Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Greek Honeymoon
  • rentachimp
    Free Member

The wife fancies Greece for the honeymoon this summer. We’re musos/rockers rather than clubbers, enjoy quality food and drink, and I’d like a riding session at least once in the week we’re there.

Does anybody know what region I should be looking at? Looking to spend around £5-600pp for transport and digs.

Cheers!

johndoh
    Free Member

So many to choose from, but Santorini is the most picturesque (although has black beaches). Mykonos is also very pretty. Rhodes is good, Aegina is good, Lefkada is good….

Jamie
    Free Member

Brother got married, and had honeymoon in Sifnos.

Very chilled out, and very few Brits there. Mostly other Greeks on holiday and the odd German.

Also, his missus is Greek, so it must be alright. As My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a documentary.

Edit: Oh, you will have to fly to Athens, and then get the fast ferry to the island. About 3hrs when I went. Sounds a bit of hassle, but it’s like a mini-cruise as you get to see all other islands on the way.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Pretty sure a greek honeymoon means the mother of the groom tags along with you? 😆

Santorini is nice, but can get very very busy in peak season with cruise ships coming in, although the people off the ships normally stay within the two main towns.

DrJ

Depends what you want. Santorini is spectacular, has some amazing hotels that would be good for a memorable stay, good restaurants (a bit of a rarity in most places), but as has been mentioned, it can be very touristy in the main town. The famous beaches are packed but there are plenty of quiet ones.

Sifnos is a place where Greek families go, and we had great holidays there when Miss J was a nipper.

Another place to think about is Andros – also fairly quiet, has an improbably fantastic art gallery, and easily accessible (from Rafina, not Piraeus).

rentachimp
    Free Member

Thanks for your suggestion, folks. I don’t think the mother in law is banking on going 😆

What about food and drink cost? Not sure if we should go B&B or Full board.

Slogo
    Free Member

The island of Kefalonia, especially Fiscardo. Is so beautiful. In the summer it is amazing. Best place in Greece! Ive just finished a season out there so know greece well.

mountain biking in Vasaliki (one of the top places to windsurf too) is suppose to be good which is a ferry ride away.

DrJ

Don’t go full board – you will likely get boring (!!) food. Restaurants are not expensive and you have the choice of where to go, explore the place and eat where you fancy – part of the fun 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

The island of Kefalonia, especially Fiscardo.

I was going to suggest Fiscado but my mother and father in law have just booked a Greek holiday and they say the prices there are astronomical now. It is beautiful though – just like a Cornish fishing village.

The thing I recall about Kafalonia though was the really cold water in most places – apparently this is because the island is really porous so the water travels through and mixes with the natural springs etc and gets spat out really cold. Dive down a few feet and the water warms up again as the cold water just sits on the surface.

Sidney
    Free Member

We were fortunate to go to Santorini on honeymoon last August. We did book quite late (i.e. week before) and flights were £900 on easyjet! We stayed in a nice hotel as well. We both loved it there but they have tried to set themselves up at the higher end of peoples budgets. We came away with a new appreciation of Santorinian wine (wine tour) and were spoilt with incredible sunsets every night. Food was nice and fairly reasonable. So whilst I would thoroughly recommend it I don’t know if you could do it on your budget by booking flights more in advance and not in school holidays etc…

Best of luck if you do go!

Sid

johndoh
    Free Member

I WANT GIGANTES AND KLEFTIKO NOW

gwaelod
    Free Member

I assumed it Was a euphemism for something.

AAAWOOOO!!

Leku
    Free Member

and I’d like a riding session at least once in the week we’re there.

Given it’s the honeymoon I would have assumed a bit more than that..

Harry_the_Spider

“Greek Honeymoon” I thought that was a euphemism for something vile that Germans do to each other.

lucien

Must resist temptation…….must resist……..

tonyg2003

Vassiliki is great. Good mtb-ing and windsurfing. Quiet and just a quick ferry trip to

Kefalonia, especially Fiscardo

ineedabeer
    Free Member

We are going to Santorini for our honeymoon in August we have a great hotel booked very luxurious family run with top class reviews, however it comes at a price of almost £3500 for a week!!!!!! OUCH but what the hell you only live once

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Went to Crete with the Mrs last summer and loved every minute of it. Definitely avoid all inclusive and get out and explore, the food in the tavernas up the road in the local village was mind blowing, and raki, lots and lots of raki!

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about a yacht charter? Or Kioni on Ithaca is very nice

godzilla
    Free Member

Kefalonia, Fiscado or Asos every time. lovely little place, you can tour round the island easily, we’ve been three times, first time was for a wedding so it has a romantic feel to me.
    Kefalonian meat pie is awesome.

Slogo
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Fiscado but my mother and father in law have just booked a Greek holiday and they say the prices there are astronomical now. It is beautiful though

Its not cheap but you get value for money. the food is fantastic. (i didnt pay for food or drink all summer 😀 ) its the place to be in greece. Madona and Matt Hoffman were there this year.

The thing I recall about Kafalonia though was the really cold water in most places – apparently this is because the island is really porous so the water travels through and mixes with the natural springs etc and gets spat out really cold. Dive down a few feet and the water warms up again as the cold water just sits on the surface.

The water is so deep, water tends to be colder in the Ionion because of this. im used to the tropics so anything under 20 is cold!

Kefalonian meat pie is awesome.

second that! i love a gyros!!!! The food is great for a few weeks lots of fresh fish, meat and veg. great cold beer too!

prawny

I’d go for kefalonia too, it was me and Mrs Prawny’s first holiday together, stunning place. We went to fiskardo twice it looked minging the second day we went, the water was all brown and murky so if it doesn’t look great the first time you go, definitely try again.

I don’t know what it would be like for mountain biking there, but I wouldn’t mind going back with my road bike, the middle of the island was lovely and quiet with some nice mountains.

Jamie
    Free Member

Very subtle.

mogrim

Very subtle.

Surely you’re not insinuating that avarv, member since July 3 2014, could possibly be spamming???

Jamie
    Free Member

Of course not. I am sure the OP is keen to get the info 4 months later.

joolsburger
    Free Member

rentachimp
    Free Member

Reviewing this now as about to book. Thanks for everyone who has contributed. Fancying a bit of scooter hire, too.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Tsilivi is where we’re looking, btw.

sadexpunk

went to tsilivi last year, loved it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Greek Honeymoon’ is closed to new replies.