Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How is a 1.3 (99bhp 6speed) petrol hatchback driving to morzine from midlands?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

With 2 bike on the roof and 3 passengers?

Is it very Sluggish?

legend
    Free Member

Well for the hour or so in the mountains before Geneva it’s not going to be awesome. Otherwise if it’ll sit at motorway speeds then it’s the same as any other car

firestarter
    Free Member

I drove my 1.2 r reg Renault clio from Switzerland to leeds via Brussels for a week on the lash with my entire life packed in it and skis boards and a bike on the roof. It was ok but i needed new brakes all round when i got to leeds

dirtyrider
    Free Member

spent much of 2004 driving from Scunny to Morzine, in a 1.1 pug 106 – must have done it 6 times, me and the then mrs, and a car full of snowboards/bikes – bikes on the back, gear inside, was fine

ampthill

Personally I’ll I’d want to know is that the front seat is comfortable enough for me to sit in for long enough

m360
    Free Member

Better than no car.

benji
    Free Member

Just ride back, why waste time in a car.

pirahna
    Free Member

Power won’t a problem, driving comfort will be the biggest issue. Get your mates on the insurance and change drivers every hundred miles.

milky1980
    Free Member

Did S. Wales to Chatel in a Fabia 1.2 this year with a towbar rack on the back a few weeks ago, was easy! I’d be more concerned about having a comfy seat and A/C,

Just keep to 110 rather than 130 kph and you’ll be fine. The higher speed can make small cars very noisy. Just accept that getting up some of the hills will be at lorry pace.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Boring. As boring as anything else will be though.

jota180
    Free Member

Just get on with it, it’ll be fine, I rode a Honda C50 from Durham to the Med coast (Bandol)

Mind you I did dump it there and got a lift back on something a bit bigger

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Birmingham to Brittany then on to central France, Dorset and finally back to the merry midlands in a 14 year old 306 estate with “90” horses and 160000 on the clock. If it’s lost one horse a year then its 75 at best. Four bikes on the roof, four humans in it, camping kit and luggage. Close to 2000 miles and it never skipped a beat. As above boring.

Duffer
    Free Member

If these clowns can make it to Mongolia every year in a £1000 1.0l banger, i think you’ll be fine!

Marge
    Free Member

Back in the 90’s we were doing Euro trips in a lot worse cars 🙂

(Nova 1.2 saloon shitbox & 4-up springs to mind)

It’s not a race. Do it, enjoy.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks all , all the answers i ever need. 🙂 kids and cousins wants to tag along so i cant bring my van, supposed to send them there by plane and just meet up.. Never thought the roads is doable in a mini hatchback 1.3.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure exactly what you mean there but fly the kids and take the van.

Also most cars built since about 1980 would make it through france fine.

aP
    Free Member

In the early 50s my father drove an A30 round France and through the Alps. According to Wikipedia it had 28hp.

CountZero

aP – Member
    In the early 50s my father drove an A30 round France and through the Alps. According to Wikipedia it had 28hp.

950cc Sidevalve engine, he’d probably be lucky to get that! Great little car, though.
    Just re-read the thread title, 99bhp with a 6-spd box isn’t too shabby, my 1.9 TDi Octavia only has 110bhp, the Bora I test drove before it had 105, so it ought to cruise that no problem.

wilburt
    Free Member

Done several 1k plus journeys in small cars, uno, fiesta, cinqichento, no problem.

anagallis_arvensis

Never thought the roads is doable in a mini hatchback 1.3.

Eh? Does not compute.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you know AA with that special french tarmac

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Aye that decent stuff that they use over there which is great and fast to cycle on absolutely eats cars.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My van only has 68 bhp and 5 gears…….

Pulls just fine to 130kph…..

Although it has plenty torque for the hills.

bigad40
    Free Member

Can’t be any worse than a G-plate polo 1.1

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How is a 1.3 (99bhp 6speed) petrol hatchback driving to morzine from midlands?’ is closed to new replies.