Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Persuade me NOT to cancel my subscription to Singletrack…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

My interest in the magazine has been waning these last months. Last issue picked up with the interview with Isla Rowntree, but on glancing through this issue has 3 major negative points in my mind.

1) Group test of £1000 full-sussers. No thanks, I’d buy WMB if I wanted that.
    2) Calender: Would be so much better if all the pics were from Signletrack staff/contributor, showing the riding the 99% of the readers know and love. I was hoping you might improve on the last few year’s. The full-page adverts are just a bit cheesy (and knog? WTF?). I know they pay, but they’re cr@p. And while I’m at it, decent weight paper would be nice too.
    3) First Rule of the Caldbeck Fells: Nobody talks about the Caldbeck Fells. Shhhh…..

I got into the magazine for the articles on developing technology in mountain bikes, articles on the kind of riding i like, lack of adverts and basically covering the stiff that the rest of the bike press didn’t.

I realise there will still be a good size target audience with the content as it is now, but I no longer seem to be in it.

Should I save the cash?

beaker

I haven’t seen the latest mag yet but do they test four bikes or more than four? They usually test four bikes and in this issue it’s four at the grand mark. Hardly makes it WMB does it?
    The calendar comes out once a year, hardly makes it the deal breaker over renewing a sub. Not sure about your last comment.

It sounds to me like you’ve made your mind up.

globalti
    Free Member

I haven’t read it for a few years now but the last time I picked one up in a newsagent I didn’t like the look of it; it seemed to have gone more mainstream with fussy, busy page design. In the early days STW was quite austere, very boutique, glossy and heavy and carried very little advertising. Didn’t Chipps once make some kind of promise in an editorial that there would never be more than a certain percentage of adverts?

wors

I let my subscription lapse this time, haven’t really found anything that enjoyable to read over the last few issues so i didn’t bother renewing.

druidh
    Free Member

TBH, I only really subscribe as a way of supporting the forum. In recently changed it to “digital” and this’ll be the last printed mag I get. I reckon that some of the forthcoming Premier-Only features will make it worthwhile.

stumpyjon

I dropped my MBR subscription a few months back, have to say Singletrack might go the same way. Just haven’t found a lot interesting in it recently, maybe it’s me, haven’t been riding much recently either.

cupra
    Free Member

I ditched it a good while ago, actually contacted stw and cancelled it. I haven’t missed it tbh. It wasn’t reflecting the riding that I do or my budget. Don’t subscribe to any mags now, possibly more me than stws fault as such.

Jamie
    Free Member

…but @singletrackmag seem so positive!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was a subscriber for years but found that I was less interested in every issue that came through the door to the point that I was having a flick through it, maybe reading a couple of articles and uninterested in the rest. I don’t miss it.

Picked a copy up in tesco the other day and didn’t feel any desire to buy. Just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

But again it’s possibly more a reflection on me than stw – a classic ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ break up I guess.

ski
    Free Member

Stopped my subs some time ago, had every copy from 1-67, which now, I have passed onto another family member who is getting into mtbing, so at least the all went on to a good home.

BTW, I don’t think there is anything wrong with the magazine, I have just moved on, that’s all.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

persuade me not to cancel my subscription to Singletrack

because if you do, grumpy Mark will give this number a phone and get ST ‘customer services’ involved…

toby1

Beautiful photography (generally) wordy and creative articles (moreso than the nearest competitors). A group of people who are really interested in their field rather than just doing it to get up a corporate ladder or to pay the bills.

A forum we all use way too much of the time and many take for granted.

And all for less than the price of a pint per month (on or off subs).

Yeah you should probably not bother, it’ll save you ….

tomaso
    Free Member

I found the £1,000 bike test (3 bikes) an enjoyable read and while they commented on the budget components they did just get on and ride the bikes and have some fun. Where as MBR and WMB continue to whinge about such short comings they D R I V E M E U P T H E W A L L with their spoilt journalist opinions.

