Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Asbestos disposal – How much?!?!?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

White asbestos cement sheets from an old garage roof. Intact and stable.

£27 a sheet been quoted for disposal from a commercial Co.!!!

Are LA’s required to take it from householders?

Cougar

I don’t know about “required,” but my local landfill recycling centre will accept the stuff from the public. They give out bags to put it in. Might be worth asking the question at yours?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Anything on your council’s website – most will take, but only in small quantities (under 10 sheets) usually. I think

EDIT: Just looked on our county council website and they will collect up to 40kg from a house free of charge!

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Environment%20Planning/Recycling-Waste/Recycling/A-Z-guide-waste/Pages/A-B.aspx

Stoner
    Free Member

the council website bangs on about double wrapping in heavy duty plastic. Ive got 15x 8’x3′ sheets of it.

Its not going to jump up and kill anybody, it’s just asbestos cement, not the bogey man.

Will call the council dump in a bit and see what they say.

wwaswas

double wrap it and take it in over a period of time – you’ll be fine

Stoner
    Free Member

result!

recycling depot guy says I can bring it along as it is, but they wont handle it, I have to put it in the asbestos safe myself. Might need to borrow a mate. Asbestos safe has a big enough door apparently.

Only arse is I have to take the V5 up to the library to get a trailer permit first…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Doubt the tip will take it! Just had two weeks of removing sheets from two old factory units! Looking like I was working at Fukushima every day!! However due to my attire one woman neighbour did come up and ask if her washing would be ok 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Big result that one!!

wwaswas

I’d try and bag it anyway – you don’t want to be banging it about and releasing dust all over the place.

Do you need a trailer permit for a car (or is this justfor takign stuff to tip.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d try and bag it anyway

15x 8’x3′ sheets? pffft.

And anyway, it’s chronic exposure to white cement that’s the risk not the odd bit of dust once.

trailer permit is to take a trailer to the dump. You can get “emergency” permits which is what I’ll be doing. Normally I use the camper van with the bed out. They treat it as a car, but I can load it like a commercial van which would normally be banned (no trade waste)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Councils will def take it but only at waste centres with the correct ‘safe’. When I took some up I think we also had to book in a time to take it.
    Just be careful when removing/moving it. The stuff is fairly safe while it’s still cement bound, but is more dangerous if you start breaking it.

rkk01
    Free Member

It may be “white” cement bound sheet, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it only contains chrysotile (white asbestos)…

If it is an old roof (ie pre mid 1980s or so) it may well contain amosite (brown asbestos) or even crocidolite (blue asbestos, but less likely…)

Don’t be stupid for the sake of it, treat the material with some caution – so try to keep it intact without abrading or bashing it. Check that the edges aren’t weathered or frayed. Sometimes it is possible to see if the cement binding is crumbling and fibres being released. If this is the case you’d be pretty irresponsible not to bag it.

hora
    Free Member

Fireplace ‘cheeks’ look suspiciously like asbestos but how can you tell for sure?

Its wire guaze coated in the stuff.

wwaswas

for £20 you can get a huge Damp proof membrane from wickes and just cut that to size, fold that over a few sheets and tape the edges. can’t see it costing much to do that many sheets and you won’t be driving through town scattering bits of asbestos to the four winds everytime the traielr goes over a bump?

wrightyson
    Free Member

The only real way is to send it off for test hora.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ill cover it with a tarp whilst in transit.

Its stable, been removed and stacked. not frayed.
    probably ancient though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It really is a load of old wotsits tho. We had ours taken away via a licensed skip which was no more than a normal skip and all they did when they collected it was put the normal open weave net over it at 5 times the price of course!!!

BigJohn

If one of the jobsworths at our local tip comes to see what you’ve just chucked in one of the 30 different segregated containers (and the security to get in that place is sterner than Tel Aviv airport) just ask “That was the right place for me to dump the asbestos, wasn’t it?”.

hee hee – just watch them run!

Cougar

Fireplace ‘cheeks’ look suspiciously like asbestos but how can you tell for sure?

On the last asbestos thread, someone posted a link to a testing place where you can send samples to be analysed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And anyway, it’s chronic exposure to white cement that’s the risk not the odd bit of dust once.

I didn’t know it worked like that. I understood that it wasn’t the accumulative effect of asbestos which killed you as it never leaves your lungs. I thought that a one off exposure to asbestos could be sufficient to effect you many years later. As this story from the news three weeks ago suggests.

Woman who died from being exposed to asbestos while at school wins compensation in first case of its kind

The Supreme Court ruled that a one off prank involving hiding a blazer amongst some asbestos tiles led to the cause of death. Now I am no expert on asbestos, but I’m sure the Supreme Court had access to the most expert advice and evidence available when deciding whether or not to award almost a quarter of a million pounds.

