Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rigid fork question
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

If I put a rigid 29er fork on a frame and put a 26″ wheel in said fork, that’d be OK wouldn’t it?

The way I see it the 29er fork would just raise the front up and give a similar position to a long travel 26″ fork sat in its sag….

Am I making sense?!?

psycorp
    Free Member

As long as your frame will take the a-c of the fork it’ll be fine.

jaymoid

Is your 29er rigid fork suspension adjusted? If so I think it may raise the front “too much”.

If you had a frame that is designed to have 100mm suspension, you’d need a rigid fork that was suspension adjusted, to have the same(ish?) axle to crown distance as a 100 mm suspension fork provides.

see… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/measuring-axle-to-crown-height

kerley
    Free Member

All depends how much longer the 29er rigid fork is than your current fork.
    There is no set size for a rigid fork so a fork for a 29″ wheel could vary by around 40mm. If you had a particularly long 29″ fork it would change your frame angles and also raise the front up too much while also giving your bike a bit of a chopper look.

wwaswas

bear in mind you want to look at the ‘sagged’ values of the suspension fork you’re replacing – this can be significant even if you’re using a fork designed for the wheel size of the frame, more so with a 29er fork in a 26″ frame.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Don’t forget that 29’er forks often have a different rake to 26’er forks.

jonba
    Free Member

Check the a to c but was fine for me.

Northwind

Yup, that’s exactly what I did with my Exotics- I got them for a Soul so I wanted “long travel” rigids basically not the usual 100mm corrected ones. Basically buy on actual dimensions not on what it says on the listing.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

It’d be going on a 456… the a2c is 470mm… my ‘maths’ tells me that’d be fine, & the equivalent of a 130mm 26″ fork sat in its sag…. a bit like northwind above.

paladin

i have a 470mm A-C exotic fork on my 456, previously had a 26″ wheel in it, but now got a 29″ wheel fitted. It works for me.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Perfect paladin… you don’t have any pics do you? Sounds like what I’m ultimately planning!!

paladin

i do have pics. and when i figure out how to link them from google photos, i’ll put them on here

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Ha… no worries & thanks!

paladin

gastromonkey
    Free Member

-1 point for valve / logo alignment on the rear. 😀

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Good effort, thanks again.

paladin

gastromonkey – Member
    -1 point for valve / logo alignment on the rear.

different coloured wheels ok tho? 😉

OCB
    Free Member

Dunno if this helps, but both of my 26″ frames have 29″ forks and 26″ wheels (f&r) and they ride (subjectively) really well.

You’ll notice that I like to challenge the conventions of the bike-photo genre, by playfully flirting with unconventional ideas around things like logo/valve/crank alignment, and clear backgrounds, lending each picture what I like to think of as an earthy, rustic quality, befitting of racked, rigid steel bikes in countryside scenes, oft single-speeding, but all built up organically for a purpose, not just bought off the shelf.

😉

1992 Kona Fire Mountain with PII 29er forks.

2010/11 Genesis Altitude with Surly ECR forks:

PJay
    Free Member

It’s not always clear what makes a fork a 29er fork. The important thing is that its axle to crown height is within the limit of the frame’s design. I checked with Pipedream, the manufacturers of my frame, who advised that anything from 440mm – 480mm would work (the frame will take 90mm-130mm sus. forks). I was going to buy a 440mm fork but MRP, the manufacturers, recommended their 465mm length fork knowing that the frame as 26″ wheeled and could take up to a 130mm sus. fork; I bought as recommended, and rides really nicely.

MRP do a range of rigid forks (420mm up to 490mm, all I think with the same rake) and don’t seem to spec. them for specific wheel sizes. I’ve seen the 465mm fork I have sold as a 29er, 27.5er and (when one retailer was just selling the 465mm and 490mm) as a 26er fork. Fork heights and sag recommendations vary between suspension brands, but I’d guess that 465mm is roughly a sagged 110/120mm 26″ fork (450mm is usually suggested to be the equivalent of a 100mm fork).

takisawa2

One of the best riding hardtails I’ve ever had was a mk2 (26″) Inbred running a 29″ fork up front.
    It was great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork question’ is closed to new replies.