Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • GT85… where to stick it.
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

As an engineer i understand how important lubrication is on metal to metal parts. Thing is, our bikes have a tonne of seals and grease that you dont want to contaminate. So where do you actually use the stuff? Do you spray it into all the nooks n krannies?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I spray it round the house as an air freshener.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Spray it on the disc rotors. Helps clean ’em.

Taff
    Free Member

Spray everywhere! Soak the chain to avoid rust spots, down tube to avoid mud at sticking. Don’t necessarily spray pivots full pelt but enough for water dispersion

jambo13
    Free Member

I don’t spray it anywhere I want to stay water tight!!

scaredypants

behind each ear before I go out – drives the muddy boys wild

danjthomas
    Free Member

in other words, use it as a chain lube or dont bother as its ***t. my thoughts exactly. Although, i find if you fancy dodgy skin on your hands it comes in pretty handy.

It handy for cleaning mud out of the corner if your eye too, epecially with that straw.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I use it on gear cables and the front and rear mechs. Occaisionaly on seat clamp and pedal spindles. I avoid it near bearings.

Bregante

Nowt better for making anodised frames nice and sparkly though

P20

Its good for putting on grips

steezysix
    Free Member

I don’t really bother with it any more – generally silicon spray does just as good a job, and doesn’t cock up seals, bearings, etc.

druidh
    Free Member

Front and rear mechs – that’s about it.

robhughes
    Free Member

Same as steezysix.
    Ditched it along time ago for silicon spray…just sniff it now… 😉

Northwind

Good on mechs. Not at all bad as a penetrating lubricant on sticky bolts. OK as a mud-shedder or paintwork cleaner. Pretty damn poor as a chainlube. Not much use anywhere else.

juiced
    Free Member

I’d never found a use for it really. Suppose it’s ok for removing stickers and cleaning some bits.

kudos100
    Free Member

When a component is stuck, I spray a bit on it before hitting it with a hammer. I’m not sure it does anything, but it smells nice.

user-removed
    Free Member

I also soak my mechs in the stuff as part of my post ride ritual, then work it in before wiping most of it back off again…

Chain gets Finish Line Winter lube all year round ‘cos i have a couple of huge bottles I bought in a sale and it seems to work just fine 🙂

wallop

It’s a good firelighter.

SBrock
    Free Member

I use it for front, rear mechs, cassette and buff up,the black components on my bike after a wash like seat post, bars etc. I also uses it in my car interior for a the plastic bits.

widge34
    Free Member

I use it on rear mech and soak chain after a wet ride or a bike wash with it.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I spray it all over my 450 enduro bike when I’ve washed it to stop the water corroding the engine casing. I also spray it on a rag and wipe my frame over when I’ve given it a really good clean, but that’s about once every 6 months to be honest.

iainc

post wash water disperser, but avoid suspension, seals, brake levers etc. Also good for mechs. stops stem bolts etc rusting. Spray liberally around garage regularly for the smell 😆

starsh78
    Free Member

Who said its good for putting on grips?

its only good for the bin.

variflex
    Free Member

Post ride I use it on crank and front mech, rear mech and cassette. Also use it to drive water out of the chain post wash, then wipe down chain and apply lube ready for next ride.

Wouldnt use it on anything else really apart from paint work. Be careful though as its very easy to contaminate pads which can get expensive.

My bikes always look like new after every ride.

Northwind

I wouldn’t use it to put on grips, it doesn’t flash off clean- it’ll leave oil and ptfe under the grip. Isopropyl alcohol makes much more sense.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member

This is, virtually word for word, something a mate said to me in all seriousness recently.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good at dispersing water after washing and for cleaning stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

This is, virtually word for word, something a mate said to me in all seriousness recently.

are you sure he isn’t after your missus?

I use it on front and rear deraileurs and for cleaning my rims around the spokes after washing (as it drives out water and stops corrosion of the nipples!). Works well for freeing up sticky derailleur pivots.

Also use it on SPD mechanisms. Use the spray grease version (green can) inside shifters – works very well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It works very well at getting grease & oil out of cream carpets.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Not required or useful anywhere for properly maintaining a bicycle.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I was waiting in the carpark at Brechfa a while back and watched some guy give his whole bike a gentle misting of GT85, brakes included, then put on his helmet and ride off up the hill. All his mates on much more expensive bikes didn’t seem to bat an eyelid at it. I’m guessing that maybe there’s a joke on him that he didn’t get…

And what do I do with it? Don’t own any.. Can’t stand the smell.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

+1 for firelighter. I used it to help lauch the new year lanterns in the high winds. What could possibly go wrong? The burning bushes were quite biblical!

Its great for post-wash frame shining. The smell is so comforting. I keep it away from greasy bits. No good as chain lube of course. I

elaineanne
    Free Member

Dont get it anywhere your brake pads. They will be defunked.lol.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I mainly use it as a polish and spray my mechs with it. Why is it so bad to use near seals and bearings etc?

devs
    Free Member

Why is it so bad to use near seals and bearings etc?

It’s a penetrant that dissolves grease. It penetrates past the seals and dissolves the grease on your bearings. When it’s gone it’s gone. Rust and wear and bad things happen!

Northwind

devs – Member

When it’s gone it’s gone

Where does it go?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

MTB Chainlube is surely the biggest case of emperor’s new clothes since well, the proverbial. You need to lube a chainsaw, you need to lube a moto chain, you need to lube a timing chain. You could literally take a piss on your MTB chain and it would be sufficiently lubed.

johnhe

Mmmmm my randomjeremy. That sounds like bollocks to me. I tried not luring my chain for a year, and broke about 4 chains. Haven’t broken one in about 5 years since I started lubing them.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

GT85 the only lubricant you need for external lubrication.

It does what it says on the tin.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like three fish says.

I don’t use it on the bike at all, but I have a decanted pot that I use to ‘dip’ my chains in after I’ve purged the degreaser with a garden hose.

It gets the water out and I can lube straight over the top. With the chain hanging off of a nail it does a fine job of carrying the water and remaining muck into a pot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘GT85… where to stick it.’ is closed to new replies.