The calendar is a bit hit and miss and Knog advert is a crap as last year.

Not read the Caldbeck Fells article yet, pretty pictures though…

The Mike Ferrentino column wasn’t bad.

hora
    Free Member

tomaso I agree to a point but for me something that costs a grand should have pretty good forks on it. Alot seem to be recon etc etc.

jon1973
    Free Member

Why do you need someone to persuade you? you either like it or you don’t.

DavidB
    Free Member

It feels to me as if it just can’t make it’s mind up as to what it wants to be. Almost trying to be the best bits of all the other mags out there in places. The Sram article had a touch of the Rouleur about it.

I let my Privateer sub lapse, but will probably renew STW as I tend to find at least one piece of inspiration per issue which justifies the price.

hora
    Free Member

Dirt mag. Seems to crest and fall. Some months its amazing, thick and can take ages to complete, then alternative months its thin, light on content etc.

The latest thin one seems to coincide with the 2012 Dirt awards mag so you can see there would have been alittle robbed content/overlap…

Simply do what I do – I alternate between Dirt and STW depending on the WHSmiths flick-check.

woody2000

Here’s a thought, why not get in touch with the guys at the mag and tell them what you’d like to see? They might be happy for the feedback.

Do you need help in the supermarket deciding which kind of bog roll to buy? 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mine turned up in the post this morning and I still have the last two issues waiting to be read, so I’ve been asking myself the same question. The thing is, I find little to inspire me in the other mags that I used to love buying and reading, so I don’t see it as any reflection on the mags themselves, just that I’m not quite so into the scene at the moment. With that said, I don’t think the quality of the articles is as high as it once was.

Mounty_73

I dropped What MTB, so only this morning I was looking at the 15 quid option for digital subs….

chutney13
    Free Member

Don’t cancel

phil.w
    Free Member

Beautiful photography (generally) wordy and creative articles (moreso than the nearest competitors). A group of people who are really interested in their field rather than just doing it to get up a corporate ladder or to pay the bills

Talking about Dirt mag there aren’t you.

footflaps

I only keep subscribing as its on DD, can’t say I really find that much of interest to read in it these days. I remember it being much more interesting a few years back – far more interesting bikes were reviewed back then.

sefton
    Free Member

I don’t read it anymore – boring! rolling commentary on a ride (describing the terrain, clouds and finishing with a beer) no thanks!

best bike mag by far – Peloton. I believe they do a mtb mag too!

Here’s a thought, why not get in touch with the guys at the mag and tell them what you’d like to see? They might be happy for the feedback

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/come-on-then-winge-bags-what-do-you-want-to-read-in-st

check this post out!

druidh
    Free Member

sefton – Member
    I don’t read it anymore – boring! rolling commentary on a ride (describing the terrain, clouds and finishing with a beer)

Brill! Though some posters on here seem to do a better job of it – occasionally.

binners

Ok. I didn’t want to do this, but you’ve driven me to it. In light of today’s heated debate, I think we should call it the ‘nuclear option’! I want you to picture a nightmare future where the forum is no more. Done away with after canceled magazine subs failed to support it any longer

Disgruntled ‘Big Hitters’ wander the internet like the zombies in Shaun of the dead, desperately searching for a forum to shout their pointless, cyclical arguments, and air their barely educated entrenched views. Their ceaseless desire for public acknowledgment drives them like a crack whore to ever greater desperation

In panic, Mumsnet and the Guardian shut their forums down once the news is released of the tribe of marauding middle-aged fat blokes. Facebook share price plummets on the mere suspicion they may turn up there. The Daily Telegraph wakes from its slumber. Just in case!

Then… THEN… the situation everyone feared! The one nobody was really ready for. The one nobody thought could happen. THEY HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR KEYBOARDS AND ENGAGE WITH THE PUBLIC

Screams can be heard emerging from pubs, as they waddle in, senses dimmed by years spent huddled over a monitor, to be heard muttering “and another fuggin thing…..”

