Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Best "Pot Noodle" or equivalent
  • scotroutes

Just looking to stock up the van for overnighters and was thinking of keeping some easily-heated food in. Porage pots are a goody but I was wondering if there was something more savoury that would hit the spot after a cold, wet ride. I want something that has a long shelf life, can be reconstituted with nothing more than hot water and comes in its own container.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t buy Pot Noodles, save money and fill some flower pots with old shoelaces, grit and Tabasco sauce. Pretty much the same thing.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Tinned ravioli.

onehundredthidiot

“Look what I’ve found” heat in a bag, tasty good range. Add noodles or couscous. Takes about 5 mins to make and really hits the spot.

sandwicheater

Pasta sauce sachet and salami are my go to long lasting quick food. Quick and filling.

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Nip into Lidl and buy some of their packets of noodles. 18p a pack, need nothing more than a container and some hot water. If you want to customise them put them in a ziplock bag with some additions (veg, pepperami, etc.)……… 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pot Noodle, nothing else comes close.

Apart from tinned ravioli heated with hot water of course.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hit the ‘ethnic’ aisle of your local big supermarket, or the chinese supermarket next time you’re in civilisation, lots of stuff in both that are better than a nigel.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nigel?

steezysix
    Free Member

Microwaveable rice packets (about 50p from Sainsburys) are pretty good, just do them like a boil in the bag. Not as light as rehydrated food but if you’re keeping them in your van it won’t be an issue. Also +1 for the Look what we made stuff.

shaggy

I like Kabuto Noodles. I would need more to make it a meal, but certainly a nicer alternative to a pot noodle. Chilli Chicken Ramen is my favorite.

benp1

Go into the world food aisle and buy the instant noodles from there

Don’t let folk on here put you off – if you go to East Asia you’ll be amazed at how popular they are!

votchy
    Free Member

Kebab flavour Pot Noodle, food of the gods 😀

wombat

Go into the world food aisle and buy the instant noodles from there

Don’t let folk on here put you off – if you go to East Asia you’ll be amazed at how popular they are!

Of course if you are in East Asia its called the Food Aisle 😉

scruff9252

Wouldn’t dream of eating a pot noodle in real life however always keep a stock of them on the boat for what you describe.

Good, easy food to warm you up when bashing into a cold headwind on a long slog.

stevie750

Curry koka noodles

Stevet1
    Free Member

You will need bread, preferably white and a little bit stale for a pot noodle sandwich is surely the best way to eat a pot noodle?

kimbers

scotroutes

Thank you kimbers. That looks exactly the sort of thing I was looking for – and there’s even a veggie version for the fussy eaters wife.

Gunz
    Free Member

I fuelled a 24/12 entirely with Pot Noodles and they kept me going physically and mentally with a nice bit of 3am warmth (the effect on my guts after eating 8 in 24 hours was less to write home about though).

flyingmonkeycorps

Another vote for Kabuto Noodles. I also like the chilli chicken best. I’ve tried a few instant noodle pots and they are by far my favourite.

peachos
    Free Member

As above – your local chinese supermarket will have loads of instant noodle varieties that are much better than pot noodles. Also if you go to a world foods supermarket (e.g. Worldwide Foods) you can buy tinned curries that are decent – saag paneer, chickpeas etc all good and quick!

chorlton
    Free Member

Been getting John West steam pots for work recently. Different flavours of Cous cous and tuna. Ready in 5 minutes and quite filling.

pondo
    Free Member

Pot Noodle, nothing else comes close.

FTW – end of thread.

brassneck

There was a rice n lentil pot in the wholefoods that was surprisingly tasty and almost good for you. Can’t find it anymore.

z1ppy

A previous STW thread announced that Sapporo Ichiban (miso ramen) are the best instant noodle you can buy.. I’m still looking for the buggers, will try the Kabuto Noodles, as I’ve seen them in tesco’s (the shame)

Otherwise, as per arachnidlover, lidl instant noodle are a bargain, I tend to use them in Huge’s pot noodle recipe, though I tend to do a 50/50 split of water/passata (from lidl too)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was in a local Asda yesterday and they were stumped by the prospect of microwaveable Pasta.

“It’s a bit exotic” apparently.

martinhutch

Instant noodles with extra chorizo and shitake mushrooms. Weighs next to nowt to carry, really satisfying.

richardthird

Packet noodles (curry flavour) with a tin of tuna mixed in. Yum!

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

I always keep a couple of these in my cupboard at home, for emergencies:

Really tasty, and pretty spicy (depending on flavour)

They stock them at my local Morrisons

dufresneorama
    Free Member

These from costco…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I just buy piles of Noodle meals from the local Thai supermarkets.
    Most come with additional flavouring sachets.

Much cheaper than Pot Noodles and a lot better.

devash
    Free Member

Nissin Cup Noodles were always my favorite but you can only seem to get them from Chinese or Asian grocery stores now.

Proper Golden Wonder Pot Noodles are absolutely disgusting.

sweepy
    Free Member

If you really must have a cup then naked brand are nice. But the best ever IMO are Mama brand tom yum, avaliable from tesco and delicious.
    An old pot noodle cup can be kept and reused, and are in fact a cheap and lightweight camping mug for the weight/cost conscious.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Noodle afficionados know it’s all about Nongshim Shin Ramyun noodles…

higgo
    Free Member

Bombay Bad Boy

williamnot
    Free Member

Ko-lee go noodles from the world food bit in tesco are really good. tom yum flavour is awesome

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Aldi flavoured couscous sachets every time for me. Put in a mug/bow, add some hot water and wait about 5 mins.

They are also really good nutritionally with about 1:4 protein to complex carbs and dirt cheap.

tillydog
    Free Member

‘Tiger’ brand pot noodles are bloomin’ delicious, as are their instant noodles. Local Sainsbury has stopped stocking them, though. They have a wall of own-brand, Pot Noodle & Bachelors stuff that are just minging.

Have had to resort to ‘Mama’ noodles from Tesco instead (which are OK, but not as good as Tiger)

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

2nd for the Shin Cup! Don’t use all the powder at one, about 3/4 will do you right.
    Apparently Sainsburys stopped selling them due to irradiated ingredients……..
    Still the tastiest thing in the world!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Best "Pot Noodle" or equivalent’ is closed to new replies.