Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Long slack hardtail for the long legged, long arms, heavy type
  • vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Know this gets done to death but…., After spending the whole winter on my 29er xc hardtail (has summer really started) and only a few weeks on my full sus, I’ve came to the conclusion i actually prefer HT’s, give my xc is your typical 71deg, 100mm travel its not exactly aggressive though.

Whats thoughts on a long reach slack bike, that will fit a biggin (6’3″ 100kg), be nice to feel in the cockpit not on it for once!

– Orange crush, looks best.
    – Lover the Bird zero but mate has one.

Suggestions welcome/much appreciated.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate got a custom made frame from small town boy designs, in raw lacquered steel. Pretty much mojo geometron geometry, it’s a demon! All for 400 quid, cracking buy.

ratherbeintobago

If you’re that tall would you not be better with a LT 29er eg. Trans Am or something?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Curtis do a downhill hardtail. Now that is slack

thegreatape
    Free Member

BTR do a slacker one – 64 degrees IIRC

Bregante

Last Fast Forward

Swarf Spline

chiefgrooveguru

My tweaked Zero AM has ultra aggressive geometry, thanks to a -2 deg Works headset (zero stack lower cup) and 130mm Pike – it’s basically the same as a BTR Ranger. On flatter trails it’s not very tolerant of my more shambolic riding moments as the über low BB gives no room to pedal in the rough or when cornering, but when riding well it’s awesome (and its intolerant attitude forces me to ride better). And on steeper trails where you’re rarely pedalling it’s as good as hardtails get.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Last fast forward looks pretty sexy!! Could go for one of them, 650b are fine, that’s my full sus, definitely more nimble than the big wheel. Guess a 29er with a nice low bb would improve things a lot.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s had a few changes since then, bars gone higher, saddle up too, cranks now 165mm XT rather than 175mm SLX, pedals now my trusty Vaults.

I met Adrian from Swarf on his local trails a few months back and I’d be tempted to get something with similar geometry to my Bird custom made by him when funds allow. I like the idea of using moveable dropouts like on my Banshee to optimise the handling for different trails/conditions and his steel frames look lovely (and I think some cunning tube work could smooth the rough a smidgeon…)

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Just seen the price on the spline!!! Ouch!!!, cheifgrooveguru don’t rub it in on the zero!! I love that bike, but not having the ribbing for next few years while I ride it!!!

chiefgrooveguru

If you slackenize your hypothetical Bird couldn’t you rib your mate about his bike being too much of a steep angled XC mincing machine? 😉

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

And have it sprayed a different colour so mines ‘a full custom’ 😉

nairnster
    Free Member

Any pictures of the STB custom bike?

Last fast forward looks pretty sexy – in promotional pics, then you see a real one and it looks like it’s been crashed into a wall!!

FTFY

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Probably will look like that with two weeks with me. Any know what reach is like on the trans AM? Thoughts on a high latitude?

BillOddie

Chromag Rootdown BA

Chromag Primer

I have the old less slack Rootdown and it’s really confidence inspiring. The BA version (the Primer is the Canadian built version of the BA) would be amazing.

wiggles
    Free Member

P7 over the crush if you go orange, P7 is slacker (and steel!)

Whyte 905/909 has got to be in the list also.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

nairnster – Member

Any pictures of the STB custom bike?

Nairnster, drop me an email and I’ll send you a note of his instagram pics.

tor5
    Free Member

Edit: second the chromag

blakec
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ 110kg and have a whyte 905. It fits my well though I did have to swap the bars to some riser bars for better fit.

goby

Oh like the sounds of small town boy designs, will investigate further!

The Next Gen Stanton’s come in regular and long

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll say what I always say, Kona Honzo in Steel, Alu or Ti.

I’ve ramped mine up to 140mm and stuck a -2 headset in it.

Its an absolute beast.

hardtailonly

OnOne 45650b for decent value, burly-framed slack goodness (65.6 deg HA) … I’ve found mine a great bike, very confidence inspiring having come from a more XC/trail-oriented Boardman.

If in the market now, I’d take a look at the Sonder Transmitter – mate has one and loves it!

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Really like the look and geometry of the rootdown ba 663mm effective top tube! Brilliant. Know of any uk distributors?

BillOddie

Chromag are sold by Shore Lines.

http://www.shore-lines.co.uk/

John is ace to deal with, a top chap. If he hasn’t got stock now, he’ll be able to tell you when he will have (probably not long) if you drop him an email.

buckster
    Free Member

Commencal Meta HT CrMo. Fantastic bike

nairnster
    Free Member

I have a 45650b, and they are not long. Pretty short actually.

mrsi
    Free Member

I ditched my NP Mega for a transition trans am 29, running it with 130mm forks and a -1 degree works headset. I’d intended to use it over the winter then but a new big bike but I’ve not missed it. Merlin had some good frame deals a while ago too.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I have a 45650b, and they are not long. Pretty short actually.

I had the 456EvoTi (26″). 45650b is exactly the same ETT.
    ie. yes, quite short.
    6’2″ here and also looking at same bikes as OP
    My shortlist is currently:
    P7
    zero AM
    Liteville H-3 (but looks like these are sold out before even available)

wl
    Free Member

+1 new Orange P7. 100% happy with mine – it’s so well thought out in terms of geometry and travel. A true all-rounder for me, and ridiculously fun to ride.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

– Lover the Bird zero but mate has one so that’s that sorted then!.

Ftfy

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

A P7 build could be an option would like to say keep it british but at least chromag frames are made in the same country as the company – shocking pinks is a free option just now as well.

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Scrap that Chromag made in Taiwan as well…. P7 back up the leader board!

wl
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if you didn’t take to a P7. I’m 5′ 10″ and just get away with riding a medium. One thing I would say – probably worth getting Pikes if you can afford it. The bike is slack, low, long and fast, so slightly chunkier forks are great for the rocks of Calderdale. 140mm is spot on though.

BillOddie

I bet the P7 frame is made in Taiwan too…

rowallan123
    Free Member

I’m the same size / weight as you my friend. Have recently purchased an Orange Crush in XL and its a scream to ride. I cannot recommend it enough. P7 is slacker by a degree but I think we are splitting hairs here, it will go down anything you have the bottle for and is zippier due to be lighter and stiffer. Not a cruiser, but if you like to take the bike by the scruff of the neck its a brilliant choice.

thepodge
    Free Member

I notice how they hide the hideous dropper routing on the P7 in all the promo pictures.

jabbi
    Free Member

The Chromag Rootdown BA ticks all my boxes, I even sold my old frame in anticipation, unfortunately John (Shorelines) will not be importing them, l was told that a considerable increase in price and lack of available sizes (only one batch being built) were the main reasons, along with the Canadian built version (Primer) being 27.5 + compatible and likely the basis for a new Taiwanese version next year.

wl
    Free Member

Probably Taiwan, yes. Not bothered where it’s made though, just how it rides.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Long slack hardtail for the long legged, long arms, heavy type’ is closed to new replies.