Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RoW – Peak District – Byelaws against Cyclists?
  • Orangejohn
    Free Member

In a recent ongoing discussion on RoW; half way through the thread 'nbt' commented

It is NOT a criminal offence unless a specific local bye-law has been passed, e.g. such a law has been passed within the peak district

I am aware that the National Parks & Access to the Countryside Act, 1949 (as amended) and the Dartmoor Commons Act, 1985 make it a criminal offence to mtb where you shouldn't, within the Dartmoor National Park. This and other offences to do with horse riding, camping etc; due to the sensitive nature of the area (I assume).

I am NOT however aware as to similar legislation having been passed for any other National Park within England and Wales. Particularly the Peak District National Park which interests me the most. This is 'byelaws specifically aimed at cyclists' not motorised transport.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

There is a byelaw specifying a fine of up to £500 in the Peak National Park, but when I posted shots of the Bog Trotters riding Stanage Edge and was grassed up, no prosecution followed.

unstableJ
    Free Member

much as it pains me to agree with Mr Barnes he's right in this instance 😉

The bye-law applies on National Park Access land, which is all clearly marked on the latest OS maps and sign posted out in the park with those little pictures of a walker. Pretty sure it covers all the National Trust land as well.

Outside of the access land I'm not aware of any over-arching law covering the whole national park (yet!).

I don't know of anyone every having had more than a stern telling off from a Park Warden though, can't see the Police ever getting involved.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Sorry, posted to wrong thread

TomB

Also interested in any information re Lakes NP from a similar perspective.

Bunnyhop

nbt is the I.M.B.A rep. for the Peak District, so should know his stuff.

nbt

The bye-law exists. As SFB says though, enforcement is another matter

scottidog
    Free Member

So what about trails that are neither FP or BW? I was on a nice bit of singletrack above Ladybower this weekend that doesn't show on the OS map and is not signed at all. The ramblers there were thoroughly offended by my presence and quick to point out that it definately was not a bike path. My only response because I don't know any better is 'well it's not a footpath either'

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

used to be called 'open access' and was an agreement between landowners in the Peak District, it was marked on OS maps. It allows walkers to wonder the moorland freely in the areas specified. It does not cover cycles. There are also restrictions aimed at protecting wildlife, agriculture and shooting rights.

The National Trust byelaws (pretty sure they are no longer part of the access agreement) can be found on the back of the rectangular signs underneath the 'Omega' signs which mark the boundary of national trust land on most rights of way and access points.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, riding on footpaths in environmentally sensitive areas does absolutely nothing but harm to the cause of cyclists in those areas and probably in general.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sorry, i'm an idiot…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

does absolutely nothing but harm to the cause of cyclists

say rather absolutely nothing but fun. The NPA may fuss and fume but they cannot afford to do any more about it.

scottidog
    Free Member

That T-Junction is actually a crossroads- what the map doesn't show is the cheeky bit of singletrack heading south- skirts and undulates around the West side of the hill above the woods then drops steeply down to join the BW above Ladybower Inn. Pretty hairy in places (enough to send me for a tumble at least!) and very good fun. Best to start on the BW on top of Whinstone then you get to do the rock slabs too.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=419796&y=387396&z=115&sv=419796,387396&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=828&ax=419796&ay=387396&lm=0

Not sure whether this would even be open access- not on the OS maps, not in a nature reserve but there are others nearby. It is a well beaten path though and fair game I reckon!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it's not open access and it's privately owned (not National Trust, they only own the three fields below the junction)

It's owned by the people who own the land on the East side of the Derwent watershed (not sure of the name) and rather than contravening a right of way you are trespassing (well not that trespass really exists IIRC)

steveh

Scottidog I know exactly where you mean and it's a great bit of trail.

cuckoo
    Free Member

I guess here

edit – sorry just read the post above.

cuckoo
    Free Member

What about the dotted black paths on the OS maps. Can we ride these legally?

Some of them are up there with the best trails in the dark peak IMO.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

rather than contravening a right of way you are trespassing

"forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" Jesus, 33AD

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RoW – Peak District – Byelaws against Cyclists?’ is closed to new replies.