Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Parallel Universes, Entropy and the meaning of life?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

So had a bit of a thought when I woke up this morning, it led me to firing off an email to someone far clevererister than myself in the hope of a sensible answer, but just for the sake of completness I figured I’d see what you lot had to say on the matter… this is the email:

Dear *******

I hope you’re well and this entertains you, I can’t proclaim any great knowledge, I just tend to believe that the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Perhaps you could help me with this?

I’ve been musing over the multiverse and awoke this morning with a thought on entropy and existence, this was it:

(please excuse the brief waffle, its just me trying to give you some idea of my thought process)

The multiple realities theory suggests that with every single decision you make splits into more realities . Each really continuing to its eventual entropy.

Ultimately were all just vibrating atoms expanding and reducing until the energy “runs out” and we end up as inert materials. (“life a beach” ha!)

But then there’s an argument that as this is happening to everyone and everything around us, that the effect of others choices and their parallel worlds has a direct effect on the entropic state of another’s existence.

But then there’s the issue of reproduction, which is not entropic (is this where I’ve got it wrong?), as this is considered to be creation?

So considering that every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction, which could suggest that for every life created that in a parallel reality, a life ends in another or this.
    Perhaps where another life had ended the residual energy combines with that of another to create something new?

Could that be measured in DNA? I read about Helmut Schiessels discovery of a “second layer” intrigued me and when you look at how proteins read meta DNA code (http://phys.org/news/2013-03-proteins-meta-dna-code.html) the following section struck me:

“The idea is that a small defect in the form of a missing or extra base pair enters the DNA section wrapped around a nucleosome. This defect can then diffuse through the wrapped DNA and once it leaves the other end of the wrapped section, the nucleosome moves by the extra or missing length that the defect carried with it.”

well perhaps that “missing or extra base pair” could be the multiverse staring straight back at us?

and perhaps provide an explanation as to why everything hasn’t yet ground to a dusty halt just yet?

Although it could suggest that in another reality we’ve just all been wiped out by a nuclear holocaust just to prove me wrong, but then it could also mean that in another reality we’ve all just become unexpectedly pregnant!

Which in turn could suggest that reproduction is the sole purpose of existence and the explanation as to why everything hasn’t yet stopped. And that would then give the answer to the question: Why are we here? the answer being “because we keep reproducing.”

A penny for your thoughts?

and that goes for you lot too,

oh and I highly recommend watching this: http://www.eelstheband.com/parallel_worlds.php

nickc

scotroutes

But then there’s the issue of reproduction, which is not entropic (is this where I’ve got it wrong?), as this is considered to be creation?

It’s not creating anything – it’s merely recycling.

slowoldman

Well other than agreeing E and The Eels are brilliant I have nothing to offer.

richmars

Entropy isn’t what it used to be.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Entropy isn’t what it used to be.

It is what it will have been, though.

oldnpastit

The “multiverse” thing is all about superposition of quantum states. It’s not about “our” choices.

And (as far as we know) there’s no way to interact with the other quantum states.

donald
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

Entropy can decrease locally – in fact that’s a pretty good definition of life, something is alive if it decreases entropy in its local neighbourhood.

In evolutionary terms, the purpose of any life form is to reproduce. You don’t need any multiple universe theories to account for that.

The reason things haven’t stopped yet is we haven’t waited long enough – give it a few billion more years.

slowoldman

I think the whole idea of multiverses is utter bollocks. But then I’m an engineer and my concept of the physical is entirely explained by Newtonian physics.

allthepies
    Free Member

Executive closers ain’t what they used to be.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There is no meaning to life. The only purpose of living is staying alive until you die.

scotroutes

The meaning of life is to win.

Capitalism – He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Judaism – He who buys toys at the lowest price, wins.

Catholicism – He who denies himself the most toys, wins.

Atheism – There is no toy maker.

Anglican – They were our toys first.

Greek Orthodox – No, they were ours first.

Branch Davidians – He who dies playing with the biggest toys, wins.

Hari Krishna – He who plays with the most toys, wins.

Polytheism – There are many toy makers.

Evolutionism – The toys made themselves.

Church of Christ, Scientist – We are the toys.

Communism – Everyone gets the same number of toys.

B’Hai – All toys are just fine with us.

Amish – Powered toys are surely a sin.

Taoism – The doll is as important as the dump truck.

Mormonism – Every boy may have as many toys as he wants.

Voodoo – Let me borrow that doll for a second….

Jehovah’s Witnesses – He who sells the most toys door-to-door, wins.

Pentecostalism – He whose toys can talk, wins.

Existentialism – Toys are a figment of your imagination.

Confusianism – Once a toy is dipped in water, it is no longer dry.

Non-denominationalism – We don’t care where the toys came from, let’s just play with them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There is no meaning to life. The only purpose of living is staying alive until you die.

That’s what they want you to think.

dpfr

You can decrease entropy locally, at an energetic cost, but Universally, entropy must continue to increase because by definition the Universe must be a closed system.

See also Heat Death of the Universe.

NZCol

Drink anyone ?

funkmasterp

What’s going on?

epicyclo

The meaning of life?

You live, you die, you rot.
    That’s all you’ve got.
    So enjoy the bit between.

jamj1974

What’s going on?

Well! At last! A question I can answer.

It’s the finest album by Marvin Gaye, finest album on Motown and possibly even the finest soul album…

scaredypants

The word “entropy” is not only an anagram (in wingdings) of i’nrats but is a perfect five dimensional palindrome

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Parallel Universes, Entropy and the meaning of life?’ is closed to new replies.