Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Cat sh!t
  • ransos
    Free Member

Cats bury their faeces.

Myth. And even if it were true, said turd will be there the next time you’re weeding the borders. Yuk.

messiah
    Free Member

This stuff from the local garden centre worked for us.

jarvo
    Free Member

I feel your pain. Although mine was from a local male cat whom hadn’t had his nuts chopped. My cat had a collar which activated our catflap. However this tomcat realised he could approach my catflap, pull it open with his claw and just wander in … totally avoiding the security mechanism.

He would merrily spray his scent up all my curtains, doors, sofa, chair legs etc. None of the above seemed to work. 🙁

unklehomered
    Free Member

The high pitch electonic things work well for me. Alas they only go up to ‘strong’. I was hoping for higher settings of ‘spasm’, ‘unconcious’ and ‘involuntary cranial eruption’. But alas no…

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

“Cats bury their faeces”

Absolute rubbish spouted by selfish cat owners, theres always one.

unklehomered
    Free Member

“Cats bury their faeces”

Well they sort of do, but when in the hole that used to have my beetroot in its not exactly an impressive trick…

dan1980
    Free Member

On the whole, cats do bury their poop as they don’t want to signal to other moggies or potential predators that they’re about.

If a cat is crapping on your yard, it’s because it thinks it’s the dominant animal in the neighbourhood, and is just sticking it’s poopy flag up saying “Look at me, I’m the boss”

The solution…. I’m not sure, I’ve never had any luck deterring crappage I’m afraid. But for all those suggesting violence etc. to the cat, I bet you are “well ‘ard” trying to frighten or hut things a 10th of your size, way to go at being a total hero…. 😕

patriotpro
    Free Member

They’re vile creatures. Should I ever manage to catch one in the act of shitting in my garden, I’m going to pop the poo in a wee bag and strap it round the bastards neck so the can take it home to their owner.

:lol:ing at the vision of this 😆

On a serious note, I had the same problem to the point the kids actually brought some in the house on their shoes.

I found the prop we use to prop up the clothes line was a VERY effective deterrent.

hilldodger
    Free Member

dan1980 – Member
    …..it thinks it’s the dominant animal in the neighbourhood, and is just sticking it’s poopy flag up saying “Look at me, I’m the boss”

…and my size 10 up it’s jacksie says “no you’re not matey” 😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

Absolute rubbish spouted by selfish cat owners, theres always one.

All right, easy there tiger (see what I did there 😉 ). You know those of us that have cats don’t do it so that we can piss our neighbors off, nor do we send them to special cat poop school to train them to poop on your yard/lawn etc.

I was just saying that it might not be a cat that’s all. Foxes are pretty guilty of this behaviour as well.

dan1980
    Free Member

Unfortunately, as cats don’t understand the reasons for violence being directed towards them by a human following their strategically placed dump, it’s almost certainly unlikely to actually stop the crappage, they’ll just do it when you aren’t around.

It absolutely baffles me that a lot of people seem to think that animals think like humans, and can be treated as such to encourage, or discourage particular behaviours.

They’ve chosen to dump the kiddies off on a yard/lawn etc because it’s a prominent place where other cats will see their territorial markings, if you get rid of it, they’ll just come and do it again, to keep marking their territory. The suggestion of lion crap is that it’s from a larger cat, so will discourage the little domestic moggy from thinking it’s top banana in the neighbourhood.

You could try taking a dump next to the cat crap and see if that ultimately discourages them….

I’m guessing cat repellent powders work by trying mask the cat poop smell, but will get washed away in rain.

ransos
    Free Member

You know those of us that have cats don’t do it so that we can piss our neighbors off, nor do we send them to special cat poop school to train them to poop on your yard/lawn etc.

Have you ever asked your neighbours if your cat’s been fouling their gardens? If so, did you offer to clean it up?

geetee1972
    Free Member

One thing that is very selfish of cat owners though is not having male cats neutered. That makes them more territorial and aggressive and exasperates the problems described above.

That failure is something that people do have a right to get annoyed with.

zokes
    Free Member

Unfortunately, as cats don’t understand the reasons for violence being directed towards them by a human following their strategically placed dump, it’s almost certainly unlikely to actually stop the crappage, they’ll just do it when you aren’t around.

Depends how effective the violence is. I don’t see many dead cats crapping in gardens…

On a slightly more serious note, I found a well aimed bucket of water every time I saw in in my old garden soon made its visits somewhat less frequent. It also cleaned the patio.

