Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • nokia lumia anybody
  • sam69
    Free Member

anybody got the above phone?what do you think to it?

nick3216
    Free Member

/tumbleweed

nick3216
    Free Member

it got a favourable initial review

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/10/review_nokia_lumia_800_windows_phone_7_mango_smartphone/

but then after a couple of months he was remarking that the font rendering was so shit he ended up using the phone less just because it was unpleasant to read

Sales have not set the world alight

chojin
    Free Member

Ok I’ll bite.

I had one, I liked aspects of it, the design and to an extent WP7 as well, but I soon traded it in as I was getting a bit narked with the lack of apps and the constant bugs. Nokia are slow to respond with updates to fix said bugs – highly frustrating.
    What apps there are, are of rubbish quality and massively overpriced compared to android/iOS. Angry birds for example is free or at most 69p on other platforms, it’s about a fiver on WP7.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I was given one by Nokia to use and promote and I hated it. I gave up after a month of forcing myself to use it and then went back to my Galaxy S2. Android or iOS are much better and more mature platforms that WP 7.5

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Writing on one now.

Sorry that font thing is rubbish, it has the best quality/clarity of any mobile screen I’ve seen, fonts are not an issue at all.

What chojin says about bugs is true, but issues are slowly being resolved. Stupidly the phone has been rushed to market before being fully developed. There are plenty of apps now, yes some are quite expensive, but all the ones I use are free as they were on Android.

Weirdnumber why are android or apple so much better? WP is bliss after Android which feels disjointed and crude in comparison. The phone is slick and fast in operation.

My annoyances with it are poor battery life, a 12hr day if your lucky, no tethering, and poor camera, no direct usb connectability. However for all its faults I don’t want to get rid of it as the phone is very well made, looks great and the OS user interface is so good.

The Lumia is less than perfect, however I won’t be changing, and the next generation should be amazing.

PePPeR

My Daughters had three of the damm things! They’ve been the worst phone she’s ever had! They just keep shutting down and won’t fire back up again, the one time was because I was holding it and was just starting to link it to our wifi network, it froze and died in my hand like a baby pigeon! 😉

When it is running it does seem pretty good, it just does have some serious glitches!

chriswilk
    Free Member

Just got one, seems good so far but only had it one day

weirdnumber
    Free Member

@FunkyDunc I hate the way it has no storage card support, cant be used as a mass storage device, and doesn’t support bluetooth file transfer. It had no tethering or hotspot support when I was using it although I gather this has come or is coming with an update.
    I dislike WP7’s lack of customisability and although it looks slick (it does short demos well) I don’t actually like the way that menu’s are laid out. My GS2 is completely customised to the way I want. Admittedly it takes time to do that but thats what I like.
    WP7’s app store is pitiful. iOS is light years ahead in terms of content and pricing and Android is not far behind. By comparison WP7 is terrible.

It’s a handset that I dislike selling because it often results in customers coming back later and expressing that they would have preferred to get an iPhone or Android device after seeing their friends devices, and I hate the way that many just turn off and don’t turn back on.

Perhaps I dislike the device and platform more than most but its because I had agreed to use one and was frustrated day in and day out when using it, knowing that I had access to much better devices.

I agree though that the screen is very nice, not the nicest I have seen but splendid nonetheless.
    If you like it and are happy then fair play to you. There are lots of phones out there for different tastes, the Lumia 800 is not to mine.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I dont have a Lumia, but a year or so old HTC Trophy 7, which uses the same WP7.5 operating system. I love it, and would deffinetly get another Windows phone. So much faster and slicker than a Blackberry and I’ve never gotten on with Android. I’d even stick with it over iOS as well. People complain about the lack of Apps, but I reckon the store has more than the BB one, but its never been an issue for me.

CountZero

People complain about the lack of Apps, but I reckon the store has more than the BB one, but its never been an issue for me.

That wouldn’t be difficult… 😈

teethgrinder

N9! What the Lumia is based on and doesn’t have WinPho on it.

And whils the N9 and N900 before it don’t have many apps, that also means there isn’t 15926 fart apps.

konabunny
    Free Member

The BB app store is crap.

They’re offering the Lumia with a free 30 day return for any reason here. This makes me immediately assume they’re crap.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I had one , it was very good if you like to have instant access to individual peoples comings and goings ( by far the best ‘integration of ” timeline” on any platform) .Yes the apps are poor but give them a chance it hasnt been around half as long as android or iOS . The screens are usually very bright and responsive and the interface, although not too customisable is fast and easy to use. The lack of memory card might be an issue to some if your carrying around all your music, but 16 gig is realistically enough for most people. I thoroughly enjoyed mine especially after debranding it and putting in a modified rom, all things you HAD to do to android and iOS ( jailbreak ) a while ago. So I see the phone as a good entry which gives people a decent option for something different . Phew 😉

IA

I gave up after a month of forcing myself to use it and then went back to my Galaxy S2. Android or iOS are much better and more mature platforms that WP 7.5

Just as a counter point to this, I ended up sticking with the lumia, in the same situation.

However, if I want the fiddling of Android… I dev. on android for work so I have devices to use there.

I’m a big nokia music fan on the lumia.

At the end of the day, it has its pros and cons, like all phones. Different strokes for different folks…

Angry birds for example is free or at most 69p on other platforms, it’s about a fiver on WP7.

£2.29 on WP, or free with ads if you go for the trial version.

grim168
    Free Member

After having a nokia n97 mini on contract I wouldn’t have anything made by that conpany,.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘nokia lumia anybody’ is closed to new replies.