Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • WEMBO 24hr Worlds
  • GregMay
    Free Member

So I figure I may as well start the thread.

Who all is going, and how are you feeling?

I’m going and feel a little more under prepared than I’d like. Few injuries in the past few weeks have set things back a bit, but I’m a lot less sick than I was for Relentless 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hi Greg. Depends on my ankle 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

LoCo Team are going Mark singlespeeding it and Huw and Gareth with gears.
    Going to amazing loads of friends and family coming along to support not sure we’ll have enough room for them all in the marquees 😀

GregMay
    Free Member

We will have some spare space if there is going to be a party. But not too good a party or I may stop.

c_klein87

I’ll be following avidly via the interwebs, still broken from the after effects of bonty, and not sure my mind can handle another 24hrs on a bicycle 😕 good luck to you all 😆

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.co.uk

GregMay
    Free Member

Ahh yes, the day Chris broke his cherry…and won 🙂

Hopefully this time I’ll actually finish :/

sarpullido
    Free Member

I’m participating, too. It’s my 2nd attempt to finish a 24 hour race after I stopped mid race at bonty 24 twelve suffering knee pain that never had before.
    I’ve booked 2 weeks off from work and next week from 5th I’m driving to Scotland. I’ll try to include Torridon before or after WEMBO. Never been there before but I’ve heard it’s great.

So far this year I’ve done three 12 hour solo races + nearly 16 hours Salzkammergut thropy in Austria, the last one TORQ in your sleep and did it pretty well, not having any issues in my knee, which was the reason to abandon Bontrager 24twelve.

I feel legs are a bit heavy, commuting every day, riding or racing the weekend…but the 6 days before the race, hopefully, I’ll get some proper rest.

Weather forecast will be…

wenanwhere
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Chris has wisely limited himself to one 24 for the year after Bonty and I think I’ve just about recovered from the heat exhaustion/stomach cramp trauma to have another crack (the former isn’t going to be an issue in scotland though)! Looks like the course is pretty similar to last year so will be good fun and rough descents with some steep and long climbs to boot.

Harry_the_Spider

“Terrahawk” is going. He is quite good.

tang
    Free Member

My good mate Rickie Cotter has a real chance at the Female title.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yay, looks like my ankle has mended. Shame I got a bit fat in the meantime. Anyway, I’ll be there on my trusty singlespeed 😀

NewRetroTom

I’ll be there on my singlespeed – looking forward to it!

STATO
    Free Member

Im going up to pit for a mate.

Looking forward to it (sounds like it will be a good race/event).
    Not looking forward to it (staying awake without the adrenalin of riding, potential weather).

Any tips for a pit crew from the seasoned professionals, or anyone who has done it before?

Yak

I’ve done it before. (the pit stuff). Just be v organised, everything to hand etc. Positive information, keep them motivated.
    Don’t drink too much and do not, under any circumstances be asleep when your rider comes through. No never do that… 😳

Anyway – good luck to all going.

scaled
    Free Member

Pretty sure they don’t drug test the pit crew, you should be all right 😀

TomHill
    Free Member

Yep, I’ll be there. Possibly the least prepared I’ve ever been for a 24, but looking forward to just riding (and catching up with a lot of folk).

GregMay
    Free Member

How many pairs of brake pads do we reckon will be used this weekend? Looks like it’s going to be a very wet one.

c_klein87

I wonder how many more 200mile rides Jason English can squeeze in before the weekend….he really isn’t human

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ll be there…but not as a rider, but to take some photos, so I’ll be shouting encouragement from behind a lens.

Thanks to Twinklydave for the invite, and thank you to Fiona from No Fuss for letting me in. See you all by the JMC pits

You’re all nuts by the way ( slightly jealous I have to admit, I’d love to do it, but have no idea if I actually could )

Weather wise ? I’m definitely packing wellies and a poncho.

GregMay
    Free Member

Appears there may be some water up North..

River Crossing

scaled
    Free Member

That ‘stream’ crossing looks distinctly interesting

carbonfiend
    Free Member

*packs more socks* 🙂

singletrackjenn
    Free Member
    andrewh
    Free Member

Any tips for a pit crew from the seasoned professionals, or anyone who has done it before?

Gas bottle and patio heater

STATO
    Free Member

Ha, i initially read that as ‘Get a bottle and a patio heater’ and assumed i should be getting sloshed, might be an idea but dont think dealing with an irate rider at 5am would be nice with a hangover.

Sound like it should be a laugh then.

LoCo
    Free Member

Gas bottle and patio heater

This,

also drink in moderation#

#(do what we suggest not what we do 😉 )

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about what to bring and have decided on everything I have bike kit wise. Also, warm very warm kit for afterwards 🙂

kcal

big big climbs I believe.. cycling mate from a while back is doing it but thankfully he’s forgotten to ask me as helper 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

480m climbing per 12km lap I believe.

LoCo
    Free Member

is there a ferry service over river crossing?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just prepping my bikes today (yes I know, not leaving it till the last minute at all!). I’m more accustomed to self-supported stuff so a bit clueless about this whole concept of “spares”. With that in mind, I’m bringing (amongst other things) two bikes, eight wheels (in fairness including the wheels that are actually on the bikes) and ten spare sets of brake pads. Basically the entire contents of the shed. The benefit perils of owning a van!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Only 12km lap? I’m sure I read recently that it was more like 10-11 miles..?

GregMay
    Free Member

It’s a 13km lap -check your mail Mark 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Oh yeah, cheers 🙂 Gulp! That is a bit hilly isn’t it? <runs around looking for the biggest ss sprocket he can find>

rickmeister

Is there live updates as the race is going on .. I have two friends competing and its good to keep up to date ..

sarpullido
    Free Member

I have ridden the course today. It’s a lot of fun. No mud at all despite all the rain from yesterday. I found it quite technical. Steep rocky climbs, technical downhill…quite demanding. On top of that is the weather conditions, of course. A full 29″ bike would be the best choice imo for the race. For me it’s going to be a 650b hardtail 1×10. Talked to Richie Cotter when she was about to start her lap + some australians, some guys from the organization and my friends from Catalunya. Good times!
    I did a fast lap in 48 minutes and I predict carnage for Saturday. Fingers crossed!

epicyclo

sarpullido – Member
    I have ridden the course today. It’s a lot of fun. No mud at all despite all the rain from yesterday. I found it quite technical. Steep rocky climbs, technical downhill…quite demanding….

There will be a very old slow moving mobile chicane on the course. Give me a wave as you go past… 🙂

BTW how deep is the burn (stream) after the rain?

Drillski
    Free Member

+1 for the slow moving old chicane on the course, perhaps we can bunch up and really slow the beggars down!
    See you there, it’s gonna be epic! 😀
    Pete

rickmeister

Thanks for the timing link…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘WEMBO 24hr Worlds’ is closed to new replies.