FOG

This is one of my ongoing crusades. We live in a studenty area so the first thing student girlee does when getting away from home is buy an ickle cutee kitty that grumpy old dad would never let her have at home because it would crap in the garden. Round about now as the parasites return to uni the cat population quadruples as does the cat crap. I have tried loads of things but the most effective was not my doing, a family of foxes dug a den under the neighbours hedge which seems to have discouraged the cats. Foxes are trouble as well but they still don’t leave the sheer volume of crap the cats did

hilldodger
    Free Member

dan1980 – Member
    Unfortunately, as cats don’t understand the reasons for violence being directed towards them by a human following their strategically placed dump, it’s almost certainly unlikely to actually stop the crappage,

……….dead cats lay no logs 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

Supersoaker laced with lemon juice and a little cayenne. You need a clear shot into the unblinking eye. Non-fatal and it does work. May take a couple of tries but it does work.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Myth. And even if it were true, said turd will be there the next time you’re weeding the borders. Yuk.

I’ve seen cats do their business hundreds of times (including the family cat we had when I was a nipper). They all attempt to bury it. Never seen one just take a dump a bog off.

However, many older cats or fat cats aren’t very good at it. Sometimes they barely make a hole big enough or they pick a piece of ground that they struggle to scrape the surface then end up doing their stuff turn around and try to cover it up but fail. Then go off looking guilty.

And yes it’s a pain for gardeners in a way, though it’s biodegradable and depending what they’ve been eating it may be good for the soil 😉 . Dog crap on the other hand is no good for anything. Though at least it isn’t white any more.

jono84
    Free Member

I find a fac rated air rifle is boss enough for the job they don’t like it up em ! , on a serious note tho we use to get cat crap in the garden when we first moved in but we have a dog an they don’t seem to bother any more so there maybe is something in the whole territory thing that an I ditch wee outside on occasion

vorlich
    Free Member

I find a fac rated air rifle is boss enough for the job

Back and to the left, back and to the left. 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

It absolutely baffles me that a lot of people seem to think that animals think like humans, and can be treated as such to encourage, or discourage particular behaviours.

They do to the extent that they will soon work out that pooing in a certain spot results in a kick up the arse (or similar) and therefore look elsewhere – on their owner’s door-steps. (If only).

In the same way they visit the old lady at the end of the street cos she gives them gold-top milk and crisp fish-‘eads.

Sandwich

Motion detecting auto paintball gun. Problem solved and pretty coloured cats too. Which is nice.

vorlich
    Free Member

But for all those suggesting violence etc. to the cat, I bet you are “well ‘ard” trying to frighten or hut things a 10th of your size, way to go at being a total hero.

Cat owner are we? Here’s a suggestion. Take some responsibility for your pet, rather than sending it out to shit all over the neighbourhood with impunity. Your pet has no right to be in my garden, camped out under the bird table, impacting my enjoyment of my garden. Oh well, out of sight out of mind eh?

zokes
    Free Member

I bet you are “well ‘ard” trying to frighten or hut things a 10th of your size, way to go at being a total hero.

Seems fair enough, given what cats do to the local wildlife for fun.

masterbetty
    Free Member

Always mildly amuses me that people get so worked up at animals pooing in “their” garden. Just because we put a fence round a small section of the earth we can’t expect animals to follow the “owners” rules. Birds pooing in my garden really winds me up, and don’t get me started hedgehogs! Grrrrr.

Dogs, as someone pointed out earlier as a fair comparison is nonsense. Dogs have owners with them so it’s reasonable to expect the owner to act responsibly.

Anyway, the only way to deal with it (unless you have anger/violence issues) is like the Aussie guy in the previous YouTube clip… Bit of a light hearted challenge.

druidh
    Free Member

ftfy

labsey
    Free Member

Buy an eagle.

zokes
    Free Member

Always mildly amuses me that people get so worked up at animals pooing in “their” garden. Just because we put a fence round a small section of the earth we can’t expect animals to follow the “owners” rules. Birds pooing in my garden really winds me up, and don’t get me started hedgehogs! Grrrrr.

Dogs, as someone pointed out earlier as a fair comparison is nonsense. Dogs have owners with them so it’s reasonable to expect the owner to act responsibly.

Cats are not wild animals, they do have owners. Some cat owners choose to allow their animals to roam and crap where they like. That’s the owner’s irresponsible choice though, so maybe once the owner is identified, the air-rifle / rock will have a more appropriate target?

