Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Only in America….
  • johndoh
    Free Member

A Manhattan human resources manager is suing her 12-year-old nephew for leaping into her arms when he welcomed her to his eighth birthday party.

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she reportedly said.

Linkity link

convert

She is seeking $127,000 in damages from the boy, whose mother died last year.

Either a clever way to get some money from the family’s insurers (would household insurance pay out for that in the states?) for the boy who has lost his mother or a very low deed to cash in on her sister’s life insurance payout. Hoping it’s the former.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I can well believe that a damaged wrist would negatively impact the life of a HR manager …
    Wow. Just wow.

nealglover
    Free Member

…a clever way to get some money from the family’s insurers

I would certainly hope it’s this.

tomhoward

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she reportedly said.

was she not blessed with 2 wrists/hands?

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t know but let’s all say horrible things about people we don’t know doing a thing we don’t understand.

wrecker
    Free Member

Whatever.

Jennifer Connell told the jury that she loves her nephew, and he has always been “very loving” and “sensitive” to her, but she believes he should be held responsible for her injuries.

I think she’s complete scum.

LeeW

Are you new here Kona?

tinybits
    Free Member

And only in America would it fail to get a payout….

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=9549933

Ok, hopefully in a lot of countries there wouldn’t be a payout.

Drac

A Manhattan human resources manager

Yup that’s in America.

footflaps

I think she’s complete scum.

+1

eddie11
    Free Member

…or maybe canada

yep, sounded like a ruse to me to transfer money or generate money or scam money or avoid tax or something

edhornby

New York Star won the internet prize of the day

they referred to her as “The Auntie-christ” 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

😀

JAG

konabunny +1

“Judge not lest ye be judged” 🙂

hugo
    Free Member

The jury chucked it out after 25 minutes.

I imagine the “difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvres plate” line didn’t go down too well.

takisawa2

I honestly thought it was a wind up, especially after the hors d’oeuvres plate comment… 🙂

As the OP said, only in America.
    Land of the free etc, etc.

edlong
    Free Member

a very low deed to cash in on her sister’s life insurance payout

That appears the most likely, given the timing. Can’t see any other reason an 8, 9, 10 or 11 year old wasn’t worth suing, but a newly bereaved 12 year old is…

Poor kid.

hugo
    Free Member

We shouldn’t (even though it’s entertaining) stereotype all Americans as aggressively litigious, greedy and ignorant.

This woman is however certainly is, and I’m sure she has disgraced herself amongst her family, friends, and community. Horrible for the kid, but the tone of the article backs up the tone here. She’s nasty pondlife either side of the pond.

garlic
    Free Member

This case is one of those strange anomalies when you have a libertarian, ‘anyone can sue anyone for anything’ culture. It works a lot of the time but cases like this and constant high school shootings are a byproduct, along with a deregulated food market and the obesity problem.

tang
    Free Member

I can well believe that a damaged wrist would negatively impact the life of a HR manager …

I’ve had a few tossers in HR for sure.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can he counter-sue?
    Go on kid, **** her up.

MSP

If I was the judge, I would have been very tempted to sentence her to some jail time for contempt just for bringing such an idiotic case to court.

Kryton57

tang – Member
    I’ve had a few tossers in HR for sure.

😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The nephew was probably fat, all Americans are fat aren’t they?

Just thought I would insult the boy as you lot had been doing a grand job on the woman

MrsToast
    Free Member

The most charitable conclusion is that it was action forced by her medical insurers (sometimes they won’t pay for medical costs if an injury was caused by a third party, unless the injured party takes legal action against them). Worst case is that she’s a colossal bitch after a cut of her nephew’s inheritance.

soobalias
    Free Member

‘anyone can sue anyone for anything’ culture. It works a lot of the time but cases like this and constant high school shootings are a byproduct, along with a deregulated food market and the obesity problem.

well that escalated quickly.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Jennifer Connell told the jury that she loves her nephew, and he has always been “very loving” and “sensitive” to her,

Not any longer me thinks.

Disgraceful behaviour whatever her reasons.

Although hurt, Connell said, she didn’t tell her nephew the extent of her injuries. “It was his birthday party, and I didn’t want to upset him,” she told the jury.

She thought she’d wait a bit to lessen the blow, you know, until after his mum died. She probably thought suing him would take his mind off the loss of his mum. It was actually a truly loving and altruistic act. 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

The most charitable conclusion is that it was action forced by her medical insurers

Even in America I don’t think it costs $127,000 to treat a broken wrist. According to this;
    http://health.costhelper.com/sprained-broken-wrist.html
    Even with surgery, it will cost $10k max. So however you look at it, she’s a slimebag.
    Edit; examples of $20k there. Still $100k short though.

martinhutch

doubleypost

mikewsmith
    Free Member

America the nation the believes that the rights of the individual are very important unless they disagree with you, the right to exist without the control of the state and do what you want but sue if you get hurt. It’s properly screwed, if it was in the middle east we would probably be looking at the oil and considering liberating the population.

martinhutch

Even with surgery, it will cost $10k max. So however you look at it, she’s a slimebag.

But what about the consequential loss of vol-au-vents and little sausages on sticks?

Plus, it might have been her box-ticking hand, which would be devastating for any HR professional.

crankboy
    Free Member

25 minutes to verdict the jury scarcely gave it time to elect a foreman and all have a wee.

johndoh
    Free Member

Her dropping of vol-au-vents on her friends and colleagues carpets might have resulted in subsequent lawsuits claiming for damage – perhaps she was anticipating that?

poly
    Free Member

Why are we saying it is only in America that this would happen? I see no reason it couldn’t happen here with exactly the same outcome.

nach
    Free Member

Treatment plus legal fees though:

crankboy
    Free Member

Nach both the published jury verdict and the TV interview with the juror contradict the social media post. The boy was not found liable according to those sources the ” other ” thread on here had a link to the signed verdict.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why are we saying it is only in America that this would happen? I see no reason it couldn’t happen here with exactly the same outcome.

Cos no-one would sue a kid for real. It’s a ruse, driven by the fact her medical insurance didn’t pay out and she was on the hook for ten grand.

Cougar

Just spotted this, from the horse’s mouth:

http://www.thecanary.co/2015/10/19/real-culprit-behind-worst-aunt-ever-sued-nephew/

Speaking on the Today Show, Jennifer Connell explained that her medical insurance wouldn’t pay out until a legal verdict had been obtained on the nature of the accident. This left her in the uncomfortable position of either having to fund all her healthcare bills out of her own pocket, sue her nephew aggressively to get his parents’ insurance to pay out, or sue half-heartedly with the hope of losing, which would trigger her insurance to cover the costs. She took the option that would save her relatives’ insurance being hammered but not bankrupt her either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Only in America….’ is closed to new replies.