Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Exasperation content. How do YOU clean your windows?
  • pictonroad

I hate this job, I CANNOT for the life of me get the streaks off our windows (outside and inside). I’ve tried, vinegar, window cleaner, unbranded/branded, newspaper & microfibre cloths.

It looks fine for a few seconds, step back, low sun through the window and it’s STILL STREAKY 👿

Took some alcohol to them this morning, no better, I can see myself getting a bit obsessed with this.

what’s next to try? It’s like there’s some unbelievably stubborn greasy substance on there that I can’t get shot of.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do what?

Cougar

ThePinkster

I use car screen wash, diluted to about 20% solution in a spray bottle and then polish it off with a lint free cloth.

Works fine for me.

You sure the streaking isn’t inside the glazing units? Now that would be frustrating 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Karcher window vac – I too used to hate doing the job – I don’t mind cleaning the windows but getting back inside and noticing the streaks used to p*ss me off.

If the windows are fairly dirty I first use a bike washer to wet/blast them, then a bucket of hot water with window cleaner in it and a microfibre cleaning thingie on the outside. Then use the spray/cleaner* provided with the window vac and vac them dry.

* NOTE: buy the version of the vac with the spay/cleaner bottle – it makes the job *much* easier as you can spray/clean with one hand and vac with the other. The kit with vac and sprayer is cheaper than buying the vac and then realising that you should have bought the spray as well.

user-removed
    Free Member

Step one: drink the alcohol, you’re doing it wrong. Step two:wgaf anyway?

Srsly though, I use Windowlene and those grey paper towel things you sometimes still see in the gents – you can buy a box of 10,00000000 online for about £15. They are the secret ingredient.

fasthaggis

I can see myself getting a bit obsessed with this.

Have you tried snake venom yet?

pictonroad

I’m going to order everything suggested in this thread, drink half of it and get stuck in.

WGAF. IGAF, it’s the futility of it, I’ve put it off long enough. 😈 😡

GrahamS

I pay a tax-dodging window cleaner in cash.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Outside – self cleaning glass 🙂

Insides I use Autoglym Fast Glass and a microfibre cloth. Same as what I use on the van.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

wet newspaper FTW

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Just leave it to the wife 🙄

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I suppose I should have but I’ve not cleaned my house windows in the ten years I’ve lived there.

BenjiM

Karcher Window Vac does a great job for us. Borrow it of the inlaws!

towzer

vinegar and paper (best without fish and chip stains…)

user-removed
    Free Member

GrahamS = R4 listener. They’ve been banging in about it for days now. Interviewing window cleaners and clients. Again, wganactualf.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    I pay a tax-dodging window cleaner in cash.

This ^

Vanilla, obviously.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Diluted Halfords car windscreen wash and a squeegee does the job.

hels
    Free Member

A guy knocks on the front door every so often and offers to do them all for £20, inside and out.

I sometimes do the inside myself when the sun comes in and I notice the dirt, vinegar and newsprint seems to work. And elbow grease.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Karcher Window Vac does a great job for us

I got one of these about 4 months ago…. certainly makes cleaning the inside much much easier.
    Outside is done by my manservant 🙂

jamesy01
    Free Member

Steam cleaner followed by a microfibre cloth

PiknMix
    Free Member

Any old glass cleaner and newspaper ftw.

I do inside with vertical strokes and outside with horizontal strokes, that way if I notice any streaks I know which side of the pane they are on 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

Twop Twip from Mr Pik n Mix. BOOM! You just don’t get this shizzle on Mumsnet.

nuke

Just get a good quality kit (with brands like Ettore). I went with one like this… http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=110688792464&category=112579&pm=1&ds=0&t=1424696484004

Works very well inside and out, quick and simple…ive still havent used all the HG cleaner it came with after 4 years or so

pictonroad

That Karcher is £50, I think I’ll try the the spray from Halfords and then I’ll try hammering some smaller self cleaning windows over the existing ones.

joshvegas
    Free Member

wash , squeegee from left to right starting at the top so the water runs down the still dirty glass then cloth down the dribbly side and base of glass.

easy.

DrP

The best thing about cleaning really dirty windows, is that it’s like giving the inside of your house a fresh coat of paint!!
    When I get round to cleaning ours, the hallway/lounge look amazing too..not that ‘dirt specced dingepot’ it currently is..

DrP

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I put cleaning windows in the same category as cleaning the car, the can’t be bothered category.

Bruce

We just dont clean the windows. Will I go to hell?

user-removed
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member
    I put cleaning windows in the same category as cleaning the car, the can’t be bothered category.

I had to go and buy some shit from Morrisons this morning. Bloody car wash was closed, just after I’d committed myself to spending six quid on the wax wash. Devastated.

DezB
    Free Member

I cleaned the windows on my house once. Were They streaky afterwards? I really didn’t care enough to check. (Got rid of all the spidders though, that was the main thing)

timidwheeler

What Cougar said.
    Buy a good squeegy from B&Q. It is really easy to use and produces streak free windows. I just wash the windows with water and a rag then squeegy off. No need for any sprays or cleaners. Perfect everytime.

globalti
    Free Member

I actually polish mine with car polish, that gets them absolutely spotless AND leaves them slippery so that dirt sticks less and water beads up and runs off.

It has to be the kind of polish that dries chalky like Windolene so that you can polish it clean with a dry towel. As far as I can see the formulation for car polish isn’t too different from the professional glass cleaner we used when I valeted cars as a student – just a heavier solvent to allow for longer polishing time.

Obsessional? Moi?

deadkenny
    Free Member

People clean their windows? ! 😯

Though I do wonder why it’s so dark in the house sometimes.

bigG
    Free Member

I pay a window cleaner £5.50 to do it for me every four weeks. I get clean windows and all the time that it would have taken me for free.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

Previously tried all other methods mentioned above with no success.

Karcher window vac + generic liquid window cleaner in warm water. Do inside everytime, sometimes outside if window cleaner has been lazy.
    Takes about 30 minutes and are always spotless.
    Lately been using the Karcher after showering, extends the cleaning cycle of the shower glass and tiles no end.

bear-uk
    Free Member

As a tax dogging window cleaner my advice is. Do not use window cleaning products as they are generally pants.
    Easy way without applicator and blade is to use 2 microfibre cloths. Get yourself some Ecover washing up liquid and put a few drops in some water. Fill a squeegee bottle and lightly mist the glass. Wipe off with a dry cloth. On large windows use 1 damp cloth to wipe the glass. Use boiled water if its poor in your area.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Outside: pay a window cleaner.
    Inside: Mr Muscle glass cleaner and kitchen roll

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Exasperation content. How do YOU clean your windows?’ is closed to new replies.