Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Small Ramp for Kids
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I want to build a small bike ramp for my 4year old son to play on, I want to make it so he can roll over it (and so his mum won’t have kittens), but big enough to be fun, so it will last a few years and so I can play too! Please can you post some photos for inspiration and give any hints or tips to make it fun?

I’ve looked at a few pics and like the look of the first ramp below, however would it be easier to build it like the second pic (so I don’t have to try and bend a sheet of ply), or is something like the third pic just as good (and slightly easier to build)?

matt_outandabout

Pallet ramp.

We have two. Basically remove bottom plank, move one end of the wooden blocks to far end and re-attach the bottom planks. If you don’t want it as big, halve the blocks. We have three – mini, midi and big bugger. The lads now stack them up and hit 4-5m onto flat…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-us-your-homemade-booters

aracer
    Free Member

Can’t find any pics at the moment, bit the one I built is curved with a single sheet of plywood on top. Not that hard to bend it – I didn’t steam it or anything, just screwed it in place.

prawny

I saw a video of a kid launching over 3 mates on a ramp similar to this one on facebook the other day. for £15 I couldn’t be bothered to go to the trouble of building one, but I’m not handy.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Prawny, while the amazon jobbie would be easy, I exceed the 90kg max 😳 and I quite fancy building something with the boy!

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’d do the pallet one, solid, cheap and easy.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sorry-childrens-helmet-rant

Stevet1
    Free Member

The third one will be heavy. If you built it in sections though it would be easier to move and store and could also be used as a stand alone kicker, a tabletop and later on a double where you can increase the length. Just try and make the transitions at least slightly curved not like the one posted.

matt_outandabout

If you buy the plastic ramp, you also need to buy some sandbags. Even on grass they skid around, on concrete a lot. We have two for scooters/next doors mini_ripper.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I put those rampage plastic ramps on the christmas list and grandparents bought it. No need for sandbags yet but he’s a skinny 4 year old so probably not enough heft to shift it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Plank of wood and bricks start small and increase. Build a permanent ramp when they are happy with a foot or so. Don’t bother with roll over able.bif you start small i.e 1 brick it will be roll off able anyway. Don’t over complicate things!

hooli

We have a pallet one too, often found with one end pointed skywards by adding a few bricks/blocks under one end 😳

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t over complicate things!

This !!!

You can easily get 1ft plus using a plank of wood and bricks/bodies/earth in fact anything that is lying around

jonathan
    Free Member

Those Rampage ramps are good though – not too big for a 4 year old, but still plenty fun for bigger ones.

[video]http://vimeo.com/139130249[/video]

Should probably cross-post that to a helmet thread… or maybe not 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Small Ramp for Kids’ is closed to new replies.