Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • So, it's ok to kill cyclists if the sun's in your eyes?
  • TomB
    alex222
    Free Member

I know the two remaining brothers. the whole ordeal has been difficult. Its taken 18 months to get it to court and then this. speachless

MarkyG82

Washers not working. Unable to stop within the visible distance. Speculative road conditions.

I feel for the family and friends. Alex222 included.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds like a new version of those laws where it’s legal to kill a welshman after dark in Chester. It’s Ok to kill cyclists as long as the suns out.

That’s the second case I’ve heard of where the sun’s been blamed, there was one in South Wales last year IIRC?

edlong
    Free Member

Wasn’t facing low sun and not being able to see cited as the main defence by the van driver that killed that RAF chappie a while back?

MSP

Wasn’t it also the excuse used for the killing of that RAF officer in a TT?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Washers not working. Unable to stop within the visible distance. Speculative road conditions.

+1

Simply appaulling

MSP

Although there have been days when I have gone out on my road bike, cycled a mile or so, turned into the sun and found my vision so restricted that I decided its too risky and turned back.

Sandwich

Washers not working, MoT fail and an unroadworthy vehicle and no insurance too?

mtbfix

One of those cases of the jurors thinking ‘it could have been me’ and returning an innocent verdict because they would not wish to be in that position.

Woody
    Free Member

Asked if he thought he had been at fault, he said: “I would not like to say whether it was my fault, their fault or a combination of both.”

Effectively he is saying that the cyclists could have been just as much to blame as he was!

If he doesn’t understand the basic principal that it is not acceptable to kill people simply because you claim not to have seen them, or that continuing to drive with severely impaired vison has fatal consequences, then his driving license should be revoked immediately, as well as his freedom for an act of gross stupidity.

Absolutely tragic…….and as for

Reacting to the verdict, the Crown Prosecution Service said their decision to take the case to trial was reached after taking guidance on cases involving bad driving and following consultation with Cumbria police.

Judge Batty had said there could be no criticism of the CPS for bringing the charges.
    So, am I to assume the CPS now have to justify themselves for taking this to court! Seriously WTF 😥

SiB
    Free Member

Although there have been days when I have gone out on my road bike, cycled a mile or so, turned into the sun and found my vision so restricted that I decided its too risky and turned back.

+1
    Also occassions where I’ve had to stop driving due to the glare of the sun as I’m sure alot of us have. Yes, I stopped, but in those few meters between needing to stop and actually stopping if there was say a cyclist or pedestrian on the road I can honestly say I wouldnt have seen them.

Terrible accident that could have been avoided if bus driver had stopped (sorry for stating the obvious)

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a road on my commute, where the sun shines into driver’s eyes as they turn into it and come towards me. Most of them just squint and carry on, I have to dodge them. No-one driving considers slowing down or stopping until they bloody have to. It’s crazy.
    Luckily it’s a slow road and there are kids walking to school, otherwise I’d have probably been hit by now.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Another recent case…
    http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lorry-driver-killed-cyclist-A1035-spared-prison/story-16410467-detail/story.html

Lorry driver speeding and couldn’t see properly out of the windscreen. Judge said “You were driving a large HGV in a way that fell significantly below what is expected of a competent and careful driver.” yet spared prison because the cyclists rear light wasn’t bright enough !?

alex222
    Free Member

I did mean that it has been difficult for the family not me personally. They hold a sportive/audax type event annually where donations go to road peace.

team townend

GrahamS

Martin Porter (aka The Cycling Silk) has his thoughts on this here

It wouldn’t really have mattered if he had been found guilty anyway – Martin keeps a table of recent sentences for drivers that kill cyclists – suffice to say the courts don’t exactly come down hard on them even when they are found guilty.

Northwind

So nobody here has ever been glared unexpectedly by the sun while driving, for a second or two?

The point on stopping within the distance available isn’t straightforward either going by the report- could be his visibility changed suddenly, rather than driving consistently faster than his visility

Sandwich – Member
    Washers not working, MoT fail and an unroadworthy vehicle and no insurance too?

