Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Can somebody please tell me what clamp size Front Derailleur I need.
    mb

snownrock

Tiagra 10sp group set for £199.99 anyone? Merlin

Are these compatible with BB7?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

MB, 34.9 like it says in the spec on the site? Same as seat clamp?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

thanks

snownrock

For those looking at the shimano rx05 wheels on PX they are £5 cheaper on CRC

The weight though, oof! And c&c hubs

jeff

The BB width on the PX website is wrong. It’s not 73mm it is a 68 mm bottom bracket shell.

PX customer services confirmed this.

Anyone want a 73/113mm square taper BB, brand new 🙁

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

The BB width on the PX website is wrong. It’s not 73mm it is a 68 mm bottom bracket shell.

PX customer services confirmed this.

Anyone want a 73/113mm square taper BB, brand new

yep i can confirm this as i had the same issue ! … I didnt bother to measure it and just installed BB with spacers etc for a 73mm BB only to find a 5mm gap one side ?
    Come on planet X , sort your shit out

ads678

Grum – I’ve gone for this one instead, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/deda-elementi-handlebar-tape/rp-prod121049 in sky blue. We’ll see how close it is when it arrives.
    Yours will still good though.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Desperately avoiding the PX website after drinking here as I will probably go for it!
    Although when Ive had a sensible think and decided its a bargain theyll all be gone….

Anyway 2 questions:

1) Is the Merlin Cross light wheelset worth the upgrade over the Shimano WH-RX05?

2) Has anyone found hydraulic road shifters at a decent price?

I have most of the finishing kit, but the one thing putting me off is that I would like to run it hydraulic and cant get the man maths to work without getting close to the price of a full PX build – which I could also have in my preferred colour……….

Cheers

richardthird

Right, large silver frameset and the 19.99 Wiggle headset ordered 😀

cookeaa

2) Has anyone found hydraulic road shifters at a decent price?

I might be doing a work around of sorts…

I’ve been through the shed and I seem to have lots of spare shimano brakes which would lend themselves to a poormans V-twin bodge something along the lines this:

Or this:

I have plenty of time to do it, and if it’s not successful I will just resort to BB7’s or similar…

monksie
    Free Member

i took this out for a ride today. It’s quite heavy but for a smidge over £340, I’m very happy with it (if somebody could do the picture thing, I’d be very grateful)

shermer75
    Free Member

£340?!? You must have had some of the parts already, right? 🙂

richardthird

Same chainset as me but yeah, more details required! At least we’ve got a built pic tho.

Anyone going for silver finishing kit? (like the pic of the built PX ones even though it lists them as black), tempted myself.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For monksie [waves] 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s9okxw]image[/url] by nichola.davidson, on Flickr

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you Mr M (waves back)
    I had the saddle and stem already. Nothing else. I got a top deal from a really nice forum member.
    I also have a 120mm silver stem and seatpost for £17 posted for the both if anybody does decide to go with the silver parts route.

twonks

hmm, how much of an upgrade would the frame & forks be against a Boardman CX Comp ?

Apart from carbon forks I’m wondering if it is worth the plunge.

The Boardman rides quite well tbh but it is rather portly.

Might just be better spending a bit more on wheels for the comp – but then I could get this frame and then next month the wheels 😆 Damn it.

cookeaa

@ twonks – assuming it’s one of the more recent Disc versions I’m not sure it would actually be worth your while, surely you’d be replacing one aluminium frame with another similar aluminium frame…

Perhaps go look for just a replacement Carbon Fork and maybe lightneing the wheelset?

hooli

Very tempting.

I notice they have the pro carbon for £250 as well.

sq225917
    Free Member

BB Spec updated on the website, sorry fort any inconvenience it m,ay haver caused.

Xylene
    Free Member

The dirty disco bundles look good value

snownrock

@ Twonk, I’m in the exact same boat as you. I was initially drawn by the ‘oooh shiny’ urge, but once common sense (read wife) intervened I have decided to just spend the money on upgrades for the CX.

Just waiting for the Fulcrum Racing Sport CX Disc wheels to come into stock at Ribble. The original wheels on the Boardman are 2.4kg which I think is where most of the bulk comes from. Do love my Comp CX though.

ads678

Does any one know what I need for the gear cables where they go through the cable stops on the down tube? It looks like a cable guide screws in there but I’m struggling to find what they’re called.

cp

Do you mean the barrel adjusters? One each side at the top of the down tube?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/GXPXCARB/planet-x-gear-cable-barrel-adjuster-for-road-bikes

richardthird

ads678 did the Sky Blue bar tape arrive yet?!

ads678

Cp – they’re the ones cheers. Why don’t they supply them with the bike if you need these things!!

Richardthird – yeah, it’s a bit too light but I’m gonna be using it any way so. I’ll post up a pic when I get it built.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Why don’t they supply them with the bike if you need these things!!

penny pinching and trying to frustrate and turn off customers, like not including the £1.99 under-BB cable guide.

I’ll probably be buying chi-chi anodized barrel adjusters from Not Planet X, like everything else that’s going on the frame.

jeff

Why don’t they supply them with the bike if you need these things!!

