Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 187 total)
  • 3 peaks cc – whos applied?
  • boxelder

[/quote]Unless you mean the 3 separate hills

This.

Aw, go on – I’ll shout encouragement

sefton
    Free Member

out of interest did everyone donate to mountain rescue?

Clover

Yes, that way I can look them in the eye as they stretcher me off…. 😕

Edric64
    Free Member

Im in .I think it cost 50 quid this year because its the 50th running John intends to retire from organizing it after this .So I should imagine all finishers will get something to remember it by .The 45th event gave us a medal so I expect a sweatshirt or something will be given to all finishers

fatmax

Ferk…I’m in. Excited, but a huge amount of training ahead of me, as I’m currently not that fit. And I need to buy or borrow a cross bike!

karnali
    Free Member

woohoo got my invite need to ride up some big hills, then carry up some steeper ones, i expect reality will set in and my 14mile round trip cmmute will be the sum of my training

rich-c
    Free Member

I put a few quid extra in for the rescue people on my entry, did the same for the Richmond 5 dales Sportive as well.
    I think I’ll end up donating more in this way in the future as I don’t get into the usual collecting box / bucket areas these days due to other commitments and the cost of travel.

However off to the Lakes for a long weekend this week looking forward to riding / running in the rain and cloud and much Tea drinking.

f757lkk
    Free Member

I’m in to… will be racing my boardman pro cx. UCI compliant and meets the tree peaks rules… Discs will be a blessing on those decents!

So who’s gonna shar their training plans!?!?

I plan to carry on as i am, Running 10k most days then commuting the 50mile round trip to work (on my cross bike of course!) at least once a week and then getting out on a wednesday night for 30 miles of cross country ( on my full susser)…

Still don’t think i’m gonna be fit enough and i’m scared!

Jamie

sambob
    Free Member

You’ll be fit enough to get round, it’s just how quickly that will be affected…

sefton
    Free Member

well sounds like you’ll get round quicker than me!

here’s a little diary type post I’ve been doing – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-done-the-3-peaks-cc

crazy-legs

So who’s gonna share their training plans!?!?

What is this training of which you speak? 😉

I ride to work most days, short run in the evening. Usually doing one (sometimes two) crit races a week although I’ve missed the last few weeks but next week will be three crit races!

Mostly road miles at the weekends, anything up to 70 ish miles per day normally. Gradually bringing the balance round more to CX miles and next month I’ll start properly running up hills with bike. Want to get my crit races out the way first.

With about a month to go I normally try and do a run over Whernside and/or PyG.

Of course, none of the above explains why I’ve consistently failed to get under 4hrs. Nearest I’ve managed has been 4.03.00 but at least I’m consistently average cos I normally get in that ballpark: I’ve had a 4.03, 4.06 and a 4.09 (plus a couple nearer 4.20 with punctures etc).

crikey
    Free Member

I think you need to be good at 2 things to do yourself proud in the 3 Peaks:

1.) Walking fast with your bike on your shoulder up steep slopes. The only way to train for this is to do it, repeatedly. You need to be climbing up slopes way too steep to ride for at least 20 minutes at a time.

2.) Descending on a cross bike. Chicken levers are poo in my opinion; they force you to be too upright and give you a very narrow grip on the bars. Learn to get down on the drops; more stable, more power at the ends of the levers and a better position for hopping over stuff.

Other tips; get fast on the road for the start, learn to ride well when you are fatigued, and do a few 4-5 hour crossbike rides to understand how bad you will feel at the end…

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some chicken levers (not for descending, more for another choice of hand position if tired). braking on the hoods is a dangerous game imo

just ordered a 34 ring to so I’ll be 46/32 – 11-28

davetrave
    Free Member

Seconded Crikey’s number 2 suggestion – I’ve never used chicken levers, always descend in the drops. Scary at first but once you get used to it… Especially on Ingleborough, I’ve found myself regularly passing loads of people descending gingerly on the hoods or tops.

sefton
    Free Member

drops is where its at! it naturally puts you in a attacking/responsive position on the bike too! on the flip side it takes some strength on long descents (maybe its easier with discs I dont know)?

stever
    Free Member

I don’t mind descending in the drops at all, feels a nice strong position. Do some fell running or at least some steep climbing, it’ll do you a power of good. Being slow on the roads is my problem, can never hang onto wheels when they pass. My tip for preparing for Simon’s Fell: nothing can prepare you for Simon’s Fell 🙂

twinklydave

My tip for preparing for Simon’s Fell: nothing can prepare you for Simon’s Fell

Damn right!

