Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Surly Instigator 1.0
  • norfolkboy

Hi All – I have a new frame intended for a project that I never got round to I’m thinking of selling, now very rare. Any thoughts on value? Been searching Internet but struggled to find one so unsure what to try it at.

ajantom

I bought a NOS one last year for £140, so maybe around that.

They are great frames, solidly built, and IMO really versatile.

But…….they’re not very fashionable due to 1 1/8 head tube, QR dropouts, and quite steep angles (compared to the current crop of low and slack bikes).
    They also look a bit odd – I like em, but it’s an acquired taste!

norfolkboy

Thanks for info. Yeah I like them, appreciate its a bit retro and lacks some of the recent updates but still looks good IMO, unique, and would love to finish and ride it but not sure I can justify it. I have several 26ers already, have only recently made move to 29 and am now eyeing up some of the other new wheel sizes! This is what I originally had in mind;

Instigator the 2nd

What do they ride like?

ajantom

Very stable ride. I love mine for a lot of the tight and twisty singletrack we have round my parts.
    Due to Surly building in serious mud clearance it will happily take a 27.5 wheel with 2.2 tyre in the back. So if you have some forks that’ll take 27.5 tyres (Magura Thors in my case) you can run 2 sizes of wheel.

norfolkboy

Think I have some troll forks which I believe were similar to the instigators. Certainly versatile, a great surly trait. Reading their website it can also take 24×3, that would be interesting – but prob going in wrong direction size wise! And ability to take 100-130mm fork, you see people put longer forks on too.

Didn’t occur to me it’d take 27.5, have you tried it? Do you run it with a suspension fork? Is it good over technical terrain, rock gardens etc? Tempted to just keep it and build it later now!

ajantom

I run a Magura 140 fork on it. It’s a 26 fork but will fit a 2.25 x 27.5 tyre. The frame happily takes a 2.2 x 27.5 tyre in the back.
    I have two sets of wheels that I use with it – 26s with Arch EX rims and 2.4 tyres for more AM stuff, and some Mavic Crossroc 27.5 wheels with 2.2 tyres for more XC jaunts.

It’s a very stable bike. Great on twisty & rooty steep stuff, but equally at home on long XC rides. I’d say build it and ride it – you won’t get much for the frame unfortunately.
    I’ll try and find a recent photo.

ajantom

This is it in 26″ mode….

tomlevell

Unfortunately I’d say pretty much worthless even unused.

BITD I ran mine with 3″ Gazzaloddi up front and a 2.6″ Gazzaloddi at the back in 26″ flavour.
    No wonder I love my 29+ which weighs at least 8lbs less.

Past life
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/7wPvi]Porcupine Rim[/url] by Tom Levell, on Flickr

Repurposed as a trailer puller and now currently used as the town bike. Needs some massive slicks though.

I bought an extra set of decals for a future repaint and picked up a barely used set of Instigator rigid forks for town duty.

ajantom

Funnily enough I’ve got a 29+ too (Krampus)
    They make a good pair 🙂

norfolkboy

I may keep it then, like the sound of the 27 option, pls post pic if you have one.

I was after a krampus last year but they all sold out. Just found pic of a karate monkey, which is what I ended up getting, with 29+ wheels/tyres – didn’t know that was possible, looking into that more to see if I can do it to the KM ops I got.

Tom – how does it ride with those tyres on it? Can imagine they are heavy built up, I think my KM is pretty heavy, and in XL feels huge, weighs around 33lbs, maybe a little more, can feel those extra 2/3 lbs but still like the ride overall, can tackle some stuff more confidently that I would on a 26er. Can only imagine a 29+ would be better still, the krampus looks great

norfolkboy

Here’s the KM 29+ I found

Karate Monkey Rohloff 29+

NormalMan

Did you buy a KM Ops as a complete build or frameset?

I’ve just bought one (complete build) to go along with my Pugsley.

tomlevell

The Gazzzas were ridiculous. Run at silly low pressures they didn’t like going round corners but got me down some stuff I’d never ridden before. 1.5kg approx each though was bonkers.
    Generally ran the bike on 2.3″ tyres.

I sold the frame and bought it back again a few years later as it was one of the few I regretted parting with. Not that I’d want to use it as a MTB nowadays. I had intended buying a Xtracycle to turn it into a cargo bike but realised my use wouldn’t justify the outlay and sticking some panniers on would do. Still not done that though :0)

norfolkboy

Ok, cheers Tom, sounds like that build takes burly to next level!

Normal Man – I bought it complete, at a sale price. My first foray into 29 ers. Great bike, is a bit on heavy side I think, will look to reduce weight when upgrading stock parts. Wheels first. Did a bikepacking trip last year for a couple of weeks and was great for that, v comfortable.

andykirk
    Free Member

That 29+ Monkey…. now there’s something I have never seen before.

I wonder why then all Surly specs say maximum 2.5inch tyre?

NormalMan

As you are a KM owner (@ OP) can I link this thread in too:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-karate-monkeys-please

ajantom

I imagine the clearance is minimal, and the Vee Rubber tyres they have on don’t have very prominent side knobbles, and the knobbles stop quite high up on the tyre. So even though they are proper 3″ tyres they’re narrower than most.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Surly Instigator 1.0’ is closed to new replies.