To be fair, when I bought my Shimano bar end shifters a while back, I’m pretty sure they came with the barrel adjusters but I feel your pain.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Do you mean the barrel adjusters? One each side at the top of the down tube?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/GXPXCARB/planet-x-gear-cable-barrel-adjuster-for-road-bikes
    I did mail them about these when my frame came, as bit pissed off they werent included as standard ?
    its these little things that get peoples backs up !

cp

No road frame I’ve ever bought has had the adjusters, always buy them separately.

ads678

Aah fair enough then. I’ll pick some up tomorrow from the LBS.

ads678

Not quite finished, I still need to add gear cables but still waiting for the cable adjusters. Need to redo the right hand bar tape cos I cocked it up, first time i’d done it though, left side is much better.

I think it looks good, pretty pleased with it. 😀

Not sure whether to get a light blue charge spoon or whether it’d be too much.

[/url]IMAG0192 by Cheryl, on Flickr[/img]

cp

Nice, stick with a black seat though 🙂

richardthird

& level it 😉 Ads, what brakes and where from?

ads678

Saddle angle and height correct now!! 🙂

Brakes are these – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sora-r317-mechanical-disc-brake-caliper/rp-prod120014, but they seem to out of stock now. At CRC any way. They seem pretty good in a ride round the garden sort of way………

richardthird

Thanks Ads, looks like you’ve done your research there. Essentially same as BR-R517 and CX77 but different pad adjustment and a bit heavier, but cheaper.

I’m keen to use Shimanos instead of BB7s, I’m sure they can be as good as the Avids if set up and maintained correctly. And I’m on a budget and want to avoid any red bits 😉

Interesting review here

jeffl

Right. I ordered a standard build BB7 London Road from Planet X a while ago. Picked it up today and took it for it’s first ride, just a quick 15 miler over to the edge of the peaks. Thought people may be interested in knowing what I thought about it.

Probably useful to give a bit of background. I bought this to use instead of my 29er Inbred which I use for communing into Sheffield twice a week at 15 miles each way. Main reason was n+1 and also the inbred was getting worn out and I wasn’t actually doing any MTBing.

So this is my first drop bar road/gravel/cx whatever they’re called at the moment type bike. I ordered an XL in zesty lime as I’m 6′ 5″.

The Ride – with the standard Vittoria tyres the ride on this is great. Running them at 70psi and it “floats” over pretty much anything. I was running Schwalbe marathon + on the inbred as a point of comparison. On the ride this afternoon it was way faster than the inbred. Not a surprise really as it weighs just over 10kg but it felt like moving from a land rover to a hot hatch. I imagine a proper road bike would feel like a Ferrari. I took in a few gravel paths and the odd kerb, being all on trend and that, and it seemed fine.

The biggest thing for me was getting used to the drop bars. But I think I’ll get there eventually.

The Fit – I went for a planet x carbon seatpost as an upgrade. I’m currently running this at pretty much full extension. For me the bars are too low. I need to look at getting a stem with some more rise. Oh and the standard planet x saddle doesn’t agree with my behind. Other than a bit of tweaking it’s pretty good.

I was running flat pedals and I have size 11 feet. I also tend to ride heels in. Only 2 or 3 times did I notice that my left foot caught the end of the chainstay but as soon as I straightened my foot up I stopped doing it. I know a few people have commented about the dropout sticking out but I don’t honestly think it will be a big issue. I did have some toe overlap with the front wheel, but again I think that’s par for the course.

The Kit – So my build had BB7s and SRAM Force 22 gears. The brakes initially wailed like a banshee. They seemed to quieten down by the end of the ride. I’d class them as satisfactory currently, no where near as good as the deore discs on the inbred. I was thinking of going the full SRAM hydro route on the bike but just couldn’t justify it for a commuting bike. Plus comming from a Shimano background I didn’t want to tie myself in to SRAM in case I didnt’ like it.

Which takes me nicely onto the gears. Overall I’m really impressed. The changes are crisp and fast. The only issue I have is that there are no gear indicators. Call me a newbie but I like them on the MTB as I can double check where I am on the rear cassette. The other thing I need to get used to is the double tap. 99% of the time it’s great. However if you’re in the lowest cog at the back and try to change down, you’re not met with any sort of resistance, instead it changes you up a gear, not great. This along with the lack of gear indicators caused me a bit of teeth grinding.

Oh also being spinner rather than a grinder on some of the stepper hills (Curbar gap, Winnats pass etc.) I can see the lack of really low range gearing being a problem for me. As it stands I’m used to spinning up them in the granny.

Overall – As my first drop bar bike I think it’s great. I need to sort out the ride position and contact points a bit but I think that’s normal for any new bike. I also need to get used to the gears. But overall I’m massively impressed with the ride quality and the speed of the thing.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them. Ride details here if anyone cares https://www.strava.com/activities/308941195

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Just seen the bike pic on Strava. No wonder the bars feel low if you’re running that much seatpost. The bike is too small for you. Yep – by all means try a riser stem…

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one Jeff thanks for the write up!! How do you get to see a piccie of the bike? 🙂

jeff

First ride last night. Had a blast on some mixed gravel and rooty singletrack.

Singlespeed, BB7s, Midge bars. Derore cranks. Bash ring (no single ring chainring bolts in the shed!), WTB 29er rims, 40c nano tyres. Flat pedals (for now).

I got lucky – 36×19 fits perfectly with no need for a tensioner. Ratio is probably too low for the flat or on road, but good off road.

Need to get some clipless pedals, fit a shorter stem, sort out lever position and drop tyre pressures!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.