Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • I dont want an axe. I want THIS axe
  • bigyim
    Free Member
    unklehomered
    Free Member

well damn it now I do too…

AlexSimon

Very nice.
    If you can’t afford one of those, then Gransfors Bruks hand make reasonably priced axes in a traditional manner.

I’ve got a Small Forest Axe and it’s surprisingly versatile.

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/gransfors-bruks-axes/forest/small-forest-axe.html

chewkw
    Free Member

I like that axe … errmm … I want a few of those … in fact I like knives too …

piemonster

Hmmm lovely knives

philbert31
    Free Member

Very nice, being a carpenter I think I’ve got a very good excuse to acquire one of these!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Very nice vid, dont like axes that much but do like making stuff 🙂

bazwadah
    Free Member

I do not have a wood burning stove.. I do not have trees that need cutting down.. my shed is already full of tools that don’t get used… yet I would love to have an axe like that after seeing the work that goes into it. Thanks for sharing that big yim!

mikey74
    Free Member

His website it good too. I don’t think £146 is unreasonable, considering the amount of work that goes into them.

CountZero

What a lovely film! Yeah, I’m with chewkw here, I love proper tools, but in particular good knives and axes. I’ve got a Gransförs small forest axe, and it’s a beautiful little thing. Damn sharp, I can do the arm-shaving thing with it, too.
    I’ve got a lovely little knife blade, hand forged from spring steel in Wales, with a beautiful polished Scandinavia grind edge, that I really, really must get down to carving out a handle for it. Got a nice piece of Yew all ready, just got to get my sorry ass in gear and do it.
    My blade is a bushcraft version of one of these blades, with a longer tang, cost me £45.
    http://www.nicwestermann.co.uk/traditional-hand-tools/laminated-carving-blade/prod_30.html

AlexSimon

mikey74 – Member

His website it good too. I don’t think £146 is unreasonable, considering the amount of work that goes into them.
    You’re right – that doesn’t seem too bad really.

tang
    Free Member

Would make a great gift. Esp with a link to the vid. Better than a watch!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You just know how good that is going to feel in your hands.

There was another beautiful film of them making a framing chisel, I can’t find a link to it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Found it!

[video]http://vimeo.com/38165983[/video]

MSP

Would have been better if it had been a battle axe, and he had used it on the irritating background musicians.

CountZero

Here’s the Nic Westermann blade, on the block of yew I have turn into its handle:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Next time a bit of Yew comes down I will hang on to it. Hang on, I may well have some out in a pile somewhere.

EDIT, here it is, the slightly reddish stuff is Yew. Note to self. Do Not Burn.

CountZero

The third film in the set, a Damascus steel knife, and a thing of real beauty.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/56287630[/video]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

WANT!

daftvader
    Free Member

mmmm axes and knives, love hand made tools like that
    countzero… i like handling knives too, this is one i did a while back, an ekland blade with a pere david antler (legaly obtained!) and bronze handle…
    [/url][/img]

i am hoping to do one of the dave budd damascus courses soon

tinybits
    Free Member

Blimey, I want to go live in the woods and make tools!

I’m truly stunned by the workmanship in those.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I have absolutely no use whatsoever for an axe.

I want an axe.

redsox
    Free Member

I have no need for an axe, but now It’s the only thing I want in my life

DezB
    Free Member

i like this one

footflaps

What was the tool he was using to make the axe handle – sort of like a really wide spoke shaver, but more blade like?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Foot flaps, it would be one of these.

http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/drawknives-froes

footflaps

Thanks, might have to get one and start learning to use it. I don’t have a forge, but reckon I could make a handle given enough time….

CountZero

I was very envious of all the tools and the workshops that were in those films. Daftvader, that’s a really nice little knife!

bencooper
    Free Member

Those are nice – I also really like the things made by S. Djarv Hantverk. I’ve got one of their adzes, rougher and more handmade than Gransfors Bruks, but lovely to use.

CountZero

This is the sort of handle shape I’m aiming for, not too fancy, I have limited tools and facilities available, so this Helle,

or Roselli

really fits the bill for me.
    Then there’s a sheath… 😐

woffle
    Free Member

I’ve a Roselli axe for kindling for the woodburners. Lovely bit of kit…

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers countzero.
    For the kind of handle you are looking at you probably won’t need too many tools. Saw for bulk shaping and then if you want to carve it I would recomend frost carving knife (be warned **** ing sharp) and a load of sand paper. Sealed with tung oil or linseed.
    and check out english handmade knives for any pins, lanyard tubes etc

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Boo

I thought this was going to be a thread about guitars

fasthaggis

Excellent videos,thanks for posting. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

footflaps

So when he was making the axe head, he split the blade and inserted a second piece in and then bashed it all into one. Was that a different insert to act as the blade bit?

CountZero

Yes, usually a much harder steel, which would be fairly brittle, but takes a good edge, the softer surrounding steel is better for impacts like hammering. That’ also why the edge was quenched after heating.

yunki
    Free Member

what a tool

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

… and no-ones mentioned the knitware yet?

letmetalktomark

And no one mentioned he split his kindling with a hammer ….

Added to the “really could do with one of those” list.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I dont want an axe. I want THIS axe’ is closed to new replies.