Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Found my first Tick on my leg
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

I have avoided any known ticks for all of my years riding – now I found one on my leg from a mates car – He is a def Tick magnet – he regularly find at least one tick on him after a ride on Dartmoor.

Anyone else a Tick magnet?

For Example only 😉

fozzybear
    Free Member

does he have a dog per chance? or live/work on a farm?

taka
    Free Member

i got a tick in france head came off inside me so i had to cut it out with a knife lolz 😉

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Dog gets them all the time. See how long you can keep him for. Nice easy to manage pet. 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup he and his dog get them – He does use Advantix on his dog….. Think his car might be similar to the gorse on the moor 😉

I got the bugger out with tweezers but I’m not sure I got all of the mouth parts out (Hypostome – I’m a vet BTW 😉 )

They are just grim – Just wondered how many others get them riding or not – I seem to be fairly immune really!

jonb
    Free Member

NOt now I’ve moved out of the SW but I was. You should remove them ASAP as it decreases the chances of Lymes IIRC.

seven
    Free Member

On a serious note watch out for Lymes Disease Link

Mate and I got ticks on the same walk. He got Lymes, but i didn’t. Keep the tick once it’s out, and look out for symptoms.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Get yourself one of these tick removal tools we had them when I was in the army you really dont want to squeeze the Tick with tweezers or try and burn it off with a cigarette

http://simply2.co.uk/tick%20pages/howitworks.html

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup I know all about Lyme’s Disease (recent Tick borne disease lecture!) – But once ya bitten a bit late – not much you can do apart from removing them ASAP which I did – hadden had a blood meal!

coastkid
    Free Member

a cloth soaked in white spirit usually removes them,intresting army tick removel tool!!!

scaredypants

But once ya bitten a bit late … hadden had a blood meal!

risk of lyme increases significantly with length of “bite”

pantsonfire
    Free Member

But once ya bitten a bit late – not much you can do apart from removing them ASAP which I did – hadden had a blood meal!

Not true Lymes is usually only caught if the Tick has been on you for several hours if you can get it off pronto you should be fine

a cloth soaked in white spirit usually removes them

Bad idea the Ticks mandibles have rearward pointing hooks wiping them off with a cloth and there is a very good chance you will leave the jaws embedded in your flesh which will turn into a lovely big septic boil.

Did a Jungle survival course in Malaysia and a tour of Belize and got leeches on me quite a few times but one that still makes me shiver is the Candiru Fish it swims up your urinary tract (your knob) and has spines to stop it coming out and needs an agonizing operation to remove

foxyrider
    Free Member

An individual is at greatest risk for infection when a
    tick has been attached to the skin for more than 24 hours. Quote from a scientific paper.

Also it is called Lyme Borrielliosis.

They do also carry many more diseases infectious to your pets such as Anaplasmosis. Good to treat your pets with repelants/anti-tick yopical drugs if you live in a high risk area – here endeth the lecture 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

found my first one this morning (had it all night lol) didnt bother twisting it off in the correct way.. just ripped it off and was on my way.

i know someone that left one on and was growing it for a while.. the redness wasnt looking good. i wont say who it was.you all know the name. silly boy!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’ve had hundreds of ticks and not caught Lyme disease (I hope – there aren’t always immediate symptoms) – including one day whilst out photographing the Highlander Mountain Marathon when I had approx 200 ticks on my legs (mainly the very tiny ones) – so I would say, if you get a tick – Don’t Panic!

Ticks definitely seem more prevalent these days (climate change/global warming? – or just more deer around?) and I’d be interested to know if size of tick makes any difference. Anyone know?

spooky_b329

I normally get find them after kneeling in grass to take photos!

I find if you just pull them very gently they just come out, whereas if you crush them with tweezers it doesn’t matter which way you twist they tend to leave their jaws behind. Apparently it doesn’t matter which way you twist, its an old wives tail. Borrowed someones tick removal tool last time (they were excited as it hadn’t been used before), I couldn’t reach the tick so my girlfriend stepped in and prompty seperated the body from the head 🙄 Had to dig the remains out with a needle.

barrykellett
    Free Member

pantsonfire – Member

Did a Jungle survival course in Malaysia and a tour of Belize and got leeches on me quite a few times but one that still makes me shiver is the Candiru Fish it swims up your urinary tract (your knob) and has spines to stop it coming out and needs an agonizing operation to remove

I’ll give you £100 if you can find someone that has had the candiru fish swim up his piss and into his knob.
    I’m not denying that the fish exists, or that some guy once had the misfortune of getting one stuck in his urinary tract, but its pure urban myth that the thing swam up his pee stream. The alleged attack reported him as being in the water thigh deep. The fish jumped out of the water a few inches (depending on the length of his manhood!) if it did happen.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

We are removing ticks from our 5 dogs regularly. The only certain way to get them out without leaving part of the mouth is to carry one of the tick removal tools. They are only a couple of quid and take up no room or weight, so why wouldn’t you?

I know two people who are getting over Lymes Disease (one from gardening). After seeing the terrible impact it had on their life for over a year I am much more careful about post ride tick inspection, and using the tick hook if I find one.

SiB
    Free Member

How do you know if your dog has a tick or two? Daily walks across fields twice daily and I’ve never seen one on her, never checked her for them mind. Is it obvious when they have them? Detected by sight and touch?

singletracksurfer

yuck. Where can I buy just one of the (human) tick removal tools – what shop would stock them?

mrsflash
    Free Member

that circling tick removing technique seems to work, I had one behind my knee the other week and that did the trick.

singletracksurfer

great thanks. Will be down that way this summer so better get one.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Usually you won’t see a tick on a dog until it’s had a feed and grown/gone grey. Thay’ve had a few but had them removed with the correct tool and no further issues.
    We treat ours with Frontline and generally found it to be very good. That said the dogs don’t usually go in fields with sheep where I think the risk is higher.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you have a dog/dogs and are in or going to a tick infested area it is good to use prophylactic treatment like: Frontline, Advantix etc – These products are poisonous to aquatic life aparently so dont put them on and let the dog go into water immediately as it will also be washed off!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Dab of surgical spirit on the tick on dogs seems to get them off. No idea if this is proper protocol but works on killing them.

Dan67
    Free Member

Im guessing none of you have had a tick where I have had one. I managed to get one on me cock. Now that was uncomfortable explaining that to the nurses. I thought it was best going to the doctors as I had managed to rip its body off leaving its head in me. Luckily it hadnt been in long so was very small and the risk of lymes is very small at those stages. But finger crossed I havent got lymes

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Dan67 ticks love to crawl up into the warm moist crevices of your groin and genitals. I know plenty of men who have found a tick on their dick, i found one on my sack last week.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I’ve had a tick on my cock before too. Not very nice. I tend to pick them up quite regularly (although they ar usually on my legs!) and even brought three back from the Netherlands with me, a couple of months ago! It’s worth being cautious with them, getting them removed properly and keeping an eye on the bite area for a good while afterwards. From experience, the antibiotics that you get given for Lyme Disease aren’t a lot of fun either.

sharki
    Free Member

At least one ride during the tick season quite often more, highest count was 8 on a off piste adventure in the high bracken.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ewwwwwwwwww Ive never had one :S

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Found my first Tick on my leg’ is closed to new replies.