I reckon a lot of people think that exposure to asbestos is like exposure to cigarettes – as soon as you stop the risks diminish, I certainly used to think that. However with asbestos it would appear that the risks increase over time.

I wouldn’t want to over emphasise the risks associated with removing asbestos cement roof sheets, but to dismiss it as “health and safety gone mad” is plainly stupid.

nuke

On the last asbestos thread, someone posted a link to a testing place where you can send samples to be analysed.

That would have been me. Here you go…

When I find something I think may have asbestos in I use this company…

Cavendish Laboratories

Carefully obtain a small sample, double bag the item you want checked, pop it in the post to them with a covering letter and a cheque for around £10 (Phone and check first). They normally phone with the result then send a letter confirming the result later. Very professional and quick…popped a bit of tile in for testing the other day and they contacted me next day! Worth paying for the peace of mind imo.

I never risk it and always get it checked…it’s horrifying how many products it made it’s way into 🙁

rkk01
    Free Member

It is the health effects that are chronic – ie they can creep up over a period of many 10s of years…

Until very recentely, the recognised thinking was that “one fibre can kill you”. HSE always took the line that a single exposure event could lead to chronic or fatal health effects much later on.

There is some ongoing debate about this, and that view might well be adjusted – but asbestos fibres do remain in the lung once inhaled, so over time even one fibre (or a similar small number) from a single or small number of exposure could result in a long term health impact.

The cigarette analogy is not appropriate for asbestos.

to dismiss it as “health and safety gone mad” is plainly stupid.

Correct

ETA

Carefully obtain a small sample, double bag the item

But to do this you need to disturb the material…

nuke

But to do this you need to disturb the material…

I’d rather take the lower risk of taking the sample and knowing what I’m dealing with, rather than not knowing and just ripping out potentially asbestos containing material. ‘Carefully’ is up to the person taking the sample…suitable P3 mask, disposable gloves, wetting the board, etc. TBH though, in most instances it’s not difficult to find a piece that’s loose due to damage over time or at the time of installation…doesn’t have to be a big sample.

firestarter
    Free Member

Its not going to jump up and kill anybody, it’s just asbestos cement, not the bogey man

I shall have to tell my dad that who is currently still against the odd fighting against mesothelioma despite not working directly with asbestos , and for that matter I best let my mates granddad know his wife didn’t develop it and die after washing his work clothes when he was working with the stuff

rkk01
    Free Member

I’d rather take the lower risk of taking the sample and knowing what I’m dealing with, rather than not knowing and just ripping out potentially asbestos containing material.

Agreed, if it going to be disturbed anyway. My response was in the context of hora’s fireplace…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

£10 a sheet…loike…boss 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Sorry my post probably reads worse than I meant it to be . Just be careful with the stuff no matter what you think it is

Stoner
    Free Member

will do.

hora
    Free Member

Ta, sample taken. Double-bagged and dropped off for a same-day analysis.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

sample taken. Double-bagged and dropped off for a same-day analysis

That sentance coming from Hora has soooo many connotations!

hora
    Free Member

If it was that ‘sample taken’ they would have to remove it from the ceiling, walls, hair and chest of the secretary.

hora
    Free Member

Results negative- question. Within the fireplace apperture there is some brickwork set up to look like a shaping of the flu? Im assuming its not structural..

ourmaninthenorth

Scarily, I’m about to move into a house with an integral garage. the ceiling (below a bedroom – pres. there as fire retardation) is sheeted in white asbestos tiles. Given the place was built in the 1960s, I suspect it isn’t the “cleanest” of asbestos.

AFAIK the sheets are all intact, but what’s the thinking of having it removed anyway?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d assume it is structural until someone who knows has had a look. Otherwise you could bring the whole chimney stack down!

yossarian
    Free Member

Deaths from asbestosis are I believe the biggest cause of occupational health fatalities. Confirmed cases are not predicted to peak until 2018

Anyone who treats it like it’s not important is a ****.

gonefishin
    Free Member

AFAIK the sheets are all intact, but what’s the thinking of having it removed anyway?

To be honest if it is in good condition then there is nothing wrong with asbestos. The biggest risk with intact stuff like you have will probably be damage during removal. Get it inspected but if there isn’t any reason to have it removed then I’d just leave it be. For all the very real harm that asbestos dust can do, it is still a very useful material.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im moving stable, intact, asbestos cement corrugated sheets from a stack at my home to the council dump. I dont think that makes me a ****. But perhaps it makes you one?

nuke

I’d say the same as gonefishin. I’m presuming they are of the cement board variety; if so, you could consider painting them in a suitable asbestos sealer.

yossarian
    Free Member

Chill out man, it wasn’t aimed at you or anyone else for that matter!

hora
    Free Member

No its brickwork to create a flue. **** it, its coming out with my handy lump hammer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Asbestos disposal – How much?!?!?’ is closed to new replies.