Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Banksy art removal – racist
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Racist? It does seem to be an attack on the locals who voted for UKIP, should it have been left?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29918326

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wasn’t this the one they just painted over. Would have been worth £300k-£500k I think had they removed it and sold it

DezB
    Free Member

Tendring District Council said one person had complained that the stencil was offensive

Do they really act in such a way due to a complaint by 1 single solitary thick idiot? Words fail me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Dez, I think one person complained/reported it so the council went to look at it. Person made a decision on the spot to paint it over.

DezB
    Free Member

2 morons and a work of art is destroyed. Fantastic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do they really act in such a way due to a complaint by 1 single solitary thick idiot? Words fail me.

Lewes all over again.

That’s the thing about “art”. It’s so subjective. I see that as a bit of graffiti. Just a tidier version of some scrote tagging a wall.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes indeed. Just looked up the story to confirm

BBC link

DezB
    Free Member

That’s the thing about “art”. It’s so subjective. I see that as a bit of graffiti. Just a tidier version of some scrote tagging a wall.

Doesn’t matter what you see it as. Banksy is a recognised artist. So his work is art. Hence Would have been worth £300k-£500k I think had they removed it and sold it

mudshark
    Free Member

It’s all art just much of it is worthless and we don’t want it spoiling our environment. Banksy’s output is deemed desirable and valuable – but he was having a go at them!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Morons yes, work of art destroyed… not so much.

Street art/graffiti whatever you like to call it, by it’s nature is only ever going to have a short lifespan until it’s either painted over by the authorities or covered by a rival writer/artist.

That was until until Banksy’s work started to sell for stupid money and people began cutting up bits of wall and flogging it…

kimbers

ukipers and censorship, theres a surprise

DezB
    Free Member

Also, it could be (have been) seen as a thought-provoking statement on the issues of racism and immigration… definitely not just a dumb bit of graffiti.

jamesfts
    Free Member

just a dumb bit of graffiti.

I’d hazard a guess if you asked the person behind it that is exactly how they’d describe it.

DezB
    Free Member

Like any art, the interpretation is down to the viewer. (Exactly why it shouldn’t be destroyed down to the view of one or two people.)

Anyway, I’m not some Banksy fan-boy, so not sure why I’m bothered about this!

AlexSimon

Surely the fact the councillors targeted in the piece painted over it all adds to the artwork.
    I for one don’t see it as ruined. It’s done its job.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

But but….it’s only censorshuup if racist right wing views are vilified….when UKIPers censor lefties it’s alright because they are all elitist liberal do gooding PC gone mad darkie loving commie pinkos.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

never have I seen a council act so fast.. there is graffiti everywhere but you dont see them making a be line to tidy it up. Pot holes, over grown hedges, cracked pavements, burst water mains, over flowing bins, dog poop every where. Maybe its the ghetto I live in but there are some really good pieces of art where I cycle too!

cookeaa

I’d say Graffiti as “Art” is meant to be a transitory thing, it’s intended to be a temporary statement, graffiti isn’t meant to have preservation orders, assigned “Value” and protection, the Artist typically knows and accepts this, Banksy is no different.

It’s mostly the chattering classes who’ve made his work “Valuable” seeking to preserve and ultimately flog it to one another… And in the process almost entirely missing the point…

The whole point of his work is to make a statement and provoke thought and conversation a picture paints a thousand words and all that.

The fact that it has been removed has done just that, it no longer needs to exist, in fact painting over it has helped drive the point home… Shines another spotlight on the kippers.

Having a piece of work removed by the authorities, that pokes fun at a bunch of xenophobic bigots who are in the process of laying claim to some of that authority is about the best result Banksy could have hoped for IMO…

DezB
    Free Member

@cheekymonkey888 – Complain that the dog poo is racist. They might come and clean it up.

DezB
    Free Member

Having a piece of work removed by the authorities, that pokes fun at a bunch of xenophobic bigots who are in the process of laying claim to some of that authority is about the best result Banksy could have hoped for IMO…

Cool, yep. I will admit STW has slightly altered my view of something. Is that allowed?

