve not needed to log in this morning to post this.

Not made any changes to settings.

Where as I’ve just opened STW from my book mark, I was still logged in from last night and saw this thread had grown to 3 pages. Opened page 2 in a new tab, read the few posts on the bottom of page two, including yours, hit the page 3 button, Safari stalled, I closed the tab, then the overview page loaded up an older version with this thread still on 2 pages, refresh the page, logged out.

This is the only site that causes Safari to stall, this is the only forum that repeatedly logs me out at random. It’s also the only magazine and forum I pay for.

cp

Dunno if it’s been mentioned, but currently STW asks me for permission to use my location every time i click on it or on a thread etc. It’s getting tiresome….

likewise I was asked a couple of days ago on windows phone / IE browser. told the phone to remember to not allow it.

Cougar

Out of interest, do you Safari users have the ability to try an alternate browser? I’m not convinced it’s purely a Safari issue (I’m not actually convinced that it’s any one single cause any more), but it does seem to be a reasonably common trait.

picture hosting, PM’s, avatars, signatures, etc

Technical issues aside (eg, migrating existing to a new platform isn’t trivial), any sort of change like that is going to be contentious.

Take your favourite local pub. It’s a bit dingy but it’s popular and you’ve been going there for years. Then the brewery decides a refurb is in order. They redecorate, replace all the inefficient lighting with bright modern fittings, install a jukebox with all the latest chart hits, fruit machines, quiz games, organise Karaoke nights and so on. A month after the grand reopening, the place is empty and no-one knows why.

You can’t please everyone. Personally I think there are features sorely missing (on-site photo hosting is the big one) and the software does need an overhaul, but littering the place up with signatures and banners and multi-level quotes and gods know what else would be horrific IMHO.

site ran on a server in someone’s house has masses more features and is more stable than one run by a large magazine with paying members, advertising and a paid web developer.

Run by someone who has nothing better to do than play with his baby, I’d guess. I’ve run hobbyist sites before, I know exactly how that works and it’s not a fair comparison. You’re doing it for the love of the thing and you want to do everything you can to make it sing. That’s a world apart from doing it for a living where you’ve got deadlines to meet, articles to publish and so forth. Suddenly, Disgruntled of Milton Keynes getting logged out on his phone is a much lower priority.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nope Cougar – he ran his FiL’s web business day to day and the forum lived there for a long time before he got caught dipping his … elsewhere! It’s got far more to do with the platform software it runs on – this one is either very old or has had basically every feature turned off to look the way it does.

I agree that is slightly different BUT I’d warrant that a massive amount of traffic and magazine buys/subscriptions are through this very forum.
    It’s certainly how I found it way back when!
    It’s consistently the top hit in Google, etc.
    Now that’s not the Mag – that’s the Forum content so I’d say it is a reasonably high priority when its those people who then go on to buy/subscribe who are paying for the wages of those in the office to ride around on nice bikes and tell us all about it.
    So when Disgruntled of Milton Keynes has had enough of being logged out, dumps his subscription and the rest of his riding buddies do the same as they’ve also had enough suddenly theres no money to go to nice places, chat up the manufacturers to get nice stuff to test to write about…… see where this is going?

Incidentally – this site has also in the last 2 weeks started crashing Chrome on iPhone/iPad every now and then which then requires a login so may well be related. I don’t use Safari for here as its horribly laggy and logs out more than Chrome.

STATO
    Free Member

Out of interest, do you Safari users have the ability to try an alternate browser? I’m not convinced it’s purely a Safari issue (I’m not actually convinced that it’s any one single cause any more), but it does seem to be a reasonably common trait.

Mostly use chrome, login seems to last around the same amount of time. I didnt turn my work comp off yesterday, id logged in to post my previous comment, it stayed logged in the rest of the day, had to log-in again just now to post this. Issue with that is obviously i dont know if it deletes the cache overnight, but ebay, strava, blogger etc. all seem to remember. Road.cc never does, perhaps its a similar platform?

STATO
    Free Member

I agree that is slightly different BUT I’d warrant that a massive amount of traffic and magazine buys/subscriptions are through this very forum.
    It’s certainly how I found it way back when!
    It’s consistently the top hit in Google, etc.
    Now that’s not the Mag – that’s the Forum content so I’d say it is a reasonably high priority when its those people who then go on to buy/subscribe who are paying for the wages of those in the office to ride around on nice bikes and tell us all about it.
    So when Disgruntled of Milton Keynes has had enough of being logged out, dumps his subscription and the rest of his riding buddies do the same as they’ve also had enough suddenly theres no money to go to nice places, chat up the manufacturers to get nice stuff to test to write about…… see where this is going?

Sadly i think your overestimating the amount of revenue 5 blokes make 😆

Its a business thing though isnt it, a certain amount of people will pay subs regardless of the quality of the site. A certain amount will expect a level of service. A small amount will be fickle and only pay when they feel part of the ‘clique’. Most will just look at ad’s. They could spend lots of money making the site work better, how much extra revenue will that drive? We can at least be thankful we are not on Bikemagic!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

but littering the place up with signatures and banners and multi-level quotes and gods know what else would be horrific IMHO.

All of that could be switched off. You could easily recreate the look of this forum, but with the added power features of a modern forum, with several of the solutions out there. Which would ease the transition for the old timers in the corner.

To me I imagine it comes down to the amount of effort, and possible cost, of moving the codebase from the current hacky wordpress forum.

It’s a interesting question, tho, is it worth the risk to upgrade the forums? Will the time and money spent making the move be rewarded? Will there be an increase in subs when people can use a quote button? It’s a gamble, where the status quo can seem attractive.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I choose to use Safari, it’s a stable enough platform for a good many users around the world.
    I could choose to use Chrome, but I’m not going to.

And before we get all narked, I’m not being obstropolous I just think that as a good many users use the two/three top browsers in the world, that there must be a fix… somewhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Why won't my phone stay logged into STW?’ is closed to new replies.