Their already pathetic social skills shriveled by the endless, consequence-free spouting of utter garbage. Some are punched within seconds of opening the front door.

Do you want this on your conscience?! DO YOU?!

If you can live with that, then go on. Cancel your subscription. On your head be it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Beautiful photography

Really? The pics were the worst bit of ST IMO. Some of the arty ones were technicaly good, but the riding ones were a bit pants TBH.

hora
    Free Member

I missed this gem from that link. Funny 😆

It’s perfect as it is:
    – if you live in Todmorden / Hebden Bridge
    – if you like riding down steps
    – if you like riding shitty bikes covered in tents and stuff across a Third World country and enjoy seeing photos of poor local kids pawing over your crappy bike, as if it is some sort of metallic Jesus that’s just walked out of a spaceship
    – if you know one or more of the people who write for it and/or ride with them occasionally
    – if you enjoy interviews with people who have vague links to cycling “Next month: Interview with Rupert Fleming, grandson of the inventor of the toe strap”

To be fair, I buy it and sometimes read over half of it. Occasionally, I like a couple of the articles.
    Their tagline could be “Singletrack: Not as good as Dirt but better than MBUK, MBR and WMB”

hora
    Free Member

Have another 😆 its rare that your that funny Stopa 😉

sefton
    Free Member

I always think the photography is like the emperors new clothes – it mostly looks awful but then makes me think…maybe I know nothing about photography? maybe its amazing?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not read the Caldbeck Fells article yet

Neither have I, but the title alone sent shivers down my spine. It was the only quiet bit of the Lakes. I spend a lot of time there (in-laws are from Caldbeck) and i like it that way.

I suspect its me that’s moved on. My passion for cycling has changed from being focussed on just mountain biking to covering pretty much all of it.

But I really don’t care about tests of cheap bikes. They’re only useful when someone says to me, “you know about bikes, what should I buy?” in which case I can tel them to buy the magazine.

DezB
    Free Member

Excuse me, but if ir_bandito was actually a subscriber, wouldn’t he be

[p] ir_bandito ??

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Then… THEN… the situation everyone feared! The one nobody was really ready for. The one nobody thought could happen. THEY HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR KEYBOARDS AND ENGAGE WITH THE PUBLIC

Screams can be heard emerging from pubs, as they waddle in, senses dimmed by years spent huddled over a monitor, to be heard muttering “and another fuggin thing…..”

Their already pathetic social skills shriveled by the endless, consequence-free spouting of utter garbage. Some are punched within seconds of opening the front door.

😆

I love you, Binners.

Actually, if you wrote for the mayg, I might buy it. 😀

epicyclo

druidh +1

I don’t bother to read articles where the photos show bikes in the air, or doing other trail park stuff. We’ve already got MBUK etc for that.

Totally not interested in “here we are in the Alps/Pyrenees and took a bus up to the top of this big hill and then did heroic stuff on the way down”.

I like routes, maps, bivvying type articles. Technical articles by people with the knowledge (eg Brant) as opposed to revamped advertorial on the latest copy of a 4 bar suspension.

New product info is good so long as it is made clear that any claims are just that (unless it has been tested).

I would like a magazine good enough to keep for reference. Mine has been getting binned.

Edit: brilliant Binners! 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

where the forum is no more…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TarrSrx4v0[/video]

pitduck
    Free Member

used to be(Beautiful photography (generally) wordy and creative articles (moreso than the nearest competitors)sadly no more 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

wordy and creative articles

this is what I miss

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does the £1000 bike review recommend a bike suitable for my 10 year old niece’s Xmas present? 😉

GrahamS

Just go digital-only.

Gives you something else to read when the forum is quiet and you’re pretending to work 😀

Mark

ir_bandito I notice you are not Premier’d up yet. Have you seen the xtras you get for being a subscriber? Just head for http://www.singletrackworld.com/upgrade to activate your account.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Persuade me NOT to cancel my subscription to Singletrack…’ is closed to new replies.