There’s an easy way to make the dog / cat comparison more correct – force cat owners to take ownership of their creature’s actions, just like dog owners have to be. In many Australian councils, cats do not have freedom to roam / crap, must be brought in at night, and can only be let out into enclosures.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Buy an eagle

Yep.. a Desert Eagle 50 AE cal Handgun

A bit drastic and possibly illegal

Edit.. and dont let your wife / OH have a pop at the cats..

masterbetty
    Free Member

Hmm. Some cats are actually wild. Plenty in fact.

So shooting an air gun at the owner (if it has one) is your suggestion? Because of a bit of poo? Really?

zokes
    Free Member

Hmm. Some cats are actually wild. Plenty in fact.

That would make them introduced feral pests then?

dan1980
    Free Member

vorlich – Member

Cat owner are we?

I’m loving the rant, but no, I don’t own a cat, I just have respect for animals and don’t feel the need to “big up” my manly credentials by suggesting violence to other creatures on an anonymous internet forum. I find it all a bit pathetic really, as someone famous once wrote (I can’t be bothered to google it) “Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.” If you get that worked up about a bit of poo in your garden, I’d suggest anger management classes may be a good idea.

zokes
    Free Member

If you get that worked up about a bit of poo in your garden, I’d suggest anger management classes may be a good idea.

Or remove the cause of said anger i.e. the cat?

vorlich
    Free Member

I’m not ‘bigging up’ anything. I’m not trying to impress anyone, if I was trying to impress my manly credentials on anyone, I’d probably think up a better means of doing so than firing foam discs from a child’s toy at a cat. 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’d suggest anger management classes may be a good idea.

Suggest all you like. I’ll stick with the clothes prop method, for as long as it’s effective.

Here’s a suggestion for you though – Go learn (and apply) the same amount of respect for your fellow HUMANS as you apparently have for cats.

For the record, what’s betting all the cat-shite sympathisers either live in a flat/appartment block, don’t have a garden or have a garden and don’t suffer the already mentioned cat-shite problem…

zokes
    Free Member

or have a garden and don’t suffer the already mentioned cat-shite problem…

Most probably because their cat does their business elsewhere

dan1980
    Free Member

Here’s a suggestion for you though – Go learn (and apply) the same amount of respect for your fellow HUMANS as you apparently have for cats.

For the record, what’s betting all the cat-shite sympathisers either live in a flat/appartment block, don’t have a garden or have a garden and don’t suffer the already mentioned cat-shite problem…

I do try and apply respect to fellow humans, I just loose that respect when they think that violence is funny or an option, in any situation, especially where animals are concerned.

As for your 2nd point, I live in an end terrace with a yard that usually has dog eggs in it from irresponsible owners who I’ve seen go as far as open my gate to allow their dog to do it’s morning constitutional on my paving. As for cats, they use my flowerbeds as a toilet, so I wear gloves as and when I do the gardening. I don’t get angry, and don’t get an irrational hatred of moggies because they dump around my dandelions. Life’s to short.

Fundamentally, it’s an animal doing what comes instinctively to it. It’s not a learned response. They don’t understand the concept of property, or man-made divisions of land etc. You can’t train them to understand such concepts, and other than frightening them, or hurting them, you’re not actually achieving anything….

ransos
    Free Member

Fundamentally, it’s an animal doing what comes instinctively to it. It’s not a learned response. They don’t understand the concept of property, or man-made divisions of land etc. You can’t train them to understand such concepts, and other than frightening them, or hurting them, you’re not actually achieving anything….

Which is why it’s up to the owner to clear up after them.

zokes
    Free Member

If that’s the case, how come their owners can train them not to crap on the living room floor ❓

so I wear gloves as and when I do the gardening.

Good for you. I see no reason why anyone should have to though, primarily because of the above.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Use to have an old boy at the end of the row who administered the super soaker to the little blighters. Very sadly he passed away last year now not only have we lost a neighbour and friend we’ve lost most of the songbirds and gained a load of cat sh!t. Have made repeated requests to neighbours to fit bells and litter train their beasts (very doable) to no avail.

Also got a twelve month old who I’d like to spend a significant portion of next summer (if we get one) in the garden without the risk (or at least at lower risk) of him pawing through sh!te. So invective and polarised head butting apart, If anyones got anything useful to say on this subject tell me now ‘cos my patience is wearing thin.

has anyone gone the statutory nuisance route?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Cat sh!t’ is closed to new replies.