Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Portable BBQ
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Having just bought my campervan I feel it need a portable bbq for those impromptu food sessions.

The Weber range is the obvious one, but any others ?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/

Portable proper bbq using charcoal. Lights quickly, cools down quickly when finished with. Its brilliant.

29erKeith
    Free Member

fold flat one from gooutdoors is good, a fair bit more compact than the webber one which I’m sure is good otherwise but space is important for me when packing to go camping

iolo
    Free Member

Buy 6 of the small disposable foil ones at about 2 pounds each. They are fine for what you need, Once finished pour water on the coals and place in the nearest bin.

EDIT : http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/disposable-charcoal-bbq?gclid=CjgKEAjwoJ-dBRDbjfKN7IzN0FsSJAAP0G_DLJgb_mwGH-W0qeeIyS9BenGvEHQ09nLCiTAxztzuTfD_BwE#fo_c=273&fo_k=01b8b7606a6f5926bcbc2d9236efbbd2&fo_s=gplauk

There you go

ourmaninthenorth

We have the Weber Smokey Joe, albeit it never goes anywhere other than between the garage and the back of the house. Thoroughly recommended, though the kettle shape makes it less easily stored than the Go Anywhere model.

sandwicheater

One of these lives in are car boot with a bag of instant light coal. Can’t fault it.

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/071970-outwell-cazal-portable-grill.html/568036/&cm_mmc=googleshop-_-shopping-_-feed-_-all?mkwid=ri8NkLiE_dc&pcrid=41416031077&gclid=CPDXp9Tkj78CFQrpwgodC1cAxQ

We have a Weber smockey Joe but since getting the above in a pinch the Webber has not had a look in. It just packs down so small that it’s ace.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers all, like the look of the folding one

nedrapier

Got a smokey joe. Used in the garden at home and gets taken away with us camping.

You can take the grill off when you’ve finished cooking and chuck some logs on – makes a very nice fire pit and doesn’t mess up the grass.

andyfla
    Free Member

And the son of hibachi appeals to my inner geek !

convert

A Cobb is great for a campervan in that it uses very little fuel so you can carry two weeks worth of use in next to no space and the outside remains cool to the touch so very easy to stash away if you need to get on the move (after putting out the coals obviously).

Expensive though.

andyfla
    Free Member

You can take the grill off when you’ve finished cooking and chuck some logs on – makes a very nice fire pit and doesn’t mess up the grass.

Nice, like the idea,

rene59
    Free Member

http://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/

More versatile alternative to a traditional BBQ.

Edit: beaten to it!

Saccades
    Free Member

Don’t get the disposabe ones – for every good one you get 4-5 ok ones and 1-2 duff ones.

I got shouted at by my mates for suggesting a cheap small bbq, a bag of charcoal and some lighter fluid and instead we got a stack of disposable ones over the course of a week (we were not too sure of the weather and if we were going to have bbq’s or not) and they made it a right effort to cook anything but some snags/burgers.

ourmaninthenorth

Nice, like the idea,

Likewise. Never thought to do that.

Am definitely going to need a bigger car, or even a campervan like the OP..!

andyfla
    Free Member

Expensive though.

I have just bought a campervan, so it would seem cheap !

jota180
    Free Member

Old baking tray, thing that you put cakes on to cool and 2 or more bricks

chewkw
    Free Member

convert – Member

A Cobb is great for a campervan in that it uses very little fuel so you can carry two weeks worth of use in next to no space and the outside remains cool to the touch so very easy to stash away if you need to get on the move (after putting out the coals obviously).

Expensive though.

You bet. Very good idea but greedy marketing will kill off this product in no time.

🙄

iolo
    Free Member

http://landscaping.wonderhowto.com/how-to/turn-old-washing-machine-drum-into-awesome-outdoor-fire-pit-0141630/

We made a washing machine drum bbq that worked well. I think the drum cost a tenner from the repair shop down the road.

IHN

The foldy ones as above are great.

eskay

Another vote for the folding ones from Go Outdoors. Mine is in its third or fourth season now and still going strong. When we go camping I usually cook on it every day.

When finished empty it out and fold it up. I then put it in a thick bin liner and put that inside another bin liner (with the mouth at the opposite end to the first bin liner).

I have used the disposable ones but I find the grill is way too close to the coals and it is difficult to cook things well on them.

retrorick

I use a fold flat bbq like the one in the link above and it works great when camping. Only paid £13 from one of the cheap discount stores that live on retail parks across the land.
    I bought a cage type handle grill thing for holding the sausages and other foods also which worked really well also.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The foldy ones as above are great.

Asda a couple of years ago had them for about £10. WD40 on the hinges every so often and they’re fine. very compact and nothing fancy.
    Cobbs are great but consume more space and money

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers All, more investigations now

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m going to nominate this:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Move-It-BBQ/34-8804

they’re ace, cook well and can be used for off the heat cooking with care, pack up into a little suitcase shape and have enough space for 4-5 people’s worth of food at a time plus they’re only £25.

IHN

That does look good.

lemonysam
    Free Member
    Milkie
    Free Member

This is the one I have:

It works very well, can get extremely hot and can handle quite a lot of meat at once. I cook for 6 people on it without a problem.

EDIT: I notice they now do a slightly smaller lower profile one, which may suit you better.

freddyg
    Free Member

Lidl have the fold flat ones in for about £15. Looks exactly the same as the Outwell one listed above.

PrinceJohn

I’ve got one of the folding ‘notebook’ bbqs & it’s very good, however, I’ve found it sometimes draws too much air & burns the charcoal a little too quick & it’s warped from the heat, so doesn’t fold up quite as neatly now.

I quite like the look of these ones next –

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/be/esbit-stainless-steel-folding-bbq-97120028

ourmaninthenorth

The Clas Ohlson one linked to by lemonysam looks just like the Weber Go Anywhere. Could be a great option.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The Clas Ohlson one linked to by lemonysam looks just like the Weber Go Anywhere. Could be a great option.

Very similar indeed but a little less headroom so not quite as good for joints.

edit: they’re not as well made to be fair but then they’re less than half the price.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Portable BBQ’ is closed to new replies.