Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano press fit BB diy removal/refitting?
  • renton
    Free Member

Is it possible or do I need special tools to remove and refit?

Looking at fitting a stealth dropper so need to remove the BB to do so.

Cheers

Steve

gonzy
    Free Member

you need a headset removal tool to knock the cups out of the frame.
    the tool costs about £20 or cheaper but if you wanted and had the time and ability, you can make on yourself using a steel pipe. just cuts 4 slots down the length of the pipe at one end then splay the ends out.
    to refit you’ll need a bearing press tool, buying them can eb costly but again you can make a homemade one. all you need is a long threaded shaft with bolts, some big steel washers and possibly a piece of hardwood witha hole drilled into it so the threaded shaft can pass through it.
    its similar to installing a headset.

coblck
    Free Member

Used a 20mm copper pipe and cut 4 slots in and bent the ends out slightly, removed cups no bother.

renton
    Free Member

Can I re use the cups I remove or do I have to get new ones?

coblck
    Free Member

I also ordered one of these
    tool

perthmtb
    Free Member

I bought the Park tools BBT-90.3 set for about forty quid, which comes with the removal tool and a pair of cup presses for fitting. Need to add a headset press to tighten the cups, or like I did get some threaded rod and nuts & washers from the hardware store for a couple of quid…

You may be lucky if the cups just pop out, but mine have always been a tight fit and knocking them out destroys them, even though I install them with grease and use the proper removal tool.

Also be careful just using washers to press the cups in rather than the proper cup presses, as the inner bearing race is slightly raised, so all the force will go on the bearings. The proper Park tools have a raised lip which presses on the cup surround instead…

renton
    Free Member

I might be lucky and only have to tak eone side out to thread the cable through !

I was going to use a big drift and a block of wood, may revise that thinking now !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano press fit BB diy removal/refitting?’ is closed to new replies.