D0NK

But there was one message of support[for the council], from a woman currently living in the United States.

that’s alright then

cookeaa

Cool, yep. I will admit STW has slightly altered my view of something. Is that allowed?

So long as it doesn’t happen too often… 😉

richmtb

Surely the fact the councillors targeted in the piece painted over it all adds to the artwork.
    I for one don’t see it as ruined. It’s done its job.

Yep pretty much bang on.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers
    , well the painting wasn’t removed by UKIPers was it ? More like overly sensitive politically correct council workers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surely you can blame the Palestinians for this Jamb?

kimbers

im sure he can junky, banksy’s a sympathiser after all

irc

Removed by council worker for the Tory council. What has UKIP to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendring_District_Council_elections

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Cause it elected a ukip mp all be it a Tory who had jumped ship mind you if you have ever been to clacton they are not sharpest sticks out there, something to do with the salt air I think 😈

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Swallows don’t eat worms.

Waderider
    Free Member

Sigh. That could even be part of the point. You can make up reasons to dislike immigrants/swallows. I don’t see pigeons eating many worms either.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They do do a good line in placards though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

1 person objected to some vandalism so it went?
    Good. We should all be against vandalism.
    I will assume that the building didn’t belong to the painter and that the owners permission wasn’t granted.
    The fact that some jumped up rattle can wielder has made the news is irrelevant.
    The fact that people pay for it is moronic.

kimbers

Zactly the kippers and xenophobia have dominated the by election there, farage even cited the change in clactons demographic as turning him against the eu on LBC phone in today.
    The kippers are dictating the Tory debate, just look at Osborne today trying desperately to magic away £3/4 bn in EU payments in the desperate hope that kipers are gullible enough to believe he’s got that much power.

onehundredthidiot

Oops I thought it was a thought provoking piece on the causation of winter.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Bansksy is just a vandal, but whoever improved this one is an artist:

athgray
    Free Member

I like it and certainly consider it art. Whatever you think of quality of his work and locations/permissions/vandalism etc… this particular piece is very small and appears to brighten up a grubby public lavatory. It was taken down because people did not like it’s message which is anything but racist.

Yes, street art by its nature may not last, but by getting the work up, photographed for posterity and talked about, then Banksy has achieved what he set out to despite its removal.

Euro
    Free Member

Yes, street art by its nature may not last, but by getting the work up, photographed for posterity and talked about, then Banksy has achieved what he set out to despite its removal.

Completely agree. I’d go as far as saying it’s become a more effective piece. A lot more eyes have seen this (and read into it whatever that wanted) now it’s been gone than ever would have in it’s natural environment.

robdob
    Free Member

If it had been painted on my property and I wasn’t particularly attached to the house I would sell up. I can’t stand graffiti, no idea why people think it’s ok to vandalise other people’s property. Just because his stuff has become popular doesn’t suddenly make it not vandalism.
    If I was asked, as a council worker (which I’m not), to paint over it I wouldn’t hesitate.

When he sprays his oh so clever murals on someone else’s property it is then the property owners right to do anything he or she wants to it. Sell the wall for a fortune or paint over it. End of.

yunki
    Free Member

So these little witty social commentaries are vandalism because we didn’t ask him to put them there and Mr and Mrs pus for blood don’t approve of guerilla art

We didn’t ask for billboards, advertising hoardings, ads on buses and taxis, tv ads, the ads on this website.. In fact we didn’t ask for Hollywood blockbusters, newspapers, biased tv, or supermarkets either, but it’s still all there..
    All **** wanton vandalism, and worse, no advertisement is ever a witty social comment, in fact it is the polar opposite, cynical vulgar bullshit that encourages us to sink further into the ever spiralling whirlpool of bullshit consumerism, turning our fractious little backs on humanity whilst we desperately try to heal our sick and diseased souls with retail therapy..

Yet a little colourful doodle with the truth portrayed for fun is criminal activity?

**** up morality man.. Seriously **** twisted up and stinking

5thElefant
    Free Member

We didn’t ask for billboards, advertising hoardings, ads on buses and taxis, tv ads, the ads on this website..

How do you think they pay the bills?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Banksy art removal – racist’ is closed to new replies.