Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • on one scandal/inbred 29er rigid and single speed, madness?
  • misterdun
    Free Member

Hi,

I am looking at a new build for a short daily commute and weekend riding in Thetford forest (so nothing too extreme). I already ride a full suss 26 anthem and this would be my first foray into 29ers and single speed. I like the look of the scandal for its weight and want to keep things simple (and cheap as possible) including a carbon fork. Does anyone ride a similar setup as most builds seem to be geared or running a suspension fork. I guess I am concerned about this setup being too hardcore?

theotherjonv

Just did 2.5 hours on my as inbred 29er in the Surrey hills and sitting here in the afterglow of a nice sunny ride. They’re fab, get one and if you hate it (you won’t) then someone on here will have it in a flash.

misterdun
    Free Member

thanks Jon. do you run the carbon fork?

thomthumb
    Free Member

SS scandal is my favourite. ride rigid most of the time too. great bikes.

misterdun
    Free Member

I think another problem is deciding between the steel or alu frame!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Got gears on my scandal at the moment and tbh for riding at cannock I prefer ss – much less thinking required!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I think another problem is deciding between the steel or alu frame!

i had a 26″ inbred ss before the scandal.

inbred gives a bit more; but flexes a bit more under power. scandal is obviously lighter. i’d buy the colour you like best.

markenduro
    Free Member

The scandal rides very similar to the inbred, I would go for the scandal though as it is lighter, the paint won’t fall off and the tapered heartbeat will give you plenty of options in future should you want to run a sustainable fork (straight steerer 29er forks are getting fairly rare now). The carbon rigid fork is fairly compliant.

misterdun
    Free Member

I like your way of thinking thomthumb. The inbred looks great in apple sauce green but the scandal looks fantastic in super raw.

bigshep
    Free Member

My 21″ Scandal 29er arrived yesterday and they do look the nuts in the super raw finish. Just wish I could find a compatible headset.
    They’ve also lost the water bottle mounts on the seat tube that used to interfere with the mech clamp, not a problem for you if you’re ss though.
    You will however need to buy the ss swap out as they don’t supply one with the frame.

chainslapp
    Free Member

bigshep, what fork are you going to be running?

bigshep
    Free Member

Firstly apologies to misterdun for hijacking your thread, but it may be of interest to you as well.
    I’ve got a set of tapered reba’s, the problem I’m having is all the local shops telling me to buy the on one mixer headset, I was kind of hoping to buy a hope internal tapered headset but very unsure if it will fit?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Ive just fitted an On One Smoothie and it feels really good. Im running ordinary forks though.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I can really recommend a fully rigid 29er Scandal with S/S or running gears like I am at the moment,but it doesn’t take long to change back to S/S!

misterdun
    Free Member

I saw your build on bike radar, that is one sweet looking ride! What size frame is that?

ski
    Free Member

Been commuting on a ss inbred 29er using on-one carbon forks for the last year only change I have made is running cx tires in the summer, which changes the gearing too

Mixture of singletrack canal path and cheeky, it been great but still miss my Pompino which was a real blast to commute on.

tk46hal
    Free Member

misterdun, 16″ frame, but if your wanting to build a rigid 29er, I’ve got a spare 16″ frame! 😉

tk46hal
    Free Member

Here is the same bike running it 1 x 10 and with my new lighter Alligator rotors!

theotherjonv

Yes rigid. It’s the law, surely, for as 29ers?

mralexbenn
    Free Member

Are those the exotic carbon forks? If so what axle to crown height are they as they look spot on. Cheers

cobba
    Free Member

Large Inbred in Apple Green running 32/20 with rigid steel forks.Done 250 miles over Cannock Chase on it since January and cannot fault it.Cable brakes help me keep momentum up.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Exotic forks with a 42.5cm length.

Sam

rigid ss 29ers are wonderful things – I’d recommend a Singular rather than an on one though 🙂

theotherjonv

So would I. Unfortunately I only had inbred money at the time so went for their special deal with the intention to upgrade in time. Swift is high on the list, also like the salsa…….

johnnystorm

I’ve done a lot of Thetford rides on a Chameleon I’ve converted to SS rigid. Not a 29er or the bikes you’ve mentioned but I’ve enjoyed it. Just gone 29 with a Canyon, was thinking of going down same route as you though.

misterdun
    Free Member

Thanks tk but I think a 16″ would be too small for me. What made you choose the CC Exotic fork over the On One version? The on one only seems to come in one length, I assume that is the correct length to use but is it the same for all frame sizes (sorry I am not too up on geometry). I like the look of the Singular frames and the Genesis frames too but the budget has been set unfortunately.

Northwind

I chose Exotic purely on price tbh! But they’ve proved very good (I’m using 29er ones on a 26-wheeled bike just because they gave the ride height I wanted) Bit of obvious fore/aft flex on hard braking but it’s never really a problem, and the tradeoff is a fairly soft feel as these things go.

chainslapp
    Free Member

misterdun, email me as I may have something of interest?

tk46hal
    Free Member

I preferred the look of the Exotic forks over the O/O’s.The high gloss finish sold it to me.The fork lengths for 29er’s are pretty much around the same if your building a specific 29er normally 465mm to 470mm.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘on one scandal/inbred 29er rigid and single speed, madness?’ is closed to new replies.