Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA: The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson. BBC1 – 10.40 tonight
  • binners

If you don’t know the story, you need too. If you’ve heard the uplifting interviews with Wilko during his farewell tour, I’m sure you found them as positive and as inspiring as I do.

This is Julien Templets documentary of him filming Wilkos ‘farewell tour’ as he refused treatment for his terminal cancer diagnosis, to go out on a high, doing what he loved instead. Playing stomping rock tunes! If you don’t know the story, it didn’t quite work out like that. At the documentary turned into a completely different animal.

I haven’t actually seen it, but I expect it’ll be a bit dusty at some point.

Wilko Johnson is an absolutely inspiring character, in a really modest and self-deprecating way! Absolutely essential viewing!

“if it’s going to kill me, I don’t want it to bore me”

chakaping
    Free Member

cheers, will record

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Love him to bits. Saw him once in 1979, then twice in 2013-14

Watch Oil City Confidential to understand the context.

fenred
    Free Member

Gawd bless ya for the PSA…On it! 8)

athgray
    Free Member

Cheers binners. Knackered after late night last night, but will watch on iplayer

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m recording it,as mentioned above Oil City Confidential is also worth a viewing

mark d
    Free Member

Cheers for the update binners.
    His interview with Simon Mayo on Radio 2 a couple of years ago was truly inspirational.

binners

Well that was genuinely life-affirming stuff. I’d seriously recommend you watch it on iplayer. It really is moving and inspiring. Beautifully filmed too.

I’ve recorded it so that when I’m being a whiney cockbag, and moaning about some minor, trivial perceived problem, someone can tell me to STFU and watch a documentary about someone being upbeat, good humoured, and warm hearted when faced with their own imminent death. It should to give me a serious kick up the arse, and a sense of perspective.

Absolutely essential viewing.truly uplifting!

Julien Temple updates the remarkable story of Dr Feelgood musician Wilko Johnson. Reflecting on his impending death, Johnson muses on the transformative power of mortality.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for alerting us binners, will catch up on i-player.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Ive watched a few Julien Temple documentaries,Oil City Confidential,Requiem for Detroit and now this,they’re all good viewing.
    Wilko certainly had a positive attitude,inspiring stuff.
    I also recorded it so I can watch it again sometime.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

He absolutely nailed his Gig at this Years’s Cambridge Folk Festival,superb.

ourmaninthenorth

Bolleaux. Missed that. And I’ve left my ipad at home this week, so will have to wait until the weekend to watch it.

Fascinating character. I remember driving home from the station one night listening to that famous interview on Front Row (he’d had the diagnosis and wasn’t going to take it lying down) and thinking hats off to him for showing such joie de vivre in the face of doom.

kcal

bit dusty in here, suddenly, @wwaswas 🙁

neilthewheel

[/quote]

Bolleaux.

Shouldn’t that be “Brilleaux”?

brooess
    Free Member

I wish more people had that sense of humility and sense of perspective…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just watch it.

Great story and as a Canvey boy really rather special… So glad these Temple films are in existence, feel luck to be able to see my childhood stomping grounds on film…. spent most of my summer days on that beach … crabbing or mud fights (there’s a clip in the film of kids covered in mud) when the tide was out and jumping over the wash from the container ships when the tide was in… travelling around the island along the sea wall (my first mountain bike rides) and in those arcades/fair grounds…. A special place, like he said ? With my rose tinted specs on… yeah.

That scene near the end where he plays his axe for the first time since coming out of hospital and there’s a jetty in the background… give it another 40mins, when the tides is at its highest, and it’ll be safe to jump of that jetty into the water… Happy Days

cheers_drive

I was planning to watch it on my commute day but it didn’t download properly so only caught the first 10 mins. Looking forward to watching the rest having listened to a few interviews with him since he was diagnosed.

voodoo_chile

Quality watch ,so switched on and positive faced with his own mortality …decent player too ….watching it now …

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA: The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson. BBC1 – 10.40 tonight’ is closed to new replies.