• This topic has 26 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Nikon 1 camera – any better price than Jessops?
  • RustyMac

I know there are quite a few camera gurus on here. Does any one know if there is any better priced placed to buy a Nikon J1 camera than Jessops?

I’m looking at getting one with a 10mm pancake lense then buying one of the larger lenses at a later date when i have saved up some more pennies.

I have been looking arround for a new camera and price and function wise this seems to fill my requirements of a camera a set up from a compact that is also highly portable.

http://www.jessops.com/Directory/catalogue.ashx/$s=nikon%20j1

Also on a semi related note is 7dayshop still the best place for memory cards?

This seems an amazing deal but is it too good to be true.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=113813

Thanks

Rusty

geoffj

I’ve got the 7dayshop SD card for my GoPro and its pretty good.

RustyMac

Cheers Geoff,

How long did postage take?

Are the memory cards comming from the UK or China?

stevemakin

might be worth waiting a few weeks

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

RustyMac

Cheers Steve,

Interesting read, the current on offer price of the Nikon 1 J1 is pretty much all of my buget. I’m going to guess the Canon that is referenced is Canon EOS M which is more than i can afford so although it seems a better camera is not a concideration for me.
    Also I would expect the J2 to sell at RRP for the first while so will probably be over budget for me too.

Thanks though all good info

stevemakin

I was thinking more that the J1 will get discounted to shift before the J2 appears

RustyMac

Ah right,

Think that is alreaddy happening (£50 cash back on the J1 and V1), well it seems to be at Jessops anyway.

rs
    Free Member

sounds like you’ve done your homework but if budget is an issue why not look for a cheap panasonic or olympus, you may find you get tired of the nikon lens selection pretty quickly, m43 has some excellent pancakes.

RustyMac

rs could you point me in the direction of model of panasonic or olympus please? Got carried away with the time trial and missed your post earlier.

takisawa2

7dayshop stuff comes from Jersey. Takes a couple of days usually. I’ve never had any issues with them. THIS place are ok also, quick delivery etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pen prices seem to be pretty consistent around the place. I reckon the E-PL3 is the best value for money, about £400-£450 I think. The third generation have better AF, which is why I’d go for them.

RustyMac

Mol/rs do you have an Olympus Pen or know how the lenses system works?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/82296/show.html

Above link is to the E-PL3 you mention with 2 lenses and it had me totally confused does the second lens fit over the first or is it the same as the Nikon where you remove and replace.

Is the suggestion that a slightly larger outlay on the Olympus E-PL3 would be beneficial in the long run for greater versatility on lens choice?

rs
    Free Member

Obviously I don’t know your exact requirements but like you I considered the Nikon 1, the main thing was the superior autofocus that was supposed to be better for sports but the lack of lenses bothered me, in the end after deliberating over all these cameras and pixel peeping sample pictures I decided they were all pretty good and for someone not really into photography but wanting some decent pictures I figured any of them would do the job.

I picked up an Olympus EPM1 on sale for $400CAD, not sure what they go for in the UK and have since added the 20mm f1.7 pancake which is truly awesome for biking, providing you prefocus. The EPM1 focuses pretty fast but that lens is an older design that takes a little longer but the results from it are excellent, even in a dark forest.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t have a Pen, I have an E-system SLR.

The Pens are the same as all the other cameras you mention – you just change the lenses like any other interchangeable lens camera.

The pics in that advert (which is a cracking deal btw) are a bit misleading. The front-on shot shows the 14-42mm lens attached, but the overhead one has no lens, which makes it look like the lens is really really thin. It is pretty compact, being a collapsable lens (when you pack it away it shrinks below the smallest size it is in normal use), but it’s not quite that thin!

There are differences between the ILC formats in terms of noise, image quality and so on, but the one area the Olympus and Panasonic win hands down is lens choice. There’s much more available, and they are all pretty good. They both use the micro 4/3 system, along with a few othe rmanufacturers too.

It’s worth noting though that in general Oly lenses work a bit better with Oly bodies and likewise Panny. I think the Panasonic cameras automatically correct for some distortion that the Panasonic lenses create, but you don’t get the correction if you use the lens on an Olympus body.

NB from my in-shop tests, the E-PL3 cameras are way way quicker than the 1 and 2 versions. Extremely quick.

aP
    Free Member

I took both my Pentax DSLR and my V1 out with me today for the TT and ended up using the V1 set on 30fps. Got some nice 30 frame sequences. I like it a lot although am wondering when I can “justify” buying another lens or 2. I also have the dedicated flash and that’s pretty good. A couple of months ago I did a track walk on the Bakerloo Line and out of anyone there mine were the only pictures that a) came out and b) had enough image quality to use for more than saying, ‘oh yes that’s a tunnel’.
    I prefer having the option of a viewfinder, which is why I bought the V1.

RustyMac

Thanks everyone for the all advice so far, at the moment the Nikon with the pancake lense is leading simply on price and desired initial lense.

Any one know where to get an Olympus Pen E-PL3 with a pancake lense?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Rusty

IME 7 day shop are a completely reliable and trustworthy retailer. They ship from the Channel Islands to avoid tax and stuff.

RustyMac

winston_dog

ta for the reassurance on 7dayshop, the price had me thinking twice but i was sure i have seen the place mentioned on here before.

project
    Free Member

Had a few things of 7dayshop.com, excellent service, free returns and delivery, and it arrives in a few days.

oh and theyre cheap for stuff, and everything has a year guarantee.

Dibbs
    Free Member
    DrJ

If anyone is looking for a MFT camera with pancake lens I am thinking of selling my Panasonic G1 with the Panasonic pancake. Looking for 300 quid which is not much more than the new price of the lens alone. Email in profile – I think!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hard to find the Pen cameras supplied with the pancake, afaik. The body is available on its own though.

RustyMac

Will look into the price of a Pen body and a lense, local Jessops is getting a Nik 1 in with a pancake for me to have a bit of a play with so i will compare the two of them then.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

molgrips
    Free Member

Might not be economical to get the two separately, because of the availablility of the kit bundle I think you might as well get it as well. Might not even cost anything at all.

winston_dog
    Free Member

This looks like a surprisingly go deal from Argos for a Panasonic GF3 for £290.

Panasonic GF3 14mm lens

winston_dog
    Free Member

Found an even better deal at £220 if you do mind a white body.

Panny with 14mm lens

DrJ

Found an even better deal at £220 if you do mind a white body.

FWIW, that is not the more expensive f/1.7 Pana-cake.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Nikon 1 camera – any better price than Jessops?’ is closed to new replies.