Washers failed because of the cold- MOT hardly relevant and certainly doesn’t affect insurance. Also nothing in the article to suggest it was contributory to the crash.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So nobody here has ever been glared unexpectedly by the sun while driving, for a second or two?

Does seem to be a trend forming though doesn’t there?

The highway code is pretty specific – “Highway Code 93
    Slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by bright sunlight.”

alex222
    Free Member

unexplained failure to see

😯

monkeyboyjc

Haveing had a crash in similar circumstances (only involving my vehicle), i can sympathise with the driver, however its also not right that two inocent people have been killed. Its a difficult one for the Judge…..

EDIT… my crash happened trying in the works van when i was blinded by the sun, I was coming around a bend on the crest of a hill and tried to bring the van to a stop on the verge, but drove it into a dry stone wall -if a cyclist or pedestrian had been there i would have gone through them.

yunki
    Free Member

there’s a short road section that heads due west on the way home from my regular xc loop, at certain times of the year I avoid it completely in the evenings..

I’m not laying any blame with the riders involved, but I’ve certainly changed my riding habits as a result of cases like these..

project
    Free Member

If only he was driving wearing sunglases, or the coach washers where working properley, or the cyclists where some place else.

Sadly it was a tragic accident something that could happen to any of us, wether a driver or cyclist,all parties have to live with what happened.

one simple thing if driving if you cant see stop or slow down, so easy to do, and yet so ignored by a large majority of motorists.

ahwiles
    Free Member

there’s a short road section that heads due west on the way home from my regular xc loop, at certain times of the year I avoid it completely in the evenings..

I’m not laying any blame with the riders involved, but I’ve certainly changed my riding habits as a result of cases like these..

see also: ringinglow road, sheffield.

#deathtrap.

(long straight road, high speeds, multiple blind summits, low evening sun)

amedias
    Free Member

yes, but unless you are travelling around a very sharp corner/over a very sharp hill-crest, at speed, and haven’t clocked that you’ll be turning into the sun then you have ample opportunity to slow down before hand and look at what’s ahead.

I don’t get the ‘I was suddenly blinded’ argument, you may have been suddenly blinded, but were you not looking where you were going and observing other road users around you (the cyclists ahead) before hand? Perhaps even enough to think “hey I’m about to turn into the sun and be blinded, maybe I should slow down…”

It’s the same as blind spot checks, although it is a vital check it is a **secondary** measure to also being aware of what’s going on around you. Objects rarely magically transport themselves into blind spots, they normally get there by travelling through observable areas first.

singletrackmind

+1 . Exactly the same . pulled over looked back to see drivers with hands over most of their eyes , effectively blinded.

Klunk
    Free Member

we have less rights than a stray dog when riding on UK roads.

add551
    Free Member

Now then, I’ve been meaning to signup to STW for a while but never got round to it – until I read this post:

If only he was driving wearing sunglases, or the coach washers where working properley, or the cyclists where some place else.

Well here’s the thing – this was in an article from yesterday’s News and Star – and funnily enough, left out of today’s paper:

Earlier in his police interview, the defendant had told police that he was not tired but that he had left his prescription sunglasses at home on the day of the accident.

Great.

No prescription sunglasses, road “narrowed by banks of snow”, below 0c, low sun, “he could see 20 to 30 metres ahead, and conceded he could not have stopped in that distance” – and apparently this isn’t enough to count as dangerous – or even careless – driving. 🙁

alex222
    Free Member

we have less rights than a stray dog when riding on UK roads.

