Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Cat poo
  • Pook

A cat, which is definitely not my next doors neighbour's, oh no, has taken to crapping on a raised bed where we've got food planted. I've put down mesh , but it now just does it on top of that. It doesn't seem to be bothered by chilli powder.

What can i do that will stop the poo without me having to sit on permanent guard with a gun? And doesn't involve nuking it from orbit, despite that being the only way to be sure?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jamie
    Free Member

We really need a cat sub-forum.

iDave
    Free Member

wave your iPhone 4 at it

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Get a cat of your own!

duntstick
    Free Member

Berberis (or other thorny shrub) clippings. Chop up and sprinkle on raised beds.

flyingfox
    Free Member

You can get a cat scarer – it makes a high-pitched noise when cats come close. White ones are generally deaf apparently so don't always get scared away and some try to square up to it. However, it mostly works – no more crap in my veg patch and they're not about as often (and certainly not in that part of the garden) killing the birds.

Babbel
    Free Member

I've got a similar problem.
    I've tried
    Orange peel
    Ultra sonic PIR alarm thingy
    Green jelly granules
    Gralic granules
    Horribly spiky twigs/branches
    The orange peel didn't seem to help, the Ultra sonic seems effective, but hard to be sure as I've not tried it on its own, the granules seemed to work too but are expensive. Covering the soil with plenty of spiky branches works well understandably and is cheap too!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren't you meant to pee on the bed?

Pook

ok. I have lots of spiky branches. That's the next attack.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I bought my son a Supersoaker and have had no problem with cats since.

yetidave
    Free Member

I have heard that Lion poo/pee works. However that just means you have big cat poo on your garden instead of neighbours cat poo.

edit – I undertand you can get Lion poo from most zoos – edit

Dylan08
    Free Member

Get used to veg that tastes of poo? Its seen as a delicacy in some cultures… 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Spikey branches have been working for us so far. I was wondering if we are legally required to return the poo to the cat's owners as we are with over-hanging branches.

molgrips
    Free Member

White ones are generally deaf apparently

I've read that that's not true.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Your veg is pretty good at filtering the nutrients out of the poo and turning it into something edible, nature's been doing that for millions of years, leave it to it? Of course you could get worked up over it but you'd need to put it in a greenhouse to try to stop the birds/insects/mice/rats/voles etc pooing in it too.

Best option, other than MTFUing, is to raise the mesh on sticks into a box-like setup that's taller than the cats legs and taut, it won't like it if the net comes up under its armpits.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've read that that's not true.

I believe, but I'm no expert, the white gene is linked to an increased likelyhood of deafness (just so happen to occur together) and so some are but it's just a wives tale that all white cats are.

ski
    Free Member

pook had the same problem in my garden, in the end I made a net frame which covers our veg.

Solved the problem, does not look pretty mind & does not stop them using my lawn instead 😉

On the BBC, Gardeners World Show, they mentioned a plant called Coleus Canina (I think) that was good for deterring cats, never tried it, but might be worth looking into?

molgrips
    Free Member

95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.
    5% of the general cat population is white cats (i.e. pure white). 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes.
    Of those white cats with one or two blue eyes, 60-80% are deaf; 20-40% have normal hearing; 30-40% had one blue eye and were deaf while 60-70% had one blue eye and normal hearing.
    Of the 5% of white cats in the overall population, 60-80% had eyes of other colors (e.g. orange, green). Of those 10- 20% were deaf and 80-90% had normal hearing.
    Deaf white cats with one or two blue eyes account for 0.25 – 1.5 of total cat population
    Total number of cats with white coat and blue eyes account for 0.75 – 2.0% of total cat population

So there.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So that means that white cats have a higher likelyhood of being deaf than normal cats, no?

jahwomble
    Free Member

"White ones are generally deaf apparently"

We had a pure white one, deaf as a bleeding post it was,though that may just be a coincidence. It used make a right racket trying to sneak along the fence to get at birds and squirrels , mewling away and with a huge bell dangling off it, whilst they just sat there looking at it and taking the p**s. It used to bring leaves,crisp packets, mars bar etc wrappers back instead of mice.

ski
    Free Member

We had a pure white one, deaf as a bleeding post it was,though that may just be a coincidence. It used make a right racket trying to sneak along the fence to get at birds and squirrels , mewling away and with a huge bell dangling off it, whilst they just sat there looking at it and taking the p**s. It used to bring leaves,crisp packets, mars bar etc wrappers back instead of mice.

LOL, we had a frog left as a offering for us by one of ours yesterday, kids managed to bring it back to life in the bath, now they want to keep the thing as a pet!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I hate cats. I hate the one that's taken to carping on my front lawn even more. How do you get rid of cats………….

…get a Lurcher 😈

cynic-al
    Free Member

edit – I undertand you can get Lion poo from most zoos – edit

Do they do the stuff for running your moped?

molgrips
    Free Member

So that means that white cats have a higher likelyhood of being deaf than normal cats, no?

Yes, CK, I was posting to agree with you. But it is also true that it is a statistical trend rather than a rule.

I have hardly ever seen a cat poo in grass that wasn't overly long. So keep your lawn tidy 🙂

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Jeyes fluid sprayed around the area seems to work (obviously not on your veg)
    Maybe a couple of tea bags soaked in it placed around your planter may do the trick.

Pook

molgrips, I don't have a lawn.

sssimon
    Free Member

white pepper worked for us

and a saucepan full of water once in a while, my aim got pretty good by the time we moved, even from a second floor window

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Mouse traps hidden under the soil. Makes a nice cheap landmine 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

guns and antifreeze are notable in there absense i see…..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mouse traps hidden under the soil. Makes a nice cheap landmine

LOL! Now I want to try that….

coffeeking
    Free Member

guns and antifreeze are notable in there absense i see…..

Good job. Antifreeze is a horrific way to die.

allthegear
    Free Member

Antifreeze? What's that do?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stop it getting cold in winter?

JonBurns
    Free Member

We have a Ginner Tom cat a few doors down which insists on peeing on our car bumpers. It's really freaking annoying 😳

Coyote
    Free Member

How does a cat know what a lion is? Unless it's an avid nature programme watcher. In which case, hide the remote.

Supersoaker loaded with lemon juice* fired up the unblinking eye will make it run like **** too. It will also make it very wary of you.

Cat lover here before anyone gets all arsey. I just object to them crapping in my garden.
    *a little chili sauce doesn't go amiss either… 😉

sssimon
    Free Member

Cat lover here before anyone gets all arsey. I just object to them crapping in my garden.

so you send them to sh1te in someone elses? you live in Pook's street?

basehead
    Free Member

I've tried two tactics at once so I don't know which worked, but I now have no problems with cat **** whatsoever.

a. I started growing mint and lovage mixed in with my plants. Very pungent herbs and I figure the cats don't like them.
    b. In a moment of inspiration i thought 'if they can't sit, they can't …' so I pushed some 4" high wire bordering into the ground, zig zagged across the dirt.

Coyote
    Free Member

so you send them to sh1te in someone elses? you live in Pook's street?

Don't have a cat at the moment, so I suppose the answer is no.

david_r
    Free Member

iDave – Member

wave your iPhone 4 at it

That made me laugh.

ski
    Free Member

Don't have a cat at the moment

You might not own one, but there will be a cat that thinks it owns your turf somewhere 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Cat poo’ is closed to new replies.