Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Best Bags for Carry On Luggage??
  • burnsybhoy
    Free Member

This forum never lets you down when looking for pointers on boring things.

Looking for keenly priced luggage that fits within budget airline dimensions.

What you got?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Trunki!

benp1

Depends if you want to carry it or wheel it

I’ve been on LOADS of flights with my Lowe Alpine TT Carry On 40. I used to travel for work a lot, short and long haul. I only ever took hand luggage, managed to pack for work and pleasure in the same bag, including all work IT paraphenalia. Including suits, shoes and even black tie sometimes!

LeeW

Look on TK Maxx online, choose something that fits your budget. Hand luggage is pretty much always under your control so you don’t really have to worry about anyone slinging it around without care.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My advice is not to go cheap, I travel quite a lot for work and after various low(ish) budget cases. i eventually got one of these

best travel decision ever.

Separate compartments to sort clothes, then the middle section for all the stuff that needs to be pulled out at security, without showing your smalls to all and sundry, and those straps allow an overstuffed bag to be pulled in tight and get through the size checks

Can be had for cheaper than priced here. In a few months, you will be so pleased you bought it.

Pyro

I bought the cumbersomely named Lowe Alpine AT Lightflite 45 for a trip to Jersey a couple of weeks ago. Grand bit of kit, not rigid backed but light, roomy and within SleazyJet’s allowance. Comes with a shoulder strap as well as a foldaway set of rucksack straps. Dead handy.

arcing
    Free Member

CharlieMungus I have the same, and came in here to recommend it. Great bag.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

🙂

HansRey

that eastpak looks great!

jimdubleyou

The medium size waterproof duffles (e.g. North Face, but everybody does them now) fit most cabin allowances.

If you can put up with your stuff not being separated, it’s a good option.

DickBarton

Barbara Windsor would be good if they are needing bags for a new carry on film…

sheeps

Osprey Farpoint 40

molgrips
    Free Member

Osprey Farpoint 40 – outstanding. Carry on sized with a shoulder strap, also converts to a decent rucksack.

BigJohn

I got a super light pull along from tesco for £30 that fits monarchs dimensions. Very good indeed and using it right now on hols in Croatia

sadexpunk

good timely thread, just back from zante and wondering whether to change bags. at present i use a small ‘wheeled’ bag with extendable handle for cabin duties but think it may be a bit overkill for the small amount of stuff i need for the flight. i see plenty of people with rucksacks, duffle bags etc and have been pondering doing the same.
    i have an old duffle bag for beach duties, holding towel, wallet, phone, headphones etc.

does anyone combine the two? was thinking bout using a duffle bag type thing for cabin duties, then use it on the beach too. just wondering tho whether itd get knackered too quick…..

thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sadexpunk, I use a large, plain black Timbuk2 courier bag as my carry on luggage. And as my day out as a tourist around wherever work takes me. And as a beach bag when I’m taken somewhere with a beach. And as the bag is take to meetings wherever work takes me.

Ten years old or so. Looks almost new. Brilliant.

dannybgoode

+1 to TK Maxx-always have a good selection of cases. Also +1 to spend as much as you can afford. Better handle, wheels and lighter weight all seem to feature on the more pricey options.

Bear in mind that different airiness have slightly different size restrictions so go for the smallest you can so as not to fall foul of even the most stingy of allowances.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member
    The medium size waterproof duffles (e.g. North Face, but everybody does them now) fit most cabin allowances.

This is what I have (the small TNF) and found it’s the perfect dimension for all the airlines I’ve been with in the last 10 years (namely BA, Monarch, Ryanair, Jet2, easyjet). Good if you want one that can be holdall, rucksack and/or shoulder strap.

jupiter
    Free Member

If you need wheels you are carrying too much.
    Try the Carryology website for some info.

ahsat

Osprey Fairpoint 40. Used it loads including a 2 week trip to Japan…yes hand luggage only!

beej

Eastpak for a wheeled one. I’ve got a medium size one too, lots of recommendations from aircrew in the various reviews on Amazon.

Courier bag for when you’ve checked in luggage and just want something to carry on.

jamiep
    Free Member

I recommend the Eastpak Tranverz too. I’ve a S (carry-on) and a M

therag
    Free Member

Got mine from a petrol station for £10. Max size for the compartment and it’s been used at least 20 times so far. If it breaks I’ll replace it with exactly the same.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I use a 30L Lomo dry bag. I can fit enough in for a weeks sailing holiday, it’s a decent rucksack and it keeps stuff … er, dry!

Just £26.

AlasdairMc

Yet another vote for the Osprey Farpoint 40. I can ride across London comfortably with it, the rucksack harness isn’t an afterthought and it is a good quality pack overall.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Eastpak transverz s

rogg
    Free Member

Or Eastpak Transverz 2?

tonyplym
    Free Member

Alpkit Kitbag 30 is a simple but strong cordura duffle bag that might be worth considering @ £40. Doesn’t come with a shoulder strap so worth budgeting an extra £5 for their Strapp strap.

Skyliner
    Free Member

No……you need to go cheap! Like these for £12. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90241142/

Leave you more money for beer and hookers 🙂
    (They are actually really good for the money)

seadog101

Not to sound smug, but I get sent on many flights by my employers. Often very cheaply.. 🙄

My bag of choice is Eastpak, the Tranverz xS is one size down form the biggest most airlines accept, and the Delegate messenger as my ‘personal’ item. Never been stopped from taking both on.

A bit pricey, I know, but really worth every penny.

kiwijohn

Henty Wingman for 2-3 night work trips.
    Timbuk2 messenger with camera insert for general duties.

sbob
    Free Member

Had a couple of flights where there has been too much hand luggage and a lot has had to have been transferred to the hold.
    They always pick the hard cases first, and leave the rucksacks to go in the overhead storage.
    Just an observation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just swapped to a hard case, just easier some days to wheel it around rather then carry it, no hassle of they pop it in the hold either as it will be a hard case – if they take them from the plane to the hold it’s normally tagged and handed back as you exit here so not much stress – managed to get a samsonite spinner via Frequent Flyer Points

natrix
    Free Member

Bear in mind that different airiness have slightly different size restrictions so go for the smallest you can so as not to fall foul of even the most stingy of allowances.

Or get one of the ones that have an expander zip so that it can be altered to suit the different size restrictions. Depends on how often you fly as to how much you spend. I got a cheap one from Aldi which is fine for three or four trips a year. 😀

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Wow. Loads of options. Cheers guys decided to go for the Eastpak.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Babs Windsors are gonna be way past their best by now and also I can’t see that title reviving the franchise.

hot_fiat

Eastpack looks great. Generally thiefthrow proof too.

I’d usually be away 5 days a week when I flew LOTS. I gave up with carry on stuff as it was just too much hassle & instead adopted the “Oh Delta you lost my bags? Again? How sad, here’s another bill from the Vans / Oakley / Fox store.” approach.

Standard travelling kit ended up being a 70L Mountain Equipment duffle and Crumpler Cheesy Disco courier. Both were strong, dependable, distinctive and most importantly I could run with them, launch myself through ticket barriers, use the duffle as a bench, table or pillow. The Crumpler even withstood being strapped to the back of my KTM through some atrocious weather.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wow. Loads of options. Cheers guys decided to go for the Eastpak.

I win!

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Depends on the frequency of use, I use my carry on at least three times a month for work.

I bought a second hand Rimowa trolley about ten years ago for £200, I think it will outlast me.

Edit ** Ignore me, clearly I couldn’t read the actual question. **

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Best Bags for Carry On Luggage??’ is closed to new replies.