It amazes me when I see a car speed past me cut me up flip me off etc then slam on the breaks and give a sheep a wide birth! Its totally baffling

Ladders
    Free Member

I bet if I was driving and I crashed into another car because I couldn’t see properly I’d get at least half the blame! Disgusting.

jackthedog
    Free Member

F-king travesty.

poly
    Free Member

So a Jury of 12 people sat through all the evidence, and then decided (at least 10 of them must have agreed) he wasn’t guilty but STW has reviewed the limited information in a newspaper article and concludes the man is guilty. Given the choice of loosing the benefits of trial by Jury or accepting that sometimes a Jury will not come to the same conclusion as you, most people accept that the benefits of the system outweigh the alternative. It is surely preferable that trials are conducted in court by listening to all the evidence rather than by the media?

pdw
    Free Member

yes, but unless you are travelling around a very sharp corner/over a very sharp hill-crest, at speed, and haven’t clocked that you’ll be turning into the sun then you have ample opportunity to slow down before hand and look at what’s ahead.

Even if you are travelling around a very sharp corner/over a very sharp hill-crest and haven’t clocked that you’ll be turning into the sun, then you should still be driving at a speed that allows you to stop in the distance that you can see to be clear.

If you are completely blinded instantly then you use that distance to stop.

taxi25
    Free Member

Reading the Bus drivers explenation of the accident I can see how it could of happened. A terrible tragedy, but it doesn’t mean the driver “has to be at fault “. Sometimes terrible things happen, in this case the twelve people who heard all the evidence agree. It’s a bit sad all you haters on here can’t accept it as well.

amedias
    Free Member

exactly my point

EDIT – in response the PDW, not the post above

joolsc
    Free Member

Exactly, you turn into blinding sun (although in most cases I would have thought you could anticipate it, especially by looking at vehicles in front), you slow right down to a crawl until you can pull the visor down and get a better view of the road, his excuses are laughable.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

A terrible thing to happen to anyone, but it can happen to anyone, and has to me;

2004, driving a Hi-top transit van. Just been overtaken by 2 Motor bikes racing it up on quiet dead straight back lane. They came past me so fast i didnt hear them coming and they rather took me by surprise. the road was dead straight, it was 1830hours in a far sunnier mid June than this one, the sun was low, with blinding light coming off a large stream parrellel to my side of the road. I had to turn right, the road was clear ahead tho very bright. I actually remember thinking, ‘stick your head out the window and check for more racing motorbikes before you turn’, which i did. i heard and saw nothing. I was indicating, and had come to a dead stop before turning right, i looked ahead, nothing, turned in and then saw a vauxhall coming at me very fast out of the sun. The head on collision(i had the split foresight to nail the cluth and lift off the brake) pushed the van back 20 metres into the stream and it sunk end first up to the drivers door. The cavalier had dissappeared underneath me. Driver, passenger, 4 year old girl (unsecured) in back seat all ok. no injuries.
    The car was doing over 80mph by police estimates but it was still deemed to be my fault as i turned in front of them.
    Skid mark braking distances were measured but never used. The police said the road was notorious for accidents at the junction in those conditions.
    Van and car were a write offs.
    I was walking around with an undiagnosed severe spinal injury as i had gone through the windscreen of the van on impact. This wasnt discovered for 6 months.
    There is no way in this world i would have taken that turn if it wasn’t safe to do so.
    If the car was travelling at the correct speed the accident would have been avoided.

Dont condem the guy out of hand. You dont know. You weren’t there.

tracknicko
    Free Member

was still deemed to be my fault as i turned in front of them.

so not an accident then.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think most people are just worried that justice isn’t often served in bicycle vs car cases since its far more likely people in the jury are “motorists” than “cyclists”, and many people drive with the same level of concentration as they’d devote to walking i.e. not enough. They thus assume this is a normal state of affairs and don’t find people guilty when maybe they should, in a sort of “he can’t be guilty because i drive like that all the time” kind of a way.

redthunder
    Free Member

“I checked across to the right, to the white line, to make sure I wasn’t driving into any oncoming traffic and then I looked back to my left. I caught a shadow coming into the bottom left of the corner of the windscreen.

“I just heard a bang.”

Who turns there head to right to check the white line 😯

Just sucks all of it…:-(

Northwind

redthunder – Member

Who turns there head to right to check the white line

Someone who’s suddenly lost their forward visibility perhaps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘So, it's ok to kill cyclists if the sun's in your eyes?’ is closed to new replies.