Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Merkur Futur DE Razor – Opinions Please
  • bigblackshed

Sorry about another DE thread, but it’s a specific question.

I’ve read plenty of reviews elsewhere, but I feel more confident in the opinions of the wise ones of STW.

I’ve been DE shaving for a couple of years. I get on fine with it. I use a Merkur 23C with Feather blades. I can look respectable with a 2 pass shave, 3 passes gets my chin looking clean. 4 passes, the last against the grain to be super smooth.

Will the Futur give me a closer shave with less passes or is it just stick with what I have? I really like the idea of the Futur, heavy weight, adjustable, clean lines and modern.

The only negative I’ve read, and it didn’t make much sense, is that the blade is loose in the head? It floats around in the head.

Any real world experience muchly appreciated. Thanks.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use one. They are a heavy and the head is larger than most but it works on my face. I still do 2-3 passes to avoid irritation on a weeks growth. I don’t think you should be removing the growth any quicker but they are a pleasure to use.

I’ve never noticed the blade moving but with the blade adjustment it is under tension preventing it from moving.

On a side note the satin finish is better to use than the chrome with more grip with wet fingers.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Got one – no closer a shave than my 1960 superspeed, but it feels great in my hand, is really well made and a pleasure to use. Love it. No issues with blade being loose in the head.
    EDIT

On a side note the satin finish is better to use than the chrome with more grip with wet fingers.

+1 surprisingly so because it doesn’t look particularly grippy

mooman
    Free Member

Not got the Future. But surprised it takes so many passes to get you close with what your using.
    I hear the Future is superb … but pretty unforgiving if your technique is lacking.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have a chrome Futur that I no longer use due to being beardy. If you’re interested?

bigblackshed

Mooman.

I’ve got very heavy, dense, tough facial hair. If I shave first thing in the morning, I’ll need another to go out in the evening. A 4 pass in the evening, looks like a days growth the following morning.

TheGreatApe.

Might well be interested if it’s in good nick and the price is right. My email is in my profile.

chewkw
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member
    I’ve got very heavy, dense, tough facial hair. If I shave first thing in the morning, I’ll need another to go out in the evening. A 4 pass in the evening, looks like a days growth the following morning.

Gillette red tip / Heavy Super Speed (Red Tip)) might be the one for you with Personna blade or whatever blade you think is suitable.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you don’t mind waiting until tomorrow evening, for me to locate it and see if I still have the box it came in (doubtful), then I’ll email you some pictures.

bigblackshed

Chewkw.

I have tried Persona blades. Didn’t suite me at all. Blood bath. I’m not keen on butterfly heads either. I find them slightly draggy.

TheGreatApe.

No problem.

chewkw
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member

Chewkw.

I have tried Persona blades. Didn’t suite me at all. Blood bath. I’m not keen on butterfly heads either. I find them slightly draggy.

I see. Ya, you must be a blue beard hence the Personna blade does not cut it. You need the samurai of blades! Also noticed you use open comb which is best suited to your kind of beard. I think only open comb works best in your case.

Do keep us posted to see if the Futur works for you.

sbob
    Free Member

I get on fine with it.

End thread. 💡

I really like the idea of the Futur

Commence shopping! 😀

It’s a nice razor. Won’t really be any better than what you have got.
    Its size leads me to struggle to get the couple of hairs of my ‘tache closest to my nose, if you are looking for downsides.
    Might be different for you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got a Futur (was my fist DE razor), a Gillette Rocket and a Gillette Aristocrat Junior.
    All are great. The Future is heavier and the weight helps a DE noob but as has been said the head is quite fat so it takes a bit of care to do under the nose.

bigblackshed

Chewkw.

It’s more white and grey these days. 😉 The 23C is the closed comb, 25C is the open. I have also been thinking of one of those just to see the difference.

Snob & Sharkbait.

Under the nose won’t be much of a problem. I generally sport patches of comedy facial hair and the top lip rarely sees sunlight.

chewkw
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member

Chewkw.

It’s more white and grey these days. The 23C is the closed comb, 25C is the open. I have also been thinking of one of those just to see the difference.

In that case you should try open comb first as they are meant for dense beard like yours which I think might work for you.

Do you shave in a small “chopping” motion or “glide” when you start to shave? I usually start with the former first then glide later on but not a long glide.

I learned my lesson when I was using those modern razor by shaving in a long pull/glide motion in a hurry that resulted in a long cut on my face badly. Never again.

bigblackshed

Chewkw.

Normally on a day or twos growth it goes something like this.

Cheeks first. Starting from sideburns / ears, small chop from top to half way down cheek, flip razor, next chop, rinse razor, repeat until I get to my nose. Same on the other cheek.

Then the same routine but from half way down the cheek to just below the jaw line. Then below jawline to half way down my neck, then the bottom half of neck including under my chin. Chin last.

Second pass is 30-45 deg angle from nose to ears across my cheeks, longer strokes but only one stroke between flipping the razor and rinsing. Same with the neck. Chin last.

Third pass is the same as the second but from ears to nose this time.

Fourth pass, if I’m feeling lucky 😉 , is to shave against the grain but starting from the lower neck and work upwards. Again chin last.

Between each pass it’s a very light rinse of my face, just to wet it slightly and move the ramaining soap around and then re-lather.

It’s not technique, I’ve shaved other people in the same way and the results for them were described as “the best shave they had ever had”.

I think I just need a more aggressive razor TBH. I might order a Merkur 25C open comb and try the difference. Also waiting to hear back from TheGreatApe.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I haven’t forgotten, still at work!

bigblackshed

It was for Chewkw’s benefit ref. the Merkur 25C and / or your Futur.

🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not having much success so far I’m afraid 🙁

bigblackshed

The razor or the box? Don’t worry if it’s the box that you can’t find.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No the razor. It must be in a very safe place!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Merkur Futur DE Razor – Opinions Please’ is closed to new replies.