Though, as odd as it sounds, that’s what makes it so much fun the first time round 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

would really have loved to have entered, but the fuel up from west cornwall alone would pretty much pay for a family short break. love this event, have done it twice and always planned to do the 50th, but sadly just cannot justify the expense for a half a day bike ride.

GregMay
    Free Member

would really have loved to have entered, but the fuel up from west cornwall alone would pretty much pay for a family short break. love this event, have done it twice and always planned to do the 50th, but sadly just cannot justify the expense for a half a day bike ride.

No comment having come from Ireland for this 3 times already. Also doing it again. IT is a race that is worth it.

Edric64
    Free Member

Well you could bring the family for a cheap week away the Caving hut is clean dry and warm and empty all week usually .Family of 4 ,£20 a night accommodation

totalshell

did this 3 times in late 80’s 90’s came close within seconds of breaking 4 hours but never had the weather..
    top tips for fast times from average riders.. (as it applied back then)
    1. be at or close to the front at the start the field gets well strung out once under way / up first hill
    2. you cant do it solo fast you need support to feed you lubricate you..
    3. enjoy running with the bike onb your shoulder practice practice
    4. dont walk.. a fast shuffle at minimum..

Edric64
    Free Member

It was a shorter course then

totalshell

ouch..
    2 be fair we started at helwityh bridge rode/ ran/ walked up and down three big hills and galloped back to helwith AND we only had toe clips steel frames canti brakes and tubs with less grip than sand paper so your right it was a lot easier..

GregMay
    Free Member

ouch..
    2 be fair we started at helwityh bridge rode/ ran/ walked up and down three big hills and galloped back to helwith AND we only had toe clips steel frames canti brakes and tubs with less grip than sand paper so your right it was a lot easier..

An’ at end, had to lick road clean wit’ tounge.

If you don’t get the ref, you are dead inside.

Edric64
    Free Member

I only said the course was shorter.I`m not in a position to comment on others times going on my own crap efforts over the last few years

stever
    Free Member

1. be at or close to the front at the start the field gets well strung out once under way / up first hill

Good luck with that. You’ll need to be a serious athlete to get anywhere near the front after the road section. No point killing yourself in the first 20 minutes unless you can keep it up for the next 3 hours 🙂

aP
    Free Member

The point about starting further up the field is that it makes a big difference on the first climb, and also you’ll be ahead of most of the properly hairy group riding skills and crashes on the road.

boxelder

aP – I agree. I’ve always lined up for the time I’m aiming for, and then been held up the first climb and nearly taken out on the road at the start.

Clover

Has anyone got a garmin file with elevation on it for the three peaks? I am trying to work out what to practice and things like knowing how long Simon’s Fell is would be really handy.

I’ve only just started riding CX and I did my first bit of training on Monday. I now understand that training is ‘getting used to prolonged pain and breathlessness’. Bike on shoulder, 10 minute climb up nearest big hill. Ride down (ish, legs like jelly). Repeat.

Stagger home weeping… why, why, why did I think this would be a good idea?

sefton
    Free Member

http://www.3peakscyclocross.org.uk/regulations%20for%20competitors%202012.pdf

here you go!

are you saying buy lining up with a realistic time in mind made conditions worse for you?

Clover

Thanks but I have seen that and for some reason have difficulty visualising it…

sefton
    Free Member
    Clover

Super helpful!! 😀

GregMay
    Free Member

It’ll be worse than the steepest thing you can imagine.Simple as that.

First time is a good one 🙂

shaggy

It’ll be worse than the steepest thing you can imagine.Simple as that.

First time is a good one

Then second time you’ll forget there is a bunch more climbing after the steep bit.

MrSparkle

However it does come back to you…

Clover

Thanks for the encouragement 😉

Our local landmark sits on top of a hill – 412ft of climb in .36 miles – it’s my new fun bike hike. Except it’s not fun and the descent off it isn’t completely straight forward especially when legs are jellified from climbing. When I can do 10 in a row I think I’ll have proved to myself that I can stay the course…

How many days to go?

GregMay
    Free Member

Then second time you’ll forget there is a bunch more climbing after the steep bit.

And the third time that it is still there and you forgot again 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

What does everyone’s training look like at the moment?

I need to up my game – currently 2-3 rides per week with one of which a good 30-35mile 3pcx specific ride.

GregMay
    Free Member

I rode my CX bike today for 2 hours….I’ve done nowt for a few weeks. Lots of time yet. Just working on eating less as I’m currently a fat c***

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘3 peaks cc – whos applied?’ is closed to new replies.