Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless tape width
  • thetallman
    Free Member

I’m going to be building up a new set of wheels with Easton Arc 30 rims ( 30mm internal width ) and I’m not having much luck finding tape of that width.

I have plenty of 25mm stuff and wondered if that would be fine? Obviously the spoke holes would be adequately covered, but I’m not sure if that 2.5mm of exposed rim bed either side of the tape would affect things ( if at all ).

Apologies if this has been asked frequently, but I can’t seem to find anything definitive on the subject.

This factory pre-taped Easton Heist wheel doesn’t appear to be taped right to the edges.

Or this one.

Tracey

We have some SS carbon rims that were taped with 12mm due to internal profile, stayed up with no problems. Also cut down some 30mm tape that was a tad too wide to fit some DT rims. Used a Stanley knife as we were putting it on so one side is a bit wavy.

kimi
    Free Member

cool so 21mm tape will be okay in a 22 internal width rim?

much anxiety on this subject.. 🙂

mattyfez

My logic may be wrong, but I’d think as long as it covers the spoke holes and is wide enough for a healthy overlap to allow for a but of slip, there’s no real reason for it to be wide enough to go wall to wall, especially wider rims?

andyg1966

I used 25mm tape on ARC30 rims, perfect.

Narrow is better (within reason) because it leaves the machined edges free to seat the tyre properly. Also the centre channel is quite deep so the narrower tape pulls in more easily.

Dont buy Stans, buy the Tesa tape of ebay, so much cheaper and its identical.

Initially I used small squares of tape covering each spoke hole and that worked too.

thetallman
    Free Member

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

I used that Tesa 4289 tape on my other wheels and it’s good stuff.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I use 1″ Gorilla tape from Halfords. No need for it to go to the rims and it may cause seating probs if it does (as commented above).

nach
    Free Member

One thing I found with using narrower tape is that, probably depending on where the edge sits on the profile, an unlucky bead dismount can lift a section of the tape edge and start a leak. For some rims, the only way I’ve got the right width is by carefully chopping a roll of duct tape down.

benpinnick

Buy thinner tape and wrap multiple times would be my recommendation. We do 4 wraps for our Carbons so that even if the tape in the middle lifts a bit its still sealed underneath.

obi1
    Free Member

Another for gorilla tape here. Bought a roll of the wide stuff so it can be cut to whatever width suits.

Plus, it’s a well known fact that you can never have too much gorilla tape…

simonbea
    Free Member

I’ve not done the tubeless thing before but just got some wtb scraper rims. Wtb suggest 50mm tape if you go by their website but that seems to contrast with opinions I read elsewhere on the principles of widths!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tape width’ is closed to new replies.