Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • "IF" i was allowed a dog, it would have to fit very strict guidelines – The Wife
  • Sui
    Free Member

I’ve been badgering the missus to get a dog for a long time. Before we got together I had Rotty, a sweet thing that loved the next door neighbours kids (not for dinner), she sadly passed away a number of years ago. Since then, I’ve had two kiddies, the daughter is petrified of dogs (mums fault), but the younger boy loves em (dads fault 🙂 ).

Anyway, we got into this “hypothetical” discussion about what dog I would like vs what I would be allowed.

The no’s from the missus are

Got to be smaller in size – i.e. probably slightly smaller than beagle
    Got to be “different” – not entirely sure what that means, but i’ll guess not a lab!
    Can’t molt too much

The missus likes those PUG things (I say like in the loosest sense of the word).

So what fits the bill here? I’d like a dog from working breed for general “smartness”, something that can come out for a run, maybe the odd ride, good with kids (4 and 2), is a bit “different” and is on the smaller side (but not rat like).

Personally I want another Rotty, but it’s not going to happen…

oh I also work from home most days (that will be relevant somewhere).

Sui

benp1

Springer spaniel?

DezB
    Free Member
    hexhamstu
    Free Member

Never had a border terrier so have no idea on temperament etc. but they are small? No idea about the molting either.

BUT they look like funny little old men, I’d like one called trevor.

Edit: (DezB: Great minds think alike.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sprocker or a Border would fit the bill nicely. (Am at the stage of pondering another dog at Casa Flash!)

MrsToast
    Free Member

You’re on Singletrack, surely the answer is Border Terrier?

We’ve got a Dogs Trust Tibetan Terrier/cocker cross – adorable, ridiculously friendly and affectionate, and altogether awesome. You can’t have him though.

Pugs are adorable, but you have to keep an eye out for health issues (plus they’re not really designed for exercise).

geoffj

DezB – Member
    Danny Mac approved

Fails on the different criterion. Common as muck now.

Liftman

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Sui
    Free Member

Dez, lovely pics, though that wont fit the “different” category – probably.

Ben – I love springer’s, but may constitute too big.

<grumble> bloody women <grumble>

Onzadog
    Free Member

In my experience, small dogs can be snappier so perhaps not best suited to the nervous daughter.

Despite their chav reputation, staffies are wonderful, gentle, loyal dogs that love nothing more than lots of cuddles. Shouldn’t have any trouble getting one from a rescue. There’s a good chance you’ll even be able to see pups with the mother there’s that many of the poor little buggers in rescue.

Maybe a staffie cross if you want “different”.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Hey, don’t blame women because your wife is a dog nazi! 😛

What about a puli? They’re different!

Sui
    Free Member

ooh Sprocker…

Cavs don’t they have some proper issues with health?

mogrim

I love springer’s, but may constitute too big.

I understand they’re fairly small when you first get them, could you not just plead ignorance when it’s grown a bit? Ideally by then your wife will have taken a shine to the beast.

irc

No molting. Not snappy. Poodle?

Staffs? Two diferent staffs have pinned my dog to the ground in the last month. Though neither bit it and both dogs were quickly forcibly removed by their owners. Many Staffs are friendly. with young kids I’d worry that any bite could be serious rather than a nip as their jaws are so powerful.

Sui
    Free Member

MrsT – I know, I know – I come from a family that’s owned dogs since I was little, the missus hasn’t. It’s weird how easily fear is fed in to young kids through the actions of parents!

LOL @ Puli – I showed her one of these and she just said “it looks like a mop”! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cavs don’t they have some proper issues with health?

Some do, certainly, as with all dogs, though, if you can find a good breeder, you’ll get a good one. Try and avoid anyone breeding for show, they’re breeding them waaaay too small nowadays. My last was a proper little sporting chap and lived happily to 14, which is a damned fine knock for any Spaniel, IMHO!

Cavs are great little dogs, proper sporting character and great with families, as long as you get a good ‘un and keep them happy/healthy/working. They’re not really big trail dogs, but mine would happily trot along with me on a ten mile bimble.

Sui
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

I love springer’s, but may constitute too big.

I understand they’re fairly small when you first get them, could you not just plead ignorance when its grown a bit? Ideally by then your wife will have taken a shine to the beast.

this idea had crossed my mind! 🙂

Rscott
    Free Member

Vizla?

Never met a friendlier dog, they thrive in a family environment are very easily trained and only have a single coat so shedding is minimal.

DezB
    Free Member

Fails on the different criterion. Common as muck now.

Only on STW! I’ve not seen any out round here. It’s all labs and collies. (Oh, and spaniels!)

Northwind

Chihuahua. Or actually, just get a rat, it’s the same thing and they’re cheaper.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vizslas are ace dogs, really good to ride with as well. However, they might fail a little on the size thing.

DezB
    Free Member

Hope says small dogs are rubbish

Get a mongrel, that’d be different. My brother’s in the pic is a daschound (however you spell it) cross. Cute, but nuts.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Bearded Collie or Tibetan Terrier

slackalice
    Free Member

Mini Schnauzer?

MrsToast
    Free Member

MrsT – I know, I know – I come from a family that’s owned dogs since I was little, the missus hasn’t. It’s weird how easily fear is fed in to young kids through the actions of parents!

I had an ex who was terrified of dogs, regardless of size. Apparently he was bitten by a sausage dog when he was 8 years old, on a school trip to France, and ended up having to have a load of injections…

And pulis do look like mops (there’s a great video where someone has balanced mop handles on pulis, then called them. I’d link it, but I’m on an iPad). But ‘mop’ is a different look for dogs!

Japanese Spitz?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wippet/greyhound?

They like to run very quickly for a short period of time, then sleep. So well matched to kids attention spans and not needing costant walking (like a working breed).

anagallis_arvensis

Whippet, wont molt much, very quiet, gentle dogs ( as long as your not a rabbit).

iolo
    Free Member

Get a mongrel, that’d be different

+1000

Go to the nearest rescue center and find one you love instead of lining some breeder’s pocket.

khani
    Free Member

Poodle.. If you don’t cut their fur to look stupid they look like little bears and they’re ace! Smart, funny and loyal. And they don’t shed at all..
    Edit, or a mongrel as said above ^^^ the best dog I ever had was a mongrel..

willard

Working Cocker. Small, loveable, mad. Our, despite coming from serious working lines, just wants to be picked up and cuddled.

If you want limited mess, consider a cockerpoo, they don’t moult.

letmetalktomark

Dachshund.

Bright, workable (well ours are), not yappy (well ours aren’t) loyal, lovely 😉

Unusual* isn’t always a good thing especially from a health perspective.

* Ours being the exception 😆

peakrill
    Free Member

We have a Border Terriorist and a Miniature Schnauzer. Both are small dogs, Border is a little larger than Jack Russel size, Schnauzer is a bit bigger.

Border is people-friendly, loves kids, hates other animals (dogs, sheep, cows, chickens, horses etc.). We can’t leave her in a room alone with the TV on as she attacks when cats (or most other animals) are shown but this is down to our crap training when she was a pup. You really need to work on socializing Borders when they are young. They are lovely dogs, full of character (i.e. stubborn), tough as old boots, have a waterproof top-coat and love exercise. If they are properly trained they are great with other animals. They were originally bred to hunt with hounds and horses and will go all day. Their job was to kill the fox when it went to ground – dog was shoved down the hole to get on with it and generally would win. They don’t shed but ideally should be stripped (not clipped) every 10-12 weeks.

Schnauzer is opposite: loves other dogs, hates kids and bikes and especially kids on bikes.

Sui
    Free Member

“IF” we (I) was allowed, I’d probably want to go down the rescue centre route anyway, so a mongerel wouldn’t be ruled out.

MrsT the Spitz 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Love the daschund’s coats.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Working Cocker. Small, loveable, mad. Our, despite coming from serious working lines, just wants to be picked up and cuddled.

Near neighbour has a wocker, also from working stock, cracking little dog. Have already, perhaps foolishly, expressed an interest if they decide to breed from her!

letmetalktomark

Thank you Dez 😀 Silver dapple & chocolate dapple.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Black Lab – and/or get rid of wife, in which case you can get a Rottweiler!

toby1

I’d really like a dog and my wife would love one, but we are both out at work all day and I don’t think it’s fair to the dog to be home alone all day, so I keep saying no – hard to do though as I’d love to have a dog to take for a walk!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Louis the fell terrier. A little bit bigger than a Border but very, very similar in attitude. Scared of nothing, inqisitive as the nosiest nosey neighbour, thinks children are the most sacred beings on earth, doesn’t moult, often comes on 10mile SS rides with me but would do more if I let him, ALWAYS up for a laff, never gets ill, and how can anyone be nervous of a dog that looks like a teddy bear?
    Bestest dog I’ve ever had!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Minature Poodle or Minature Poodle/Lab Cross or perhaps one crossed with a cocker.

A small minority of Springers and Cockers can be snappy, I wouldn’t call them a beginners dog really. They are headstrong and need a lot of time and attention to train well.

Poodles are so easy to train they practically train themselves. The only problem I’ve encountered with them is that they tend to be clingy, they will attach themselves to one person in the family for a day….and then follow you around for the remainder of that day….at your heels.

I believe Dachshund’s have the dubious reputation of being the dogs most prone to biting. The only reason they aren’t covered under the dangerous dogs act is that the little **** don’t have the strength to kill anything othr than a 3 month old.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘"IF" i was allowed a dog, it would have to fit very strict guidelines – The Wife’ is closed to new replies.