Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Nearly finished my first bike build – pics
  • hunterst
    Free Member

Hi all

Having been away from the biking scene for a few years (well about 5) I recently decided to dig out my old 2002 scott fx2.
    I’ve got to admit I didn’t really like this bike anymore and thought a little hardtail would be much better bet.
    A cunning plan started to form where I could strip the parts from the scott and use them to build a cheap hardtail for razzing about in the woods.

I figured a bit of canny buying of some essential parts and I could end up with an ok-ish bike for around a hundred quid layout. Result!

I started to scour ebay for a suitable frame without really knowing what I was looking for. I only knew I didn’t want an xc racer type bike but I did want something a bit smaller than my fx2 and something with a low stand over height.
    I then stumbled across this site and started to look through the for sale ads.

I came across an old Gary Fisher Mullet frame and as the seller was fairly local decided to give him a call and make an offer, which was accepted. Thanks pappamoomin01.

Cool – I had a frame to start my little project

The frame seemed to be just what I was after and at 17 inches would be just about the right size.

Over the next few days I started to loosely put the bike together with my old bits.
    I hadn’t worked on any bikes for a few years but really enjoyed being in the garage with a brew and a fag, tinkering away and getting oily hands.

I could sort of see where I wanted the bike to go and after looking through the various hardtail threads on here it soon became apparent that my forks were too small for the job

I wanted to beef the bike up a bit and thought a set of pikes would fit the bill nicely.
    A pair of dual air 140mm forks soon came up in the for sale section which I grabbed.

I would also need a new front wheel to fit the 20mm axle on the pikes – hmmm, already ….. my plans of a cheap hardtail had fallen flat, but on the positive side the shape of the bike was starting to look pretty good.

It looked so good I decided to get the frame powder coated a nice satin black by triple s in bingley.

This process went on and on until I had replaced nearly all of my old parts with much better second hand parts. In fact the only bits of my old bike that I have used are the brakes and the rear mech. 😆

Anyway, its taken me about 2 months to get this far but its very nearly finished and I cant wait to get out on it. Just need to sort the gear cables out and its done.

…….Well I say its done but already I am thinking of a better frame – evils are nice, cotic bfe are also nice, dialed alpine also nice etc etc etc.

I took it out of the garage for the first time today and was quite proud of my little creation. So proud in fact, I decided to take some pics.

Hope you like em.

The frame when i first bought it

ds3000
    Free Member

That’s a mean looking bike, nice and slack. Looks like it’d be good fun DH. Congrats.

Militant_biker

Looks great! Good photos too. What was the final spend?

I used to have a set like of pedals like that, and ended up standing on the edge far too many times. Parallelogram profile ones suited me much better.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Now that looks the business! It will be fun on the downs!

montylikesbeer

its as tidy as you like, hats off

flip
    Free Member

Lovely 😉 it’s not often someone posts a bike pic with no critisism.

RustyMac

Cracking pics, lovely looking bike now pick a hill and get out there and get it good and dirty.

enjoy

Rusty

neninja
    Free Member

Good effort – looks great.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Does look good.

billybob
    Free Member

Come on people – no one has mentioned the rear gear cable needs trimming! 😉

Looks good apart from that!

sc-xc

ome on people – no one has mentioned the rear gear cable needs trimming!

apart from the main man….

Just need to sort the gear cables out and its done.

😉

rewski
    Free Member

very tidy

Vortexracing

That looks superb.

I had a Gary fisher GED which is the same frame. The bike handles really well and to be honest, I wish I had never got rid of it 🙁

Enjoy they are very good frames.

PS I had Pikes on mine, makes for a VERY good hardcore hardtail indeed.

kudos100
    Free Member

now that is my kind of bike! i wouldn’t bother changing the frame, from what i have heard the are awesome. looks like it will be great fun for messing about on 🙂

ART

Nice job, garden also passes muster. STW approval all round… 😉

hunterst
    Free Member

I was quite nervous about posting this as i thought it would be ripped apart. 🙂

Thank you all very much for your kind words

As far as the final spend goes – the wife thinks its a great bike for £200
    In non wifey terms it was probably £500 ish 😆

Still got to get some new pedals (wellgo b54 i think) and a chain yet but hoping to be out next weekend

Thanks again chaps

D

Wozza
    Free Member

You did good, nice bike.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

They are truly superb frames, I still have one lurking in my loft as I cant bear to part with it even though it has an ovalised headtube 😯

binners

Blimey! That’s nice! And looks like it came in at a damn site more than £500. Good work fella!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Nearly finished my first bike build – pics